2k12: Jeff Samardzija

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k12: Jeff Samardzija

here's another "reliever-to-starter" conversion, and I was taken by surprise on this one. Sveum said today that he's a "near lock" for the rotation. He pitched 88 innings last season, so is another 80 a big concern? And who does he bump out?

He started in the minors almost exclusively, even if he was rather ineffective. And until last season, you could've used that same word to describe his major league career to date. But last year, he had a 2.97 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP, with a solid 8.9 K/9. The major concern are his walks, which were very high: 5.0/9 innings.

If he pitches 165-175 innings, I'll go with:

11 wins
    3.90 ERA
    1.37 WHIP
    155 K's

I'd be more surprised if his WHIP is below 1.4 than above 1.5

Comment

Wow...this has all the markings of a train wreck.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yeah, a whip of 1.37 seems like a best-case scenario.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I really have to wonder if Theo is on board with this plan. I don't see it ending well, and if Samardzija just stayed in the 'pen he would be a valuable asset. I guess if this is a lost season anyway, they can see if he has a chance to be a decent SP by 2013? And I know the modern sabermetrician doesn't believe in the value of saves, but what is their backup plan if Marmol is a mess again? Kerry Wood? Marcos Mateo? Samardzija is one of the few steady hands they have back there.

I'd say a 1.50 WHIP, 7.5 K/9, 4.40 ERA and a handful of wins?

Comment

pitched a gem today in his 1st start: 8 2/3 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 8 K. If he continues his control of the strike zone, he could be very dangerous.

Comment

From Buster Olney:

Jeff Samardzija's average fastball velocity in the ninth inning Sunday was 96.3 mph, his best velo for any inning in the game.

What a showing in his first start. Samardzjia is creeping up the oddsmakers board in the annual "Who makes JC look dumbest" poll.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                What a showing in his first start. Samardzjia is creeping up the oddsmakers board in the annual "Who makes JC look dumbest" poll.
                It's early. I wouldn't panic yet. He's on the Cubs. They'll screw it up.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
                  I'd be more surprised if his WHIP is below 1.4 than above 1.5
                  Retract.

His improved control from spring training has carried over. If he's still out there add now, ask later.

Comment

I lost out to him in my end game. I just couldn't go $6. I didn't bring him out early because we have too many Cubs fans in our NL only. I do not like to roster Cubs pitchers. I was going to make an exception with this one. Still it is very early.

As a Cubs fan I hope he is a piece we can build on. As a fantasy player who missed out, not so much.

Comment

Well that didn't take long.

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
                        His improved control from spring training has carried over. If he's still out there add now, ask later.
                        It carried over for all of one start. He'll have an occasional flash of brilliance, but his command and control issues remain. If you are desperate for strikeouts, you might take a chance, but your WHIP will suffer greatly.

Comment

And that Cubbies bullpen is a disaster...

Comment

He's working on another good start tonight, allowing only 1 ER through 7, with only 1 walk and 7 Ks. He's only thrown 84 pitches through 7, so he could certainly implode or the bullpen could blow it, but so far tonight he looks good. This is his 5th start and the three good ones have been really good with the two bad ones being really bad. I've had him in my lineup and have been enjoying the ride so far.

Comment

Working...
                            X