X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Votto 10yrs/225M

NL only people rejoice - you've retained one

Now I can go buy my Votto jersey......
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Bummer. Votto would have looked real nice like in Dodger blue next year.
      Except that his current contract wouldn't have expired until after 2013.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
        Except that his current contract wouldn't have expired until after 2013.
        Yeah but there was speculation that if the Reds didn't think they could sign him, they might not have wanted to pay him $17mil next year.

Amazing deal for Votto... is this the start of teams realizing that they can't spend on the draft or Latin America anymore, so they'd better spend it somewhere?

Comment

i love this deal, because my favorite team is in the same division as cincy. the reds won't be able to re-sign phillips next year or be able to dole out big contracts to anyone for some time. unless they have a money tree i don't know about. basically they lock themselves out of being able to lock up big young talent long term. the reds will be crippled the last 3-4 years of this contract. here are my thoughts via twitter yesterday: as a #brewers fan i love seeing the reds tie up all that $ in #Votto. wish StL had done the same w Albert. have fun with that payroll cincy.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Yeah but there was speculation that if the Reds didn't think they could sign him, they might not have wanted to pay him $17mil next year.

Amazing deal for Votto... is this the start of teams realizing that they can't spend on the draft or Latin America anymore, so they'd better spend it somewhere?
            Doubt it. I think it's about risk/reward (1B deemed "safer" bets) and also TV revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              NL only people rejoice - you've retained one
              Agreed, Jason. But the reality is still pretty grim: Top 10 AL payrolls averaged $117m; Top 10 NL payrolls averaged $97m. 20% shortfall. AND the DH/no-DH disparity only exacerbates the situation. Would Detroit have rolled the dice on Prince Fielder without the ability to shunt him to DH?

Competitive balance is completely off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                Agreed, Jason. But the reality is still pretty grim: Top 10 AL payrolls averaged $117m; Top 10 NL payrolls averaged $97m. 20% shortfall. AND the DH/no-DH disparity only exacerbates the situation. Would Detroit have rolled the dice on Prince Fielder without the ability to shunt him to DH?

Competitive balance is completely off.
                They talked about this awhile back in SI and it's completely accurate, no reason not to add a DH in the NL next year.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  They talked about this awhile back in SI and it's completely accurate, no reason not to add a DH in the NL next year.
                  Other than changing the character of the game.... Wish they could dump the DH in both leagues. Teams in the AL would never allow it though.

Comment

With a deal like this, do you think the Reds are banking on the NL getting the DH?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                      Teams in the AL would never allow it though.
                      Nor would the players' union.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmadden View Post
                        With a deal like this, do you think the Reds are banking on the NL getting the DH?
                        I asked that of the Phils when they gave Howard his deal.

Comment

Originally posted by phin View Post
                          the reds will be crippled the last 3-4 years of this contract.
                          We have no way of knowing that. With a few exceptions, payrolls of today look nothing like they did 10 years ago. Payrolls 10 years from now may look nothing like they do today, especially with all these crazy TV deals being signed.

Comment

Originally posted by phin View Post
                            i love this deal, because my favorite team is in the same division as cincy. the reds won't be able to re-sign phillips next year or be able to dole out big contracts to anyone for some time. unless they have a money tree i don't know about. basically they lock themselves out of being able to lock up big young talent long term. the reds will be crippled the last 3-4 years of this contract. here are my thoughts via twitter yesterday: as a #brewers fan i love seeing the reds tie up all that $ in #Votto. wish StL had done the same w Albert. have fun with that payroll cincy.
                            It's always good to get another Brewer fan on here...

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll hurt them much. Shoot, Milwaukee's in a smaller market, and we were at $90 mil last year and will be around $85 mil this year. That tells me that with smart management, the Reds could handle a $100 mil/year payroll in 2012 dollars.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

i would love to see the DH abolished from the game, but the player's association would never let it happen. it's much more likely that the DH will be applied to both leagues at some point; which is awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X