Carlos Santana for Jon Lester?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Santana for Jon Lester?

I have been offered John Lester and AJ Pierzynski (or Soto) for Carlos Santana. This is a competitive 14-team H2H league, daily subs, that stresses good pitching and run production. The team offering the trade is my arch-rival, and this qualifies as a blockbuster.

As a points league, our scoring stresses RBI and runs, so Santana is right up there with Napoli. All other catchers are two tiers below. But I feel good about my offense and need pitching. Pitching scores big, with quality innings, Ks and wins. For us, a save is about the same as an HR and a double.

Here is my offense (we use career position eligibility):
    OF: Holliday, D. Young, BJ Upton, Kubel, Ross
    1B: Pena, Ike
    2B: Alexei Ramirez, Lowrie, Raburn
    3B: Aramis, Encarnacion, Lowrie
    SS: Tulo, Lowrie, Alexei
    C: Santana, Hundley

My pitchers: Shields, CJ Wilson, Buerhle, Minor, Floyd, Niemann, Hughes, Bard, Blanton (have Wang and Dice-K stashed on the DL) ... closers are Santiago, Capps (Farnsworth on the DL) ... Bard?

I really like Santana and wonder if Lester is enough ... I would be left with AJ and Hundley at catcher, but my offense looks good to me. Is Lester a Tier One pitcher ... he used to be ... And: Is AJ better than Soto?

all thoughts are welcome ... thanks!

Now that you are comfortable with the idea of trading Santana, find a better deal.

I do think AJ is better than Soto.

Comment

I say go for it if it's not a keeper league, but stay away from Soto. If you can keep Santana, I'm not sure what I'd do.

Comment

I can keep Santana (5 keepers) ... I agree that Lester is on the cusp of what I would want, but it's no stretch to see him winning 16 and piling up quality starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nor'easters View Post
          I can keep Santana (5 keepers) ... I agree that Lester is on the cusp of what I would want, but it's no stretch to see him winning 16 and piling up quality starts.
          Lester may do that. He may not. I think Santana should get you a better pitcher.

I also would not want to help my "arch rival" and certainly would not do it for a question mark. Lester may be a slow starter but his era is 6.00 and whip 1.50.

There must be someone near the bottom that would trade a better pitcher for him?

Comment

The only other likely trading partner with a pitcher who is better has Greinke ... and would probably throw Salty in as the catcher to replace Santana

Comment

I'm not sure you can lose Santana's bat.
              Can you clarify the point system used by your league (both hitters and pitchers). This would help evaluate both players.

Comment

I agree about losing the bat ... it's a black hole at C.
                Our scoring basically gives 1.5 points for an RBI and 1 point for a run ... it adds up to 3.25 points for an HR, 4.75 points for a 2-run HR.
                A solid pitching win (say 7 innings, 2 ERs, 6 Ks) adds up to about 15-17 points.
                We plays 3 and 4 day games and can have 5 SPs in a game.

Comment

Working...
                X