2k12: Jose Altuve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k12: Jose Altuve

There aren't many players in the majors that are shorter than me, but the 5'5 Altuve is one of them. He terrorized the minor leagues in 2011, putting up some numbers that would be unbelievable in a video game:

High-A: 404/447/601
    Double-A: 361/388/569

After that he was promoted to the majors as a 21-year old and held his own, hitting .276 in 234 PAs. Unfortunately, his walk rate was even worse than it was in the minors, resulting in a .297 OBP. He only struck out in 12.4% of his ABs and did manage a pair of HRs, so his BABIP was "just" .309, leaving room for his AVG to improve.

Altuve also stole 7 bases in his 57 games, leading to visions of a 20-steal, .290 average, 6-8 HR season for the Astros. (Actually, both ZIPS and Bill James have him projected for 10 HRs, and ZIPS has him down for 33 steals).

Here is some context for Altuve's value - NL 2Bs in his range from the LABR auction:

Neil Walker $20
    Ryan Roberts $19
    Rickie Weeks $19
    Daniel Murphy $17
    Altuve $17
    Danny Espinosa $16
    Aaron Hill $15

Those must have been some crazy auction dynamics... I'd pay $5 more for Weeks than any of those guys. But that's 7 of the 16ish 2Bs in the NL right there, all in the same range, and if the auction was done again the $22 Utley would also be in the middle of this group.

Altuve is young, he doesn't walk, he probably won't hit for a ton of power and he isn't going to be in a good lineup. But he will definitely be a plus player in AVG and give you good speed. Ultimately his value comes down to that speed. He stole 24 bases in 87 minor league games, but I'm just not convinced he's a 30-steal guy in the majors this year.

If you can get him cheap because he's not well known in your league then he's probably a bargain. But in a knowledgeable league, he'll probably be overpriced because someone is in love with him. (Possibly someone who listens to the Up and In Podcast)

Where will he hit in the lineup? MLBDC has him hitting 8th, but with Schafer and Lowrie hitting 1-2. If that's right I would think Altuve can force his way to the top of the lineup.

I'll go with 145 games, .288-7-55-60r-23sb
    Last edited by joncarlos; 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM.

Isn't he a possible fit for the 2 hole in the lineup? I'd rather have that for less $ than Espinosa who could be much further down in the order.

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
      Isn't he a possible fit for the 2 hole in the lineup? I'd rather have that for less $ than Espinosa who could be much further down in the order.
      I have been under the assumption he was the 2 hole hitter. I kept him at $11 in my 4x4, so I am am of the belief that he can be a $15+ player. I am also the same guy that kept Chris Nelson, so don't look at me for advice.

Comment

I have no idea if MLB Depth Charts actually has accurate lineup projections or not. He does seem to be a perfect #2 hitter to me, if you ignore that pesky OBP thing.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
          I have been under the assumption he was the 2 hole hitter. I kept him at $11 in my 4x4, so I am am of the belief that he can be a $15+ player. I am also the same guy that kept Chris Nelson, so don't look at me for advice.
          Given how many different outfielders the Astros will probably go through this year looking for a couple who don't suck, I don't think the lineup is going to be fixed at all. If he hits, he'll move up; if he doesn't, he'll be at the bottom of the order.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            He does seem to be a perfect #2 hitter to me, if you ignore that pesky OBP thing.
            That's what I see too. On another team his putrid OBP would push him down the order, but not on the Stros! Hitting in front of El Caballo and JD Martinez should net him plenty of runs. I just can't see Schafer being at the top of the order...

Comment

That's what I see too. On another team his putrid OBP would push him down the order, but not on the Stros! Hitting in front of El Caballo and JD Martinez should net him plenty of runs. I just can't see Schafer being at the top of the order...
              On the positive side for Altuve, if the Astros bat Schafer at the top of the order, it means they certainly aren't going to be concerned about Altuve's OBP!

Comment

I was offered Altuve for Matt Moore in my keeper league. Got a good laugh out of that one!
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Batting order is my biggest question mark for him right now, as there's a risk they go with Lawrie at #2 and Altuve at #8. I think that would have a huge impact on his overall value.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    I have no idea if MLB Depth Charts actually has accurate lineup projections or not. He does seem to be a perfect #2 hitter to me, if you ignore that pesky OBP thing.
                    Speaking of MLBdepthcharts via a Tweet: SS Jed Lowrie has a sprained thumb. No word on how much time he'll miss. Rule V pick Marwin Gonzalez is only other SS left in camp.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      Batting order is my biggest question mark for him right now, as there's a risk they go with Lawrie at #2 and Altuve at #8. I think that would have a huge impact on his overall value.
                      You really think that start of the season batting order on a team where it will inevitably change quickly is that important?

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        You really think that start of the season batting order on a team where it will inevitably change quickly is that important?
                        Batting order is always important. Yea, I think it changes too, but opening day is plan A. If it's Schafer-Lowrie then an unexpectedly hot start from Schafer and a week long slump from Altuve and he could be in 8 hole hell until late May even if they both correct quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                          Speaking of MLBdepthcharts via a Tweet: SS Jed Lowrie has a sprained thumb. No word on how much time he'll miss. Rule V pick Marwin Gonzalez is only other SS left in camp.
                          Marwin got his second start yesterday (and hit a double off of Moyer, who was starting his fourth season the year Gonzalez was born).

He was praised for his glove in camp, but he actually had a pretty nice half-season in AA last year:
                          -- .301/.359/.421 in 239 PA, with a K rate of 11%.
                          -- Not bad at all for a guy who had just turned 22.
                          However, he'd never shown a good bat before, other than good contact.
                          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                            Marwin got his second start yesterday (and hit a double off of Moyer, who was starting his fourth season the year Gonzalez was born).

He was praised for his glove in camp, but he actually had a pretty nice half-season in AA last year:
                            -- .301/.359/.421 in 239 PA, with a K rate of 11%.
                            -- Not bad at all for a guy who had just turned 22.
                            However, he'd never shown a good bat before, other than good contact.
                            Marwin had three really nice throws yesterday. Two from deep in the hole at short to nail a runner at first, and one to nail CarGo at home.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                            X