Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There Any Reason In The World I Shouldn't Jump On This Trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There Any Reason In The World I Shouldn't Jump On This Trade?

12-team, NL-Only keeper league, 4x4 using K's instead of WHIP.

Situation: With the loss of Chris Narveson and the implosion of Jair Jurrjens, my already-thin pitching rotation is now teetering on the precipice:

Ian Kennedy
    Jon Niese
    Jake Westbrook
    AJ Burnett
    Anthony Bass
    John Axford
    Edward Mujica
    Ernesto Frieri
    Jose Arredondo
    Matt Belisle

With K's as a category, I've got to get a starting pitcher to compete. I have Roy Oswalt stashed on my reserve roster, but who knows if that will come through?

Another owner with a pitching surplus and multiple offensive deficiencies offered up Chad Billingsley or Johan Santana for a quality bat. I replied with an e-mail poor-mouthing Santana a bit - injury risk, topping out at 88, pitching for a crap team - and asked if I had any middle-tier hitters that interested him.

He came back with an offer of Santana ($6) for Ian Desmond ($24).

Huh?!

My offense is a wrecking machine. The loss of Desmond's 15-ish SB will cost me a couple points in the category, but otherwise I can absorb the loss fairly easily.

It seems obvious to me that I should jump on this immediately. Too obvious. Is there something going on with Santana's health that I don't know about? Is he shakier than I think he is? Is this offer the no-brainer that it appears to be, or am I missing something?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

With Santana health risk is huge. I'd shop Desmond around you might be able to do better, but if you're desperate to make the move now, go for it.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      With Santana health risk is huge. I'd shop Desmond around you might be able to do better, but if you're desperate to make the move now, go for it.
      I understand the injury concern, but Desmond isn't exactly a hot commodity in my league. I think everybody dropped out of the bidding at $14 before I eventually outbid one other guy at $24.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

The Mets say they will often give him an extra day off, and they plan to go to a 6-man rotation for stretches this year to benefit him. They'll be careful with his innings.

That limits the "high side" - but also the risk. Seems like a decent trade for you.....
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I'm with elD on this one - jump all over it. Sure, Johan comes with a boatload of risk, but for $6 AND your needs at pitcher, I'd be all over it right now.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Seems pretty fair to me. If Johan pitches like he did his last time out it's a coup for you, but if he goes on the shelf again then you've lost not only a quality MI but the ability to trade from your surplus. It's definitely risky, but I think it's worth it.

Comment

Given your pitching needs, you should do it, even if it's not terribly overwhelming in your favor. Santana has pitched far better than anyone thought at draft time, but he still comes with the injury risk.

Comment

Working...
              X