Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yahoo Commissioner Question - Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo Commissioner Question - Need Help!

My friends and I are totally new to fantasy baseball. But after having played fantasy football for many years together, we are jumping over to the baseball world to see if we like it. We're starting the league late and through Yahoo

Had a question about the waiver setting:
    What does the Yahoo's "allow roster changes" mean? I have it currently set to "Weekly on Monday"

Is that referring to the date transactions are processed or the date when people can only set their starting rosters and move bench players?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That's the date you can change your active rosters.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

So are all transactions processed immediately then?

What's the benefit of allowing roster changes of just once a week?
      Last edited by ; 04-09-2012, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by edytwinky View Post
        So are all transactions processed immediately then?

What's the benefit of allowing roster changes of just once a week?
        I've been in leagues that do both. With weekly roster changes it avoids "streaming" pitchers---activating them the night they start and then replacing them with another pitcher the next night.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          I've been in leagues that do both. With weekly roster changes it avoids "streaming" pitchers---activating them the night they start and then replacing them with another pitcher the next night.
          Cavebird, which do you prefer?

Also how did you have your Yahoo settings for waiver pickups? Were they immediate?

Comment

A lot of your choices on these settings are really dependent on who's in your league and if they want to be paying attention every day. If you don't like streaming pitchers (or position players or whatever) you can apply an innings limit or a limit of 162 games played per active position on the roster. In leagues that have daily moves and no innings/moves cap, streaming is almost certainly the "right" strategy, in that you can have an average-ish pitching staff -- very good in wins and strikeouts, mediocre to bad in ERA and WHIP -- for basically free, since there will always be pitchers available who are going to start if you don't have a very deep league and if you don't care much if they're good pitchers, and so you can spend most of your early draft picks on hitting and closers.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Allowing daily changes can get pretty bad, especially in leagues with a deep bench. The more casual owners can get run over by someone rotating pitchers.

As an example, consider what San Diego and Seattle pitchers do at home vs road:
              home/road era
              San Diego: 3.02/3.87
              Seattle: 3.69/4.16
              MLB (including SD and SEA): 3.82/4.07

In the case of those two teams, you'd probably also start SD pitchers at San Francisco and Seattle pitchers at Oakland.
              So you can inexpensively load up a staff with a good era and whip. The won/loss percentage still wouldn't be great, but you could overcome that with sheer numbers of innings.
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Thanks you guys have been very helpful thus far. Very helpful.

So if you do roster changes on mondays only, can owners on Yahoo still make their regular waiver moves at anytime during the week.

Comment

Yes that is right. Essentially you set your lineup once per week which determines which players accumulate stats for your team that week. You can add and drop players whenever you want, but the transactions don't take effect until the next Monday. For example say I have Aceves on my team this week, then drop him in a fit of pique for Santiago on Wednesday. Aceves will continue to get stats through Sunday, and then Santiago can be placed in the lineup starting on Monday.

We have used this format for over 10 years on Yahoo without problems. Note that for weekly lineups the deadline is midnight Pacific time (3am Eastern time). So a Monday deadline is probably 3am Monday, meaning you'd have to set your lineups on Sunday night.

Comment

Working...
                  X