Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Roy Halladay make it to 300 career wins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I do think ERA+ starts to fail during extreme pitching seasons."

Agreed.
    Of course, counting stats get a little skewed during extreme pitching-advantageous situations as well. It's easier to strike people out when it's nearly impossible to hit it out of the ballpark, for instance. Maddux and Johnson and friends didn't pitch in those sort of environments.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      "I do think ERA+ starts to fail during extreme pitching seasons."

Agreed.
      Of course, counting stats get a little skewed during extreme pitching-advantageous situations as well. It's easier to strike people out when it's nearly impossible to hit it out of the ballpark, for instance. Maddux and Johnson and friends didn't pitch in those sort of environments.
      Meh...Maddux got a 24" wide strike zone pretty routinely.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Pedro, Big Unit, Clemens, and Maddux were all pitching at the same time. We should consider ourselves lucky to have been witnesses to perhaps the greatest foursome in terms of pitchers in the history of the game.
        Johnson, Matheson, Grove and Hubble. Did I miss anyone?

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          Johnson, Matheson, Grove and Hubble. Did I miss anyone?

J
          I assumed he meant "foursome" in that they grouped by being part of the same era.

If that's the case, your foursomes might be
          Johnson, Mathewson, Cy Young, Alexander
          and
          Grove, Hubble, Dean, maybe Vance (Feller comes in a littletoo late for the group)
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
            I assumed he meant "foursome" in that they grouped by being part of the same era.

If that's the case, your foursomes might be
            Johnson, Mathewson, Cy Young, Alexander
            and
            Grove, Hubble, Dean, maybe Vance (Feller comes in a littletoo late for the group)
            Yeah, Walter doesn't really overlap Grove and Hubble too much. For all the guys being in their primes, the modern 4 is tough to beat.

Alexander, Johnson, Matty and whatever random 4th guy you want to add (Joss, Walsh, Brown, etc) is probably the only group that can match Maddux/Unit/Pedro/Clemens. Gibson, Palmer, Seaver, Carlton never really overlapped at their peaks.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Yeah, Walter doesn't really overlap Grove and Hubble too much. For all the guys being in their primes, the modern 4 is tough to beat.

Alexander, Johnson, Matty and whatever random 4th guy you want to add (Joss, Walsh, Brown, etc) is probably the only group that can match Maddux/Unit/Pedro/Clemens. Gibson, Palmer, Seaver, Carlton never really overlapped at their peaks.
              How about Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Juan Marichal, and Whitey Ford?
              Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Working...
              X