Thoughts on my draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on my draft

I wasn't happy with what happened in my draft, but here's what I wound up with:
    NL only 4x4 ... 10 teams

Keepers
    Lance Berkman $11
    Brandon Phillips $30
    Troy Tulowitzki $22
    John Jay $1
    Drew Stubbs $18

Matt Cain $26
    Ian Kennedy $7
    Jason Motte $6
    Corey Luebke $10
    Bud Norris $1
    J.J. Putz $15

Draftees
    C-Ryan Hanigan $3
    C-Devin Mesoraco $6
    3B-Pedro Alvarez $3
    CI-Carlos Lee $17
    MI-Stephen Drew $8
    OF-Garrett Jones $3
    OF-Carlos Quentin $8
    OF-Michael Cuddyer $24
    UT-Brandon Belt $17

P-Kyle Lohse $7
    P-Wandy Rodriguez $6
    P-David Hernandez $1

I wound up with Hanigan first and then Mesoraco was available and the price was cheap. I don't think this will hurt me, but I'm not thrilled with only getting 162 games out of two catchers.

3B is a black hole. It was between Casey McGehee and Alvarez. I figure at least Alvarez has upside.

I got Garrett Jones pretty early. Wanted to get a cheap guy who wouldn't kill me and would give me some homers and a decent average.

If Carlos Lee matches last year's numbers, I'll be OK with the price.

When Cuddyer came up, I knew I had to get him, so I overpaid a little. He was the last guy who could potentially hit more than 20 home runs.

Quentin was a late pickup. I wish I'd have passed on him as I could have had Yonder Alonso a little later and slightly cheaper.

As for the pitchers, I was happy to get Lohse. After the draft, I was disappointed to have Wandy. First, he won't be around all year and, second, I now have two Astros pitchers and the team will be lucky to win 50 games.

I really wanted Hernandez ... He saved 11 games last year when Putz wasn't able to pitch and he's a great handcuff if Putz gets seriously hurt. Plus, he was a buck and will post good ERA and WHIP numbers.

OK, now that I've made excuses for all my picks, tell me what I should do next and how badly this was screwed up.

I think your pitching is very good, but that is not a good lineup in a 10-team league. Who knows what Belt will give you? Alvarez looks hopeless, GI Jones is a platoon player, Quentin is hurt and plays in Petco, and I am really scared of Drew. Your AVG is going to be bad. Very bad, and you really don't have a ton of speed for a 10-team league.

Comment

Ditto what JonCarlos said. You are going to need monster years from Phillips and Tulo.
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

overall i like your pitching. one more big bat wouldve help but still the offense isnt bad. this is a solid team.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

as the others said, speed is a problem.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I am projected to get 115 SBs ... which would have been good for 4 points (7th) out of the 10 teams last year.

Here are a couple of names available in free agency who I can pick up to replace Quentin until he comes back:

Eric Young Jr.
            Tony Gwynn Jr.
            Emmanuel Burris
            Orlando Cabrera
            Jesus Guzman
            Chris Denorfia
            Chris Coghlan
            Adam Kennedy
            Brian Bogusevic
            Everth Cabrera (really reaching here)

Comment

it would be nice to have gary brown and/or starling marte get called up early in the season.

Comment

Working...
              X