Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzie Loves Fidel

Linky - http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen will travel to Miami on Monday night and address the media and the people of the Cuban community regarding comments about Fidel Castro that he made in a Time Magazine article.

The Time Magazine article, which appeared online on Friday, begins by quoting Guillen as saying, "I love Fidel Castro," and then continues with further explanation.

"I respect Fidel Castro," Guillen said in the article. "You know why? A lot of people have wanted to kill Fidel Castro for the last 60 years, but that [expletive] is still here."

The Miami Marlins released a statement Friday in response to the article.

"We are aware of the article," the team said. "There is nothing to respect about Fidel Casto. He is a brutal dictator who has caused unthinkable pain for more than 50 years. We live in a community filled with victims of this dictatorship, and the people in Cuba continue to suffer today."

Since the story was released, Guillen says he has not slept well for three nights.

"I have to wear it. I have to face it," he said. "I have to grab the bull by the horns. I will do it tomorrow. They asked me about media. I want the people there. Whoever feels like asking me a question, I will answer."
    Let the good times roll...
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Much to do about nothing.

Comment

Let Ozzie be Ozzie. This Miami team may be the most dysfunctional team we have seen in a long, long time.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        *ado

You do have to hand it to Fidel, though. He's one tough mofo to kill.
        And he had all the charisma. Even well after he stepped down and handed over the reins to his brother, he is the lightening rod.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          *ado
          That would be Shakespeare...I am no Shakespeare.

Comment

This will not go over well in the Cuban community in Miami. Of all the dumb things he could have said as a new manager in Miami, this is up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              This will not go over well in the Cuban community in Miami. Of all the dumb things he could have said as a new manager in Miami, this is up there.
              The fact that Guillen is actually apologizing says quite a bit. Loria and/or Samson must have went absolutely ballistic on him. Miami's Congressional Rep and Mayor were both born in Cuba...
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Yeah, it's like becoming manager of the Mets and giving big ups to Mahmoud Ahmedinejad.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  Yeah, it's like becoming manager of the Mets and giving big ups to Mahmoud Ahmedinejad.
                  Ha yeah. Exactly.
                  Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I'm still stunned that Castro didn't trade stepping down for an end to the embargo, come on, if we can normalize our relationship with Vietnam, how can we still have this bug up our ass about Cuba
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Our Cuba policy is merely stupid. Ozzie is, well... something worse. I'm waiting for him to talk about his respect for NAMBLA or the Klan. Yeesh.

That being said, he's also right-- Castro does deserve respect-- the guy has sat 60 some odd miles off shore of the greatest power the world has ever known and told it what it can do with itself. Anyone who doesn't have respect for that aspect of what Castro has pulled off is as dumb as Ozzie is for saying that he has some
                      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        I'm still stunned that Castro didn't trade stepping down for an end to the embargo, come on, if we can normalize our relationship with Vietnam, how can we still have this bug up our ass about Cuba
                        This one is easy. Remember 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          Or to Bernie Madoff...
                          2021 Auction Anatomy
                          2021 Keeper Decisions
                          2020 Auction Anatomy
                          2020 Pre-Auction
                          2015 Auction Anatomy
                          2014 Auction Anatomy
                          2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                          RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Ozzie suspended for 5 games, is it still 1963?

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Ozzie suspended for 5 games, is it still 1963?

http://www.local10.com/sports/Guille...z/-/index.html
                              It's the free market. The Marlins are a private employer with a customer base that includes many anti-Castro Cubans. When an employee insults or offends the customers, they'll frequently find themselves looking for a job. In that context, Ozzie is lucky to get off with a 5-game suspension. Again, this ain't about free speech or politics. It's ultimately about business.

Comment

Working...
                              X