2k12: Yu Darvish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k12: Yu Darvish

This is probably as good a time to post a 2k12 for Darvish as any, since he struggled in his last start and may have derailed the hype machine just a little bit.

Kevin Goldstein ran a piece a couple months ago asking MLB insiders to compare Darvish to other righty pitchers (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotst...-right-handers - you have to be an insider to read it) and he ranked somewhere between Garza and Greinke for them.

That's a pretty wide gap, so note that he was actually tied with Greinke. I think that's a pretty fair expectation but given their relative leagues and ballparks I would take Greinke in that comparison.

Darvish went for $18 in LABR (James Shields went $19, Ubaldo $16, Matt Moore $20, Hellickson $14, Romero $19, Beckett $16 to give you some comparable prices) which also seems about right, though I expect the experts were better prepared to keep their enthusiasm in check than most Average Joes would be, and Darvish will probably go into the 20s in redraft leagues (even before inflation).

Still, I'm interested to see the projections for Darvish. My initial projection (which I can't find right now) was something like 190 IP, 210 Ks, 1.25 WHIP and 3.40 ERA. I haven't changed my mind that much; I expect the WHIP will be a little high, but the ERA will not be as bad as you'd think. I expect a ton of Ks.

As long as his next two spring starts go okay, I believe he will still go in that low to mid 20's area. I think it would take a really disastrous outing to bring his price down. I think the LABR guys in the right class as far as auction cost. I expect that to look like a bargain this time next year though.

Comment

two starts in, how many Darvish owners are ready to pull the ripcord?

Comment

I was expecting him to be lights out to start the season and then start to slip as the year went on. I wanted to get him in at least one league, thinking I could sell high on him after a hot start. I didn't end up with him, as he went way higher than I expected. He will have 2 wins after today but it's surprising that he's been so hittable so far, and against the Mariners and Twins, no less!

Comment

Not what I expected. The velo is above average but not by much. So far his command is very poor. Japan has bigger strike zones and smaller balls. Sea and Minn aren't exactly strong lineups either. Would have thought that he'd have a huge advantage the first time through the league.

Comment

Originally posted by wilbur wood View Post
            Not what I expected. The velo is above average but not by much. So far his command is very poor. Japan has bigger strike zones and smaller balls. Sea and Minn aren't exactly strong lineups either. Would have thought that he'd have a huge advantage the first time through the league.
            Smaller balls?! Ha! But seriously is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
              Used to be, but this changed either in 2010 or 2011. Baseballs are now on an international spec, which I'm pretty sure is 23.2 cm +/- 0.3 cm, or between 9 and 9.25 inches.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                It was for a long time. I remember a story that back during the NL All-Star Game dominance back in the 70's and 80's, Pete Rose had a bunch of Japanese balls shipped in for the NL batting practice for intimidation purposes because they were easier to crush.

Comment

If you were hoping to buy low, I think you just missed your chance. If you were hoping to sell high, now is your chance, but there's a chance that he stays this good so I'd be careful. Yu looks filthy tonight.

Comment

Last 6 starts:
                    44 IP, 26 H, 9 BB, 52 K.

The drop in walks is particularly important to Darvish, who has allowed 4+ BB in 11 starts this season.
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
                    X