AL LABR prices:

Longoria $33
    Beltre $29
    Lawrie $28
    A-Rod $24
    Youk $20
    E-5 $19
    Reynolds $17

Lawrie's 2011 stats: .293-9-25-26r-7sb in 43 games. Extrapolate that to 150 games and you get .293-31-87-88-24, and I think that's close to the level of production people are expecting when they bid him up so high. (Lawrie did hit .343-18hr-13sb in 69 games at AAA, so maybe it's not without reason)

Bill James has him down for 'only' .284-22hr-30sb, while ZIPS has .275-27hr-24sb. I think most people would be happy with either of those. But Lawrie is only 22, and isn't there a chance he could struggle a lot more than that? Is that kind of sustained SB production realistic for a full season?

If I had to put up a projection I'd go with about .275-27hr-18sb. Still very good but maybe not the wunderkind everyone is expecting.

Of all of the suggested stats you list, I think the line you offered...27/18...is the top end of his 2012 production. Lots of people are going to be disappointed...

Comment

He's the real deal, but expectations are crazy high for him. My biggest worry as a Lawrie owner is his health. If he can stay healthy, I don't think anyone but the "anything but Braun at 3b is a bust" crowd will be disappointed. A healthy Lawrie should have no trouble putting up 25 homers, 20 steals, a .280 avg and good counting stats in the middle of a very good line up.

I see nothing wrong with slotting him in a tier below Longoria right there with Beltre.
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-16-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
        Of all of the suggested stats you list, I think the line you offered...27/18...is the top end of his 2012 production. Lots of people are going to be disappointed...
        You do realize he has 5 SBs this spring correct? I agree that 27 HR is likely towards the top-end but no way is 18 SBs

Comment

I'd ask you to go back to last year and look at the Jays' SB numbers in spring training. They were nuts....not so much in the regular season

Comment

OK..... but he had 7 SBs (out of 8 attempts) last year in 43 games + 13 in AAA before that. Not saying he's going to steal 40 but just that 18 SBs in 2012 is hardly his "ceiling" as was implied.
            Last edited by Big Tymer; 03-16-2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
              You do realize he has 5 SBs this spring correct? I agree that 27 HR is likely towards the top-end but no way is 18 SBs
              Paging Big Tymer to the "Overreact to ST 2012" thread...

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                I'd ask you to go back to last year and look at the Jays' SB numbers in spring training. They were nuts....not so much in the regular season
                Not really. They had 1 guy run his ass off but not make the team. He went on to steal 70 at AA. Other than that, fairly pedestrian.

Comment

Brett Lawrie batting third and Bautista fourth for the opener.

Comment

Man alot of people have pinned there hopes on this kid. Just keep thinking about Pedro Alvarez and all his hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                      Brett Lawrie batting third and Bautista fourth for the opener.

https://twitter.com/#!/RGriffinStar/...16280588804097
                      Updating a previous item, Brett Lawrie is batting sixth in the Blue Jays' Opening Day lineup.
                      It was originally reported that he would bat third, in front of Jose Bautista. But that was false information. Lawrie, 22, batted .293/.373/.580 with nine home runs, 25 RBI and seven stolen bases in 43 games last season. He should be a highly valuable fantasy third baseman in 2012.
                      Source: John Lott on Twitter
                      Apr 5 - 11:32 AM

Comment

Originally posted by The Evil Empire View Post
                        Man alot of people have pinned there hopes on this kid. Just keep thinking about Pedro Alvarez and all his hype.
                        I traded Mario Rivera and Brent Morel to get him. It helped that I was overstaffed for saves, but still.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                          Updating a previous item, Brett Lawrie is batting sixth in the Blue Jays' Opening Day lineup.
                          It was originally reported that he would bat third, in front of Jose Bautista. But that was false information. Lawrie, 22, batted .293/.373/.580 with nine home runs, 25 RBI and seven stolen bases in 43 games last season. He should be a highly valuable fantasy third baseman in 2012.
                          Source: John Lott on Twitter
                          Apr 5 - 11:32 AM
                          I think he's destined to bat third this year. I'm guessing that it happens early in the year.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by The Evil Empire View Post
                            Lawrie didn't show up to camp fat and doesn't look lost on the field. I hated trading him, but I did get Longoria back so I can't be too upset.

Comment

Working...
                            X