No announcement yet.

The Best Baseball Broadcasting Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree that the Mets TV team is probably the very best. I always choose them over whatever the choice is for a given game.

For the record, I believe that was Keith Hernandez doing color last night, not Darling.

Comment

That is one thing I really love about Gary Cohen. He is a massive Mets fan who can on the drop of a hat provide any kind of trivia imaginable about the history of the franchise, but he still remains extremely objective and fair in his play by play. No sugar coating, no bias. He just tells it like it is. Darling is pretty close to him in lack of bias. Keith Hernandez does have some homer moments from my experience, but Gary's mindset does bleed over onto him a lot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        within a 5-minute span tonight Met announcers Gary Cohen & Ron Darling said:
        1) that Justin Turner made no attempt to get out of the way of a HBP, even calling it a "Dick Dietz" play;
        2) that Josh Thole did interfere with a play by Posey to throw him out; and
        3) Thole ran inside the baseline on the grass, prompting Darling to say "you can't do that."

Is it just me or is it refreshing to hear a home team announcing crew call it like it is, rather than through team-colored glasses? I could NEVER imagine Homer Harrelson even coming close to something like this exchange.
        They're consistently my favorite.

Comment

I've never heard Vin Scully make an error, but for the last 5 minutes he's repeatedly called Jason Castro "Juan Castro" -- the former Dodger scrub SS.
          just don't ask him to read a "twit" lol

~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

within a 5-minute span tonight Met announcers Gary Cohen & Ron Darling said:
            1) that Justin Turner made no attempt to get out of the way of a HBP, even calling it a "Dick Dietz" play;
            2) that Josh Thole did interfere with a play by Posey to throw him out; and
            3) Thole ran inside the baseline on the grass, prompting Darling to say "you can't do that."

Is it just me or is it refreshing to hear a home team announcing crew call it like it is, rather than through team-colored glasses? I could NEVER imagine Homer Harrelson even coming close to something like this exchange.
            It's comical listening to Harelson and Stoney. You can't go five minutes without hearing them be critical of the home plate umpires balls and strike calling.

Comment

With all apologies to Hawk Harrelson, this is merely one example of why John Sterling should always top every list of worst baseball announcers:
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Sterling and Harrelson top the list, but the Reds' continued employment of Jeff Brantley mystifies me. Dumb as a small soap dish, awful speaking voice, consistent mispronunciation of names, can't read scores or counts off the scoreboard, and talks incessantly about non-baseball things like his ice cream habit. I know Marty Brenneman is used to sharing a booth with an idiot, since he's worked a lot with his own son, but I still fully expect him to lose it on the air some night and strangle Brantley. No jury would convict.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

I just got a call from my mother, who's no big baseball fan but who likes to have the game on when she's doing other things--

"Do you have the game on?"
                  "Yeah, but with the sound off, that way I can tolerate the announcers."
                  "Well, the one with the heavy Southern accent just said, 'When you're standing still, you have no momentum.'"
                  [Silence]
                  "Are you there?"
                  "Yes, but I'm too stunned to have a quick reply."
                  "Does he say things like this a lot?"
                  "Yes, and that's a new low."
                  "OK, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with my hearing aid."
                  "No, Mom, he says things like that and apparently no one ever corrects him."

I don't understand how you can work with someone who says things that are that stupid and not react. Are his fellow announcers under orders? Have they tuned him out completely? Or are they as dumb as he is?
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

Working...
                  X