Moreland rf 2 0 0 0
    Francona 1b 1 0 0 0
    Cey 3b 4 1 2 0
    Durham 1b 3 0 1 1
    Martinez cf 1 0 1 0
    Mumphrey cf,rf 4 0 0 0
    Lake c 3 0 2 0

is that Moyer's first game? Amazing.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

He's pretty amazing.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Had Tom Glavine not tried to pitch in 2008, he would have been voted into the HOF in the same year Moyer pitched. Why is that meaningful? They were both drafted in the same year

Comment

I pitch old man slo-pitch softball at the same age - so like we are both pitchers - pretty cool huh

Also Davey Lopes was on that team but not a regular

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            is that Moyer's first game? Amazing.
            Was that game in 1986? Cripes, who's the 2nd longest tenured player? Vizquel?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              Had Tom Glavine not tried to pitch in 2008, he would have been voted into the HOF in the same year Moyer pitched. Why is that meaningful? They were both drafted in the same year
              Who says he won't pitch next year?

Comment

Is that Matthews in the box score Junior or Senior?

Oh wait, it doesn't matter since Moyer's career has outlasted both of them. Hard to believe you can pitch with someone's dad in MLB and then their son and still be playing when both of them are out of the Show. And that includes the younger one being given a $50 million contract so it isn't like he was a complete scrub either.

Comment

The Matthews is Sr. -- but I was having trouble remembering which Francona it was.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

It was Terry Francona. He was more of a bench player for them than a starter.

Comment

Moyer has faced 1425 batters of the 15926 that have had at least one plate appearance in MLB history. That means Moyer has pitched to 8.95% of all batters....ever

Moyer against batters:

15926 hitters with at least one plate appearance:

Comment

Moyer gave up his first home run to Juan Samuel on June 23rd, 1986.

Possibly watching that Cubs-Phillies game on TV was Mr Martinez who might have thought "I could hit that salad being tossed to the plate". A few months later he and his wife had the joy of discovering that she was pregnant with a baby boy who would be born in Miami on August 21, 1987. Their son was a great kid and grew up loving to play catch and watch the Florida Marlins play when their city was one of the expansion teams in the National League in 1993 (he was six years old and just getting interested in t-ball).

Being a Marlins fan the little Martinez was disappointed when his favorite team lost three times to the soft throwing Moyer during his senior year of high school. He just knew he could hit that soft tossing pitcher -- why couldn't the favorite players on his team do it?

He graduated from high school in 2006. Not supremely gifted he was drafted by a major league team as the 1086th overall pick. Figuring an education was better than a slim shot at the majors he decided to go to college on a scholarship instead. While in college he watched Jamie Moyer beat his team again as a freshman, but they finally got revenge on August 5th 2008.

After a few years of hard work he was picked 611th overall in the 2009 draft before he finished college. This time he decided to take the offer.

He started with the Rookie level Greeneville team, where he batted .403 before earning a promotion to Short-Season Tri-City. He started the 2010 season with Single-A Lexington, where he earned a mid-season promotion to Double-A Corpus Christi. He started the 2011 season with Corpus Christi before earning a promotion to the big leagues.

On July 30, 2011, he was called up to replace Hunter Pence, who was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies.

On April 7th 2012 JD Martinez hit the 513th home run off Jamie Moyer.

Perhaps he or his Dad might have said "I told ya so"
                        Last edited by Lurker765; 04-19-2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          That is just amazing.
                          #2 has got be less than half of Moyer's number I bet...
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I went on my first pilgrimage to Wrigley weeks after Moyer made his debut in 1986. I'd have to look it up, but I may have seen him pitch on my weekend there. We came across Darling, Orosco, HoJo and other Mets at a huge bar that weekend in Chicago. Place had a dunking booth, lifeguard chair, and bullseye, and we busted on the Mets for missing the target on their baseball tosses too often (thus keeping the bikini-clad girl on the ledge dry for too long).

My future wife lived in the Chicago suburbs then, and was contemplating starting high school that fall.

SO glad we didn't meet until my 11th annual pilgrimage!
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

so how long until Moyer is DFA'd? 53 hits allowed in 38 IP.

Comment

Working...
                              X