long way off -- Tony Cingrani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long way off -- Tony Cingrani

I got sucked in by his amazing numbers in rookie ball last year (51 innings, 35 hits, 6 walks, 80 strikeouts, 1.75 ERA) and took him as a long-range prospect. He's in high-A this year and through three games: 17 innings, 8 hits, 4 walks, 20 strikeouts, 0.53 ERA. He's a long way off but you might want to think about him at some point.

He was a reliever in college after failing as a started but Cincy switched him back to starting.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

thanks for the tip, never heard of him.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

against the Stockton Ports tonight: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K.

(also Billy Hamilton had three singles and stole four bases, but who cares about him.)
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I just dropped Tim Wheeler for him. Tim Wheeler was snatched up 5 minutes later. I hope I made the right move. Wheeler has a hamate injury right now, and doesn't look like he'll make the show until he's 25 years old. Cingrani's upside was too tempting.

Comment

man am I getting fixated on this guy.

5 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 9 K, 0 ER, ERA down to 0.32.

Comment

Obviously workload may end up being a problem for this converted reliever. Also, we should remember that many advanced, smart pitchers can dominate like this in the low minors. Another guy I own, Robbie Erlin comes to mind. Not that Erlin is a bad prospect by any means, of course. I'm just saying these stats don't necessray push Cingrani into the upper echelon of SP prospects. Nevertheless, I'm still grateful to you for pointing him out. He wasn't on my radar at all.

Comment

the man-crush returns!

He's in AA now. last night, 8 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 15 K (including 10 of the first 11 batters). totals after a month in AA: 2.15 ERA, 29.1 IP, 22 H, 8 BB, 38 K.

Comment

Needs a curveball. He's a two-pitch guy for the most part but lacks a breaking ball

Comment

I've been watching this guy closely but everyone keeps saying he's likely a reliever in the majors.
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                    I've been watching this guy closely but everyone keeps saying he's likely a reliever in the majors.
                    needs the 3rd pitch

For the record, the same thing was said about Alex Cobb when he was in AA/AAA and then today's quote by Perrotto from a scout:

Rays right-hander Alex Cobb: "This kid has a chance to be really good. His fastball command is much better this season, and he's working both sides of the plate with it. His changeup and curveball are better, too, but what I really like is it seems like he can get a ground ball anytime he needs one."

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      Needs a curveball. He's a two-pitch guy for the most part but lacks a breaking ball
                      that was my thought... guys can get by on two pitches in the lower minors and often get slotted as a starter to get innings.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

After today, he's on a 27.2 inning streak of not giving up an earned run (he had one unearned today). AA numbers: 49 innings, 30 hits, 17 walks, 52 strikeouts, 1.29 ERA.

Comment

Law's last chat:

Dave (Connecticut)
                          Just curious as to where Tony Cingrani would fall if you were to rank another 50 prospects? Thanks.

Klaw
                          (1:12 PM)
                          Probably in the last 25. Scouts like him but he's doing this more or less with one pitch.
                          that means somewhere in 76-100 range.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            Law's last chat:

that means somewhere in 76-100 range.
                            At least he's starting to crack the top 100. With stats like this, it is hard not to put him in the top 100. It is sort of amazing that he can dominate like his is with just one pitch. In A ball, sure, but AA has some quality hitters.

Comment

final stats for the minor league season:

high-A: 56.2 IP, 71 K, 13 BB, 1.11 ERA
                              AA: 89.1 IP, 101 K, 39 BB, 2.12 ERA

He's being called up for bullpen use in September. He had the second-lowest ERA (1.73) among minor league pitchers who threw at least 100 innings this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X