• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imagine if he had a 2nd pitch...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      imagine if he had a 2nd pitch...
      He is throwing a changeup and a slider, I believe. They are not particularly good pitches, but coupled with that filthy fastball at 94, he is proving quite effective. We'll see what the batters do to adjust.
      Bearin' up!

Comment

I'm still pissed that I mismanaged my FAAB money last year and was only able to throw a 2 buck bid on Tony...Hammer won him with a 3 dollar bid. If I would have had the cash, I would have bid 5 and been smiling today, instead of cursing Pete...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'd own Cingrani today if Cueto hadn't gotten hurt a couple of days before our April 15 farmhand draft.

Another owner picking ahead of me had inquired about picking him up as an MLB guy after the Cueto news, so I had to clarify for him that he was eligible in the farm draft instead, as he had not yet been brought up by Reds. The guy then made him the pick.

I wanted him because I have a shallow SP staff and he was Leake insurance...

#sigh
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I was pretty happy to pick Cingrani up in our MINORS draft. As such he'll be $1 for 2014.
            -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

"necessary evil" is redundant.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

NR's the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasies. --- Pat Benatar

Comment

personally i think his success is short-lived. but that shortness might last this entire season, which means he's a good pickup for a year.
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
                He is throwing a changeup and a slider, I believe. They are not particularly good pitches, but coupled with that filthy fastball at 94, he is proving quite effective. We'll see what the batters do to adjust.
                he has thrown 311 pitches so far, 252 of which have been fastballs. 19 changeups and 40 breaking balls. 33 of his 41 swings and misses have come off his fastball

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  I'm still pissed that I mismanaged my FAAB money last year and was only able to throw a 2 buck bid on Tony...Hammer won him with a 3 dollar bid. If I would have had the cash, I would have bid 5 and been smiling today, instead of cursing Pete...
                  I love all the Cingrani bashing and micro assessment.......where would some of you be in the standings if you had him...LOL
                  Apparently minor league and big league hitters don't read pundit boards...hell, he could turn out to be a short term wonder; however, I'm going to enjoy him for the short and hopefully the long term and I'm rooting for the kid.

Anyway..Hey Steve....You need to watch my back and step it up to keep JC off my ass ; )

PS: MJ always seems to have a propensity for sharing true perspective.....interesting pitch stats sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    he has thrown 311 pitches so far, 252 of which have been fastballs. 19 changeups and 40 breaking balls. 33 of his 41 swings and misses have come off his fastball
                    two questions:

1) re this Fangraphs article about Cingrani and Shelby Miller -- why does it feel like I've never heard the same criticisms about Miller? Is his off-speed stuff actually decent and he just isn't throwing it much or am I just not reading the articles about Miller as closely?

2) So he's throwing a little over 80% fastballs (which doesn't quite match the number in that article but it's close enough) and he's getting a little over 80% of his swinging strikes on fastballs. Notwithstanding the actual pitch selection, is that normal to have about the same swinging strike rate on fastballs and off-speed pitches? I'm not sure how to look that up.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      so I got a Red and I screwed Hornsby?

After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

and optioned to AAA today....I hope people sold high while they could

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          two questions:

1) re this Fangraphs article about Cingrani and Shelby Miller -- why does it feel like I've never heard the same criticisms about Miller? Is his off-speed stuff actually decent and he just isn't throwing it much or am I just not reading the articles about Miller as closely?

2) So he's throwing a little over 80% fastballs (which doesn't quite match the number in that article but it's close enough) and he's getting a little over 80% of his swinging strikes on fastballs. Notwithstanding the actual pitch selection, is that normal to have about the same swinging strike rate on fastballs and off-speed pitches? I'm not sure how to look that up.
                          2. I don't remember how to look it up, either, but I am pretty certain that offspeed stuff usually has a much higher swinging strike rate than fastballs.

Comment

Working...
                          X