X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my only Closer Bailey, help with auction draft strategy

12 team AL only 5x5 roto keeper $260 draft day cap

so I have Bailey at $11 for this year and next and he's out 3-4 months

Question #1, do I hang onto him or throw him back in on draft day and save the $11, but I can't bid on him.

Questions #2, do I draft according to strength and bulid on that to make an in season trade. In the draft 4-5 teams will need a closer, 4 teams have 2 closers and the only for sure one in the draft is Rivera.

Possible saves in the draft, (Bos)Melancon, Aceves, (KC)Broxton, (NYY)Soriano, (TEX)Adams, (TOR)Cordero, (SEA)Wilhelmsen, (MINN)Perkins, (DET)Benoit, CHW)Reed, Santigao, BALT)Gregg,Lindstrom

my Keepers (hitting) Wieters,Hosmer,Pedroia,Escobar,Longoria,Zobrist,Re imold,Gentry and Dirks
    Keepers (SP) Shields,CJ,Holland and Gomez

Have $90 to spend on 8 (need 1c,1ci,1of,1dh,4p) players or $101 to spend on 9 if I drop Bailey

My draft is on a few days

Thanks

P.S. I hate closers and the save catagory lol

I would not keep Bailey. I would try to pick up a guy or two who could pick up some saves, but I wouldn't spend much money.

Here's the question that jumps out at me, though. You're freezing Reimold, Gentry and Dirks, which probably means they are your #3, #4 and #5 outfielders. I don't know what prices they are, but all three of these guys are #5 outfielders. One of them might be a #4. But keeping these guys pretty much dooms your outfield to mediocrity unless you add Jacoby Ellsbury and Jose Bautista.

I'm not trying to be overly critical here, but sometimes people over-freeze. Your other offensive freezes are fine players.

While we're at it, your pitcher freezes are C.J. Wilson, James Shields, Derek Holland and Jeanmar Gomez? Which one of these is not like the others? Two excellent #1 starters, a pretty good middle rotation guy, but Gomez doesn't look like a freeze to me, even at a dollar. You could almost certainly do better in the auction.

Comment

I'm with Lucky on most of his comments. I do disagree with him on Reimold - I just don't think Endy Chavez will be an adequate answer in Baltimore's OF, and they'll go to Reimold sooner instead of later. If Gentry is dirt cheap, he's worth it for SBs alone since he made the team and Borbon was sent down. But I'd toss Dirks back in.

And I'd keep Jeanmar Gomez only if I had to.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I'm with Lucky on most of his comments. I do disagree with him on Reimold - I just don't think Endy Chavez will be an adequate answer in Baltimore's OF, and they'll go to Reimold sooner instead of later. If Gentry is dirt cheap, he's worth it for SBs alone since he made the team and Borbon was sent down. But I'd toss Dirks back in.

And I'd keep Jeanmar Gomez only if I had to.
        We're not too far apart. I didn't say dump all of them, just that you can't keep three #5 outfielders. Reimold may be a #4. If I'm going to keep one, it's Reimold. If I'm going to call Reimold a #4 and keep one of the others as a #5, Gentry is wicked fast. He has a terrible batting eye, but if he gets on base, he'll steal.

One of the bad things of keeping a #4 and #5 outfielder, though, is that it cuts down on your chances of picking up a steal of a deal on a dollar outfielder.

Of course, we could put a better spin on this if we knew what the salaries are. That could make all the difference.

Comment

The plan was to go after a stud CI ($30-35) and a pretty good OF ($20-30) to fill my last spot. A $1 catcher and leave the DH open until the end to see if there are any bargins. I kept Gentry because he's a $1 and should be good for 20sb's. Dirks is $1 and he should seee a good amount of time against righties and he has a little pop and speed (maybe 10/14). SB guys go for too much in the draft, even the 15-20sb part time guys. Reimold I may regret, but I saw a fulltime gig and 20/14possible.

With the lack of pitching in the draft, Gomez made the team at the end and for $2 I thought he could bring some value and not hurt me.

I had planned to use about $20 on another mid tier starter

Comment

Hmmm...you're more optimistic about Dirks than I am, and if you really believe he's good for 10/14, you absolutely keep him for a buck.

To your original question, though, I'd toss Bailey in.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yeh, I'm leaning that way. Would give me another $11 to spend. I'm not going after Rivera for $30+. I'll try to pick up a few potential save guys in the $1-5 range and get myself a couple of stud $30 bats to make my offense a real strength and then a middle tier SPer in the $20 range and call it a draft. I'll see how my team is looking after the first month and see if I want to trade offense for a closer.

Comment

Working...
              X