John Jay $1
    Drew Stubbs $18

Matt Cain $26
    Ian Kennedy $7
    Jason Motte $6
    Corey Luebke $10
    Bud Norris $1
    J.J. Putz $15

I have $109 to spend on 12 players which isn't good. I don't think my team is great, but I like my pitching. I've always built my teams around offense and, at least a couple of times, spent as little as possible on pitching. I am actually thinking with this team I might be better off spending another $40-$50 on 2 good pitchers and a $1 filler arm and just taking whatever I can offensively - two $1 catchers, a $1 MI, etc.

The other option is to fill in my pitching staff with setup guys for a $1 apiece. They won't hurt me in ERA and WHIP and might even combine to be a third closer.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post
    I'm in an NL-only 4x4 keeper league and here are my keepers:

Lance Berkman $11
    Brandon Phillips $30
    Troy Tulowitzki $22
    John Jay $1
    Drew Stubbs $18

Matt Cain $26
    Ian Kennedy $7
    Jason Motte $6
    Corey Luebke $10
    Bud Norris $1
    J.J. Putz $15

I have $109 to spend on 12 players which isn't good. I don't think my team is great, but I like my pitching. I've always built my teams around offense and, at least a couple of times, spent as little as possible on pitching. I am actually thinking with this team I might be better off spending another $40-$50 on 2 good pitchers and a $1 filler arm and just taking whatever I can offensively - two $1 catchers, a $1 MI, etc.

The other option is to fill in my pitching staff with setup guys for a $1 apiece. They won't hurt me in ERA and WHIP and might even combine to be a third closer.

Thoughts?
    It looks like a really fine keeper list to me. I love your pitching. But, I don't think I would stray too much from your regular auction strategy.

You've already got about $65 spent on your pitching. I don't think I'd spend much more, but I'd try to pick up two more starters, inexpensive guys with some upside. I'm not familiar enough with the NL to give you specific suggestions, but in the AL it would be guys like Felipe Paulino. I would try to keep your auction budget for pitchers at $10 or so.

That would give you $99 to spend on nine players, which isn't that bad. Pick up two $1 catchers if you can, and you've got $97 to spend on seven players, which is almost $14 per player. Now you're cooking.

You need outfield help in a big way. I'd concentrate there first. With $97 for seven, I would use a Spread The Risk strategy. Your keeper list is your strength. Some of the guys don't have much profit built in, unless your keeper-based inflation rate is really high, but they represent solid value. Personally I don't like Jon Jay, but his projections indicate a good keeper at a buck.

I would say you are obviously sharp, based upon the nice keeper list you put together, so I think you should trust your abilities in the auction. You may not have the big stack, but you should have enough money when push comes to shove.

Just my two cents, but I think you are in good shape.

Comment

Lucky gives good advice but in 4x4 I'd rather fill a couple of your remaining pitcher slots with good MRs, even if it costs a couple dollars extra. Maybe not all the way to a Sergio Romo/Jonny Venters type, but someone like O'Flaherty, Wilton Lopez, etc. (If you could get David Hernandez or Fernando Salas, obviously that would be best since they could handcuff your current closers, but they might be pricey)

Other than that, you already have a good power base so I think spreading the risk makes sense, get some decent AVG guys and add more speed. If you can land some high-AVG guys then don't be afraid to spend a few bucks on high-power, low-AVG catchers like Buck, Barajas, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Lucky gives good advice but in 4x4 I'd rather fill a couple of your remaining pitcher slots with good MRs, even if it costs a couple dollars extra. Maybe not all the way to a Sergio Romo/Jonny Venters type, but someone like O'Flaherty, Wilton Lopez, etc. (If you could get David Hernandez or Fernando Salas, obviously that would be best since they could handcuff your current closers, but they might be pricey)

Other than that, you already have a good power base so I think spreading the risk makes sense, get some decent AVG guys and add more speed. If you can land some high-AVG guys then don't be afraid to spend a few bucks on high-power, low-AVG catchers like Buck, Barajas, etc.
        I missed that it was 4x4 instead of 5x5, and I agree 100% with joncarlos. I'd buy only one more starter, and pick up two MRs who will help you more than a lot of starters would.

Comment

There is always a good mr left at the end of an auction. Save a buck for that. Buy one catcher for one dollar and one for about $7. That gives you $100 for 9 spots. Spend the $44 on Matt Kemp. That leaves $56 for 8 slots. Still pretty good. Have fun.

Nice keeper list.

Comment

great plan if matt kemp was available.

ryan howard
            carlos lee
            melky cabrera
            aramis ramirez
            carlos quentin
            ryan ludwick
            logan morrison
            jimmy rollins
            michael cuddyer
            david wright
            ryan zimmerman
            shane victorino

those are probably the best offensive players in the draft

Comment

Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post
              great plan if matt kemp was available.

ryan howard
              carlos lee
              melky cabrera
              aramis ramirez
              carlos quentin
              ryan ludwick
              logan morrison
              jimmy rollins
              michael cuddyer
              david wright
              ryan zimmerman
              shane victorino

those are probably the best offensive players in the draft
              Then get two of:

Rollins, Zimmerman, Victorino, Cuddyer.

Comment

guess i should have just kept zimmerman ($36) and victorino ($28)

Comment

Working...
                X