Lucky's 2012 AL-only team...HDID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky's 2012 AL-only team...HDID?

We had our auction for the MARBLE league yesterday. This is the 17th year of the league, which is a 12-team AL-only redraft. Here's my squad:

C J.P. Arencibia $12
    C Chris Ianetta $9
    1B Mark Teixeira $30
    CI Eric Hosmer $27
    3B Michael Young $23
    2B Alexi Casilla $9
    MI Eduardo Nunez $6
    SS Mike Aviles $8
    OF B.J. Upton $22
    OF Alex Rios $17
    OF Eric Thames $6
    OF Endy Chavez $3
    OF Jason Bourgeois $3
    DH Travis Hafner $8

P C.J. Wilson $26
    P John Danks $12
    P Rick Porcello $4
    P Hector Noesi $3
    P Jarrod Parker $2
    P Felipe Paulino $2
    P Kelvin Herrera $1
    P Greg Holland $9
    P Brandon League $18

I had decided to try the strategy of punting batting average, and loading up with power and speed guys without regard to their projected low batting averages. It was a very difficult strategy to pursue, especially after I lost out on Mark Reynolds. I still wound up with some low average guys, whose numbers outside of BAVG are very good, like Ianetta, Arencibia, Upton, Rios and Thames.

I think the hitting should be okay, but the pitching looks like a weak spot. I think there are some guys with big upsides (Noesi, Parker, Paulino, Herrera and maybe Porcello), but they could go either way. Starting pitching went a lot higher than it should have. By the end, there was auction inflation of negative 20%. So there were a few bargains at the end.

The AL hitter pool seems extra shallow this year. By the end of the auction, there was virtually nobody left to buy. Some guys were rostering minor leaguers (permitted under our rules).

In the short reserve draft, I picked up a little help, including Wil Myers and Travis D Arnaud to back up Arencibia.

So, how did I do? What do I need to work on now?

Thanks.

I think you have an accurate assessment. Hitting will not be an issue, even BA should be decent enought to get you mid-pack. Good positional flexibility with the MI guys, that should help to plug holes as they happen.

I just had my 11 Team AL auction yesterday and like yours pitching went for silly amounts. I don't think you are in as bad as shape as you think, you are correct with the upside arms. K's might be an issue, really depends on the some of those upside guys and how far up they go.

Comment

I like it, Lucky. Though if you were trying to punt BA, you don't kick it very far. Your catchers will help that approach but I think Rios is going to bounce back and who knows with Upton.

I like your anchor. It's kind of Santana-plan-ish if you read BHQ. Though after Porcello it's a lot of wildcards. Is this a daily league? Can you stream?
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

It's a weekly transaction league, so I can't run pitchers in and out. But I'm thinking that may be good since I don't have starters to run in and out. I don't think there will be much left on the free agent list. There was a seven player reserve draft after the auction. I didn't grab any starters there (I should have), but tried to handcuff some of the weaker/riskier positions.

Thanks, guys, for the input.

Comment

Nice job.

My first thought was you didn't need to spend $9 on Ianetta. Grabbing a $1 catcher and using the $8 to upgrade a starting pitcher might have helped more. Still a pretty good team. Should have some fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Nice job.

My first thought was you didn't need to spend $9 on Ianetta. Grabbing a $1 catcher and using the $8 to upgrade a starting pitcher might have helped more. Still a pretty good team. Should have some fun with it.
            You're right. When I took Ianetta I was still in the mode of dumping batting average. If you leave out batting average, Arencibia and Ianetta pick up a lot of value. But, when I failed to snag Reynolds and Dunn went for a bewildering $17, I was pushed out of the strategy.

Starting pitching is on top of my list for FAAB and/or trades.

Comment

I agree with the assessments but I always like focusing on hitting in drafts. There is generally pitching available but its nearly impossible to find free agent hitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkley View Post
                I agree with the assessments but I always like focusing on hitting in drafts. There is generally pitching available but its nearly impossible to find free agent hitting.
                Agree completely. In a deep league like Lucky's, hitting never seems to crawl out of the woodwork, unless by trade from the other league. Usually a passable SP or two does, and there's always at least a few acceptable MRs on the waiver wire.

Lucky - you'll have extra speed that could showcase well early (Endy C., Bourgeois, Casilla). I'd be looking to deal one of them for either power or a solid SP.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                X