Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bard back to the pen, according to report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bard back to the pen, according to report.

Rotoworld cites a BoSox staff member who says the Bard as starter experiment is over, and that he will go back to the pen. Color me not surprised.

Funny, I was just thinking about this and looked at mlbdepthcharts to see if they still had him as a starter.

How long before he is the closer?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Stupid move on Boston's part. 12 IP or whatever is not sufficient to reach a conclusion about the Bard-as-starter experiment. Their 4 and 5 starters are going to be garbage. Who are they going to throw out there now? A struggling Vicente Padilla? A crappy Aaron Cook?
      I think I read Aceves and Felix Doubront.

Comment

Their 4 and 5 starters are going to be garbage. Who are they going to throw out there now? A struggling Vicente Padilla? A crappy Aaron Cook?
        Originally posted by Skrappy1 View Post
        I think I read Aceves and Felix Doubront.
        same thing.......

One significant injury to Beckett, Lester or Buchholz and they will fall to 4th.
        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

I have Bard, and I just bumped Doubront up on my reserve draft list. I got Slowey today.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I think this is the right move. I didn't see success for Bard as a starter. I really like Doubront as a cheap, AL-only play, too.

Comment

Should have let Bard be the closer all along and kept Reddick in the OF. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make.
              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Man, that's awful for fantasy purposes

Comment

Aceves has been very good this spring, which may or may not amount to a hill of beans.

Comment

Bard was an awful starter in the minors, and presumably Cherington and Valentine were informed about that, so it could be the Sawx weren't as committed to this as we thought. You can probably get a fairly accurate SCOUTING read on a player in 12 innings, and if your scouts tell you it's hopeless then you have to listen, even if it's not a valid sample for statistical purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      If you're going to give a guy an audition, especially one with Bard's rare skills, it should be more than 12 IP. Stupid.
                      Ya, I'm not basing it solely on ST innings, in fact, not at all on ST innings. I just didn't think he had the skills to make it as an SP.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        Aceves has been very good this spring, which may or may not amount to a hill of beans.
                        Aceves is actually a very solid pitcher. He's been decent in some spot starts over the years, it remains to be seen if he can hold up as a starter over the long-haul (he's had some back issues which is why the Yankees non-tendered him a couple of years ago), but he's at least as likely to have success as a starter as Bard IMO.

Comment

Bobby V presiding over a fiasco? No, I don't believe it.
                          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Actually, I think that this is a good decision...with Meloncon in the 7th, Bard back in the set-up role, and Bailey as closer, that's a hell of a nice 'pen. $th and 5th starters are not hard to come by come July, and the Sox will make a move, if need be. The starters can let it all hang out for six innings and go take a shower with a pretty good degree of certainty that they'll get the win if they leave with the lead.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

He can't start with only throwing a fastball and a slider. Valentine wants him to throw his change more as a starter. Someone told me in his outing yesterday, he threw one changeup. Cant see the pitch/fx data so I'm not sure on that but I guess I'm not surprised.
                              Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Working...
                              X