All things Los Angeles Dodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things Los Angeles Dodgers

Inspired by GitH's insight in the Padres thread I decided to revisit the thread from last year concerning all things Dodgers. While I didn't get to follow spring training as closely as I usually do, here are a few observations from opening day:

- When I heard pre-game that Kershaw had a bad case of the flu I expected the worst. When I saw him throw his first few pitches I expected it to be even worse. Luckily he was able to gut out 3 great innings but part of that was the Padres' meager offense. No reason to expect him to regress this year.

- Kemp is still a beast although his steal attempt today looked more 2010 than 2011. He did get nicked on a good pitch to throw on so hopefully it's just an anomaly.

- Uribe still looks like crap but unfortunately there isn't an obvious replacement. If the Dodgers are close to contention by the time the trade deadline rolls around, look for the new owners to try and make a big splash for a 3B (David Wright?)

- Kenley Jansen's fastball really lacked life today, sitting at 89-91 and only touching the mid-90's once or twice. His amazing K-rate from last year was mainly due to 93-96 MPH fastballs aided by a deceptive delivery, so a dip to the low-90's could hurt his effectiveness.

- Dee Gordon was swinging at EVERYTHING today and unsurprisingly he struck out 3 times. It may have been opening day nerves but he'll have to be more selective if his BA is going to stay above .250. Luckily for him there are absolutely no alternatives in the minors so he has a very long leash.

That's about it from opening day...GO BLUE!

I remember you starting that one but couldn't find it. Oh well, fresh start I guess

Comment

A few more notes:

- Kenley Jansen looked pretty bad on Thursday when he gave up the homer to Maybin, but apparently he has corrected a mechanical flaw since he was throwing in the mid-90's tonight as opposed to the 89-91 he was sitting at before. Guerra still has a pretty good hold on the closing gig, but Jansen should be one of the best setup men in the game in the meantime.

- It's possible Dee Gordon was simply nervous on opening day because he looked much more comfortable at the plate tonight. He reached base 5 times tonight and predictably stole 3 bases. Even if his BA sits closer to .260 than .300 he should easily steal 50 bases.

- Capuano was looking good until completely losing his control in the 5th. His fastball lacked zip - sitting 88-92 - but a K-prone Padres line-up still struck out 4 times in 4 2/3 IP. The spring stats were nice, but don't expect much more than a low-4's ERA, 1.30 WHIP, and around 160 K's from Capuano this year.

- Uribe only pinch-hit tonight, but he still looked like crap. Kennedy got the start ahead of him tonight, but he's pretty crappy also. Justin Sellers might get a chance at extra playing time since he has some pop and is pretty slick with the glove.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Sellers has zero pop outside of Albuquerque, sad to say. The Dodgers MI situation is dire outside of Gordon, at best. Sellers is a reasonable enough utility guy due to his glove.
        I'm not saying he'll be a 20 HR guy, just that he could be a .270 hitter with 15 homers if given the at-bats (as an absolute maximum). My point is that the Dodgers' 3rd base position is so bereft of talent that NL-only leaguers might be able to find some value in Sellers if he's handed the job. As a Dodger fan I hope they continue their winning ways and trade for someone who'll make an impact, but otherwise I just hope they don't stick with Uribe too long.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          A few more notes:

- Kenley Jansen looked pretty bad on Thursday when he gave up the homer to Maybin, but apparently he has corrected a mechanical flaw since he was throwing in the mid-90's tonight as opposed to the 89-91 he was sitting at before. Guerra still has a pretty good hold on the closing gig, but Jansen should be one of the best setup men in the game in the meantime.

- It's possible Dee Gordon was simply nervous on opening day because he looked much more comfortable at the plate tonight. He reached base 5 times tonight and predictably stole 3 bases. Even if his BA sits closer to .260 than .300 he should easily steal 50 bases.

- Capuano was looking good until completely losing his control in the 5th. His fastball lacked zip - sitting 88-92 - but a K-prone Padres line-up still struck out 4 times in 4 2/3 IP. The spring stats were nice, but don't expect much more than a low-4's ERA, 1.30 WHIP, and around 160 K's from Capuano this year.

- Uribe only pinch-hit tonight, but he still looked like crap. Kennedy got the start ahead of him tonight, but he's pretty crappy also. Justin Sellers might get a chance at extra playing time since he has some pop and is pretty slick with the glove.
          I don't get why people are so convinced that Guerra can't hold the job for good. Jansen is far more valuable in his current role than he would be coming in for the 9th...he's a shut down set-up guy who's got a very tough closer coming in behind him.

I believe that the Dodgers walked 15 last night, something they'll really have to keep an eye on.

OTOH, I do believe that Kemp should repeat his MVP performance of last year (yeah, you read that right, Braun lovers), and maybe even do better with a healthy Eithier around.

But sadly, James Loney is looking like the bad James Loney again...I'll take 10 and 80, I really will. I wan't more, but I'm a realist...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yeah, Loney hasn't looked too good so far, but he's always been an extremely streaky guy. What pissed me off was him swinging at a 3-0 pitch in his first at-bat yesterday and hitting a lazy fly ball to center. I'll let you know when he starts roping line drives and hopefully you can pick him up for one of his hot streaks.

I agree about Jansen. Sure it sucks for his fantasy owners and maybe even his arbitration figures, but it's what's best for the team. Better to have a guy who can strike out the side when inheriting runners than be given a cushy 3-run lead in the 9th.

Comment

I blew 20 on Loney last year, tossed him back - and got him back for.... 20.

sigh
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Does Gordon run every time he gets on base? I'm loving it so far!!
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  I blew 20 on Loney last year, tossed him back - and got him back for.... 20.

sigh
                  Well my friend I warned you. The tossing was good. The getting back...not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Yes he does. he's trying to shed some excess weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      He'll be a fun one to watch. 4 singles and 3 BB's so far this year, so he has been on 1st base 7 times. 5 SB and 1 CS. I imagine at least one of those might have been a steal of 3rd base, but still, that's a Vince Coleman green light ratio.

But he is hitting .200 with 7 Ks in 30 ABs. Hope for your sake he sticks around.

Comment

have an article going up at BPro today on Gordon and his chances at stealing 80 bases this season

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          have an article going up at BPro today on Gordon and his chances at stealing 80 bases this season
                          At least let me trade for him first!

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                            He'll be a fun one to watch. 4 singles and 3 BB's so far this year, so he has been on 1st base 7 times. 5 SB and 1 CS. I imagine at least one of those might have been a steal of 3rd base, but still, that's a Vince Coleman green light ratio.

But he is hitting .200 with 7 Ks in 30 ABs. Hope for your sake he sticks around.
                            He needs to get on base more than his early season clip, but he can get away with a little lighter OBP if he keeps scoring runs how he did the other day.

Single, steal 2nd, advance to 3rd on groundout, score on groundout with 1 out. That was the difference in their 2-1 win over Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post

Actually more for his sake
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                              X