These Pineda rumors are crap right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These Pineda rumors are crap right?

Had a deal worked out on IM yesterday when out of the blue my trade partner says oh oh this isn't good and posts.
    "Manager Joe Girardi hasn't made an official announcement, but it appears that Freddy Garcia may make the Yankees' rotation to start the season, which could leave Pineda looking at a trip to the minors, the New York Post reports"
    I tell him this has to be some hack overreacting to a tweet or something when he follows with
    "When you look at a guy who doesn't have a lot of time [in the majors], you are trying to consider the upside of what you can possibly give because they don't have the same track record as Freddy," Girardi said. The last slot in the rotation appears to come down to Pineda or Ivan Nova, and even that slot is at risk if Andy Pettitte returns in May. If this news decreases what it costs to get Pineda for a keeper league, he becomes a great investment, as he still has #1 starter upside, though his short-term value may not be as high as anticipated.
    (Rotowire.com)"
    Is there validity to this? I'd think redsox and rays fans would be overjoyed to to see this happen. If they demoted Pineda, struggled to start the season, and Montero went off in Seattle the repercussions would be brutal. Is this a case where the yanks leaked it as they are jealous of all the NY sports media attention Tebow is getting?
    I don't see mention of this on sites like rotoworld and don't subscribe to rotowire. How valid are these rumors?

The Yankees are not real happy with his weight. He has been throwing low 90s. Some have been speculating this, but I agree as far a PR it seems unlikely.

Comment

I'm speculating, but I think the most likely scenario is that this is posturing as the Yankees try to trade Garcia, who has pitched well this spring. Garcia doesn't have bullpen experience, so moving him the the bullpen, to have a $4 million swingman who is unproven in that role, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Other teams know this and it takes away what little leverage the Yankees already might have in trying to get something even remotely useful in return for Garcia, as any interested teams know that the Yankees will want to deal him before their opener. On the other hand, if a team in need of a solid 5th starter legitimately believes that the Yankees would be happy to hang onto Garcia this year, and option one of the younger arms to the minors, then it would shift a little bit of leverage back to the Yankees.

Comment

Pineda is a product of the Seattle home field illusion. Of course they are not happy with him. That being said, Ivan Nova is the one that should be P'ed. He earned his rotation spot, and he likely will not get it.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

sounds like your trading partner dodged a bullet.

At best, Pineda starts in the 5 spot and is the leading candidate to get bounced by Pettitte in mid-May. Not real attractive on the trade market...
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I think the likely result is Nova bounced to AAA or the bullpen, but I'd say there IS a decent chance that Pineda starts at AAA. Yes, it's bad PR for him to be sent down, but it's not as bad as the PR disaster that would happen if he started in the rotation and got shelled.

Comment

Pineda has never pitched at Yankee Stadium, and last year, his road ERA was a run and a half higher ... without Yankee Stadium. Pre-All Star break his ERA was 3.03. Post-All Star it was 5.12 ... Plus he is a fly-ball pitcher entering the AL East. I wouldn't get too giddy about him.

Comment

The thing is, if he were on the Yankees all along, he probably wouldn't have been called up last year and he'd still be getting seasoned in the minors. It's not necessarily a bad move to show him that even though we traded a great young hitter for you, and we expect a great future for you here, there are no guarantees, particularly when you come to camp out of shape. And don't talk to me about CC's shape or Garcia's shape. When you're a tested veteran who has proven you can pitch fat, you can pitch fat.

Comment

Pinstripes are supposed to be slimming, eh?

Comment

I sure hope this isn't going to be another example of the Yankees jerking around another young pitcher until he's worthless. I have an idea, put Pineda in the bullpen to start the season, that always works out well for them.
                    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Looks like Pineda has lost most of the extra weight at this point, so I don't think that is a major factor in this. The Yankees are concerned about his velocity. All they have to go on are past scouting reports and what they've seen this spring. His velocity is down though it doesn't seem to be at a disastrous level. But the Yanks saw Hughes get killed when his velocity was down last year and I am positive they don't want to see that happen to Pineda. I've read a few reports saying the Yanks think his secondary pitches are better than previously reported so the news is not all bad.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                        Looks like Pineda has lost most of the extra weight at this point, so I don't think that is a major factor in this. The Yankees are concerned about his velocity. All they have to go on are past scouting reports and what they've seen this spring. His velocity is down though it doesn't seem to be at a disastrous level. But the Yanks saw Hughes get killed when his velocity was down last year and I am positive they don't want to see that happen to Pineda. I've read a few reports saying the Yanks think his secondary pitches are better than previously reported so the news is not all bad.
                        Yeah, I hope that people don't interpret this as "the Yankees traded a superstar hitter for a bum" - I do think Pineda is going to be a really good pitcher and he's cost controlled for a long time. But I am not convinced he'll ever put up the kind of numbers he put up in Safeco in the first half of 2011. And he doesn't have to be. 18-8, 1.25 WHIP, 4.19 ERA, 1.3 HR/9 in 176 innings. That's Phil Hughes 2010. If Pineda can do that for 2012-2016 I think the Yankees will be very happy. And he has upside from there.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          Yeah, I hope that people don't interpret this as "the Yankees traded a superstar hitter for a bum" - I do think Pineda is going to be a really good pitcher and he's cost controlled for a long time. But I am not convinced he'll ever put up the kind of numbers he put up in Safeco in the first half of 2011. And he doesn't have to be. 18-8, 1.25 WHIP, 4.19 ERA, 1.3 HR/9 in 176 innings. That's Phil Hughes 2010. If Pineda can do that for 2012-2016 I think the Yankees will be very happy. And he has upside from there.
                          Exactly. Also I do not think the Yankees would be considering this if they did not feel so deep in the rotation right now. If they were a little more desperate they would not be considering it in my opinion. The extra starters are providing the Yankees with what I'm sure they consider a great opportunity to get Pineda in top fighting form before throwing to the New York media and fans.

I think the Yankees must have some ideas for trades too. At some point I see a couple of guys being traded for another rotation or lineup upgrade - Nova/Warren/Phelps and so forth for Cole Hamels, Wandy Rodriguez, Shane Victorino, or whatever.

Comment

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=13380
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

He's going down after today ...

Comment

Working...
                              X