Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which NL closer contract to extend?

13 team 4x4 NL only keeper league.
    Have Axford and Hanrahan on my roster and am trying to conclude how long to extend both of their contracts. Thinking of extending Axford 1 extra year (through 2013 cost of 10) and Hanrahan 2 years (through 2014 cost of 15). Each additional year adds $5 to the player's salary cost and I currently have both at $5 each (total team budget of $26). Any thoughts on who will be the better closer thru 2014 and which one to extend?

Thanks,

I would only extend them 1 year each. If you have to pick 1 to extend 2 years I would pick Axford. I don't expect the Pirates to deal Hammer any time soon, but 2014 is a long way off. I think Axford is pretty entrenched in Milwaukee.

Comment

I would stick with one year too. Mostly because the closer position is so volatile. You could end up a worthless contract and no saves very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        I would only extend them 1 year each. If you have to pick 1 to extend 2 years I would pick Axford. I don't expect the Pirates to deal Hammer any time soon, but 2014 is a long way off. I think Axford is pretty entrenched in Milwaukee.
        What he said....
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

My thinking exactly. No one is really ever safe in their current role in a Pittsburgh uniform. I'd extend them both by a year, or extend neither and use the extra $10 to win this year. If I had to choose one, I'd choose Axford.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Total team budget of $260, right? No way those guys are 20% of your budget each.....right?
            $260 total budget. My bad on the $26 figure. So, only 2% currently, 4% if i extend to $10 each.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
              My thinking exactly. No one is really ever safe in their current role in a Pittsburgh uniform. I'd extend them both by a year, or extend neither and use the extra $10 to win this year. If I had to choose one, I'd choose Axford.
              Ok, not overly confident on either. Probably go 1 extra year on both. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Closer is by far the most volatile position in baseball. I'd reluctantly extend them one year each but wouldn't blame you if you only wanted to extend one for one year to mitigate your risk. No way would I extend either of them for two.
                This is good general advice. Pitchers, as a rule, suck, and closers take it to new levels. For me, the extension has a lot to do with price. For example, this year I extended Axford two years to $11. In a normal league, $11 is roughly an average player, and a bust at that price can be overcome. To me, that's a risk worth taking. But, I rarely extend anyone, especially pitchers. And extending two of them two years? No way.

Comment

+1. As the others have said, closer is too volatile to go with a 2-year extension. Think of all the closers from 2009-10 who don't have the job now.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

Working...
                  X