2k12: Free Agent League Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k12: Free Agent League Thread

I finally got my team kicked off over the weekend, and they're listed in the next post.

Here's a link to last year's thread: http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...e-Agent-League

The general idea is this... draft a team of horrible players in a free Yahoo league (ideally Geoff Blum will be your 1st round pick) and then drop them all. Then build a team that competes solely on players from the free agent list, and any trades you're able to make during the season.

Here are some notes from Swampdragon on strategy:

I worked really hard to get a stupendously bad team and now have waiver moves in

I added first names because I hadn't heard of most of them

I encourage others to try this game

Sign for a standard yahoo league and select to draft players in the bottom 500 at every position. Then you need to dump all of them and see if you can improve on waivers. Then trade away any player on a hot streak.

Some hints
    Grab as many closers and near closers as possible and trade them quickly
    the same thing can work with SBs
    BA players are always findable
    HR players are extremely tough to find - trade for them at any cost
    try to package many players for one stud
    grab only upside guys or veterans no one seems to care about

Here's my starting team after the first round of free agent pickups. I have a bit of a batting average problem.

C Russell Martin
    1B Carlos Pena
    2B Danny Espinosa
    3B Chipper Jones
    SS Marco Scutaro
    OF Jason Bay
    OF Alex Presley
    OF Angel Pagan
    UT Raul Ibanez
    UT Justin Smoak

Bench Mike Aviles, Nolan Reimold, Daniel Murphy

SP Ricky Nolasco
    SP Erik Bedard
    SP Daniel Bard
    SP Luke Hochevar
    SP Alfredo Aceves
    SP Jonathan Niese
    SP Mike Minor
    RP Vinnie Pestano
    RP Jonny Venters
    RP Addison Reed

Comment

JC

I think batting average is fixable. Minor and Bedard could prove helpful for your team pitching

I grabbed all of the closers in waiting with good peripherals and hope that they turn into gold - and then go to another team. Myers can count as a SP but get saves (that could help)
      Trout only has upside and so does Mesaraco - both will be quickly traded if they start off hot

C Olivo
      1B Helton
      2B Hill
      3B Davis, Chris
      SS Escobar
      OF Trout
      OF Soriano
      OF Young, Delmon
      Util Lahair
      Util Davis, Raj
      BN Pagan
      BN Revere
      BN Mesaraco
      BN Jones, Chipper

SP Davis, Wade
      SP Billingsley
      SP Myers
      RP Cordero
      P Fuentes
      P Adams
      P Salas
      P Pestano
      BN Collmenter

Our teams actually look a little different

Comment

Decided to give this thing one more try this year. Here is what I pulled off of the waiver wire this morning. Sadly, Vance Worley was snatched off of waivers before I could get him. Thankfully, players like Jesus Montero, Ian Desmond, Alejandro De Aza, Scott Baker, and a few others of that ilk were dropped today, so I will have a bit more to consider for my roster shortly.

C: Ryan Doumit
        1B: John Mayberry
        2B: Jose Altuve
        3B: Chipper Jones
        SS: Zack Cozart
        OF: Lorenzo Cain
        OF: Alex Presley
        OF: J.D. Martinez
        Util: Yonder Alonso
        Util: Mat Gamel
        BN: Mike Aviles
        BN: Marco Scutaro
        BN: Bryan LaHair

SP: Erik Bedard
        SP: Gavin Floyd
        RP: Jonathan Broxton
        RP: Sean Marshall
        P: Brett Myers
        P: Chad Billingsley
        P: Ryan Vogelsong
        P: Mike Leake
        BN: Greg Holland
        BN: Jeff Niemann

Comment

I got my team a while back but kept forgetting to post it. Here it is.

C - Iannetta
          1B - C Pena
          2B - A Hill
          SS - A Escobar
          3B - C Jones
          OF/UT - Pagan, Trout, Cespedes, Boesch, Revere
          BN - Dunn, Dan Murphy

SP - Beachy, Minor, Liriano, Nova, Peavy, Harrison
          RP - Reed, Balfour, Myers, Guerra, G Holand
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Here's my team, have made a bunch of waiver moves and a trade already (I gave away Francisco Cordero and got Cory Luebke)

C- Ramon Hernandez
            1B - Helton
            2B - Altuve
            SS - Cozart
            3B - Chipper
            OF - Lorenzo Cain, Seth Smith, John Mayberry, Matt Joyce (missed out on Soriano - would've liked his homers)
            Util/Bench - Adam Dunn, Adam Lind

SP - Luebke, Buerhle, Hochevar, Minor, Floyd, Alvarez
            RP - Balfour, Pestano, Marshall, Holland, Brett Myers

Most of these guys were post draft waiver wire pickups but then guys like Joyce, Lind, Minor, etc were dumped by teams in the last few days.

Comment

I'm in first place! Thank you Balfour and Cespedes.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Yeah one of the guys in my league has Balfour and Cespedes too. Unfortunately not many interesting guys have been dropped so far. Hoping things pick up when the season starts.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  Yeah one of the guys in my league has Balfour and Cespedes too. Unfortunately not many interesting guys have been dropped so far. Hoping things pick up when the season starts.
                  The highest ranked player that is available is Goldschmidt and it's tempting to pick him up but I have Carlos Pena and Adam Dunn. For some reason I feel that Pena could be good again, now that he's back in Tampa. Dunn has too much upside as a rebound potential to drop.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I would gladly pick up Goldschmidt and stash him, and I like him more than Pena. TB is a really rough place to hit and he has had a terrible spring. I've got Pena too and I'm thinking of dropping him for Reimold or Thames or JD Martinez. Or even Loney!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      I would gladly pick up Goldschmidt and stash him, and I like him more than Pena. TB is a really rough place to hit and he has had a terrible spring. I've got Pena too and I'm thinking of dropping him for Reimold or Thames or JD Martinez. Or even Loney!
                      That's saying alot! I guess I'l dump Pena for Goldschmidt then. Reimold is available and I'm thinking about dumping Revere for him since he won't be playing everyday.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Here's my team. It was difficult to find guys worth getting excited about in the FA pool this year.

C Doumit
                        1 Smoak
                        2 Aviles
                        3 CDavis
                        S Pennington
                        O De Aza
                        O Bay
                        O Span
                        B Revere Cain Valencia Kotchman (an original pick...going to wait for SPerez to clear waivers then stash him on DL)

S Buehrle
                        S Peavy
                        R Broxton
                        R Reed
                        P Pestano
                        P Chapman
                        P Aceves
                        P Bard
                        B Zambrano Ogando

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Here's my team, have made a bunch of waiver moves and a trade already (I gave away Francisco Cordero and got Cory Luebke)

C- Ramon Hernandez
                          1B - Helton
                          2B - Altuve
                          SS - Cozart
                          3B - Chipper
                          OF - Lorenzo Cain, Seth Smith, John Mayberry, Matt Joyce (missed out on Soriano - would've liked his homers)
                          Util/Bench - Adam Dunn, Adam Lind

SP - Luebke, Buerhle, Hochevar, Minor, Floyd, Alvarez
                          RP - Balfour, Pestano, Marshall, Holland, Brett Myers

Most of these guys were post draft waiver wire pickups but then guys like Joyce, Lind, Minor, etc were dumped by teams in the last few days.
                          Made another trade and with the addition of some FA's have a different looking team. I trade my Mike Minor and Grant Balfour for Felix Hernandez. I still have plenty of RP depth and couldn't pass up a deal for King Felix. I think my next trade will be to try and flip pitching for hitting.

Current roster:
                          C - Ramon Hernandez
                          1B - Helton
                          2B - Altuve
                          SS - Cozart
                          3B - Chipper
                          OF - Matt Joyce, Alejandro De Aza, Nolan Reimold
                          Util/Bench - Adam Dunn, Adam Lind, Luke Scott

SP - King Felix, Luebke, Hellickson, Buerhle, Gavin Floyd, Henderson Alvarez
                          RP - Sean Marshall, Henry Rodriguez, Pestano, Brett Myers, Chapman and Storen on the DL ( was dropped after his injury but figured might as well hold on to him and hope for help in the 2nd half)

Any thoughts or suggestions for my team? Brandon McCarthy and Rickie Weeks were both just dropped today. Will likely find a way to pick up both. I'm about 20 points out of first but have been improving.

Comment

Might be a good time to sell high on Cozart and De Aza, depending on what you could get back. Pitching's looking pretty damn strong.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                              Might be a good time to sell high on Cozart and De Aza, depending on what you could get back. Pitching's looking pretty damn strong.
                              De Aza is hitting .320 in his last 25 at bats, 6 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI and 1 SB. Do you think he'll fade? I ask cause I just picked him up. I wasn't much of a believer but I had other guys not playing well.

My team is pretty different from the last time I posted.

C - Iannetta
                              1B - Dunn
                              2B - A Hill
                              SS - Furcal
                              3B - Dan Murphy
                              OF/UTL - Cespedes, Boesch, Pagan, Kubel, De Aza
                              BN - Goldschmidt, Infante
                              DL - L Cain

SP - Beachy, Minor, Peavy, Harrison, Nova
                              RP - Balfour, Guerra, Broxton, Marmol, Casilla, Myers

There are a fair amount of starters available that I'm tempted to pick up but just not sure. Colon, Humber, Cahil, McCarthy, Arroyo , Floyd, Capuano, Milone. Any of these guys worth picking up in favor of probably Nova and/or Harrison? Maybe it's time to cut bait on Goldschmidt?

On the hitting side Altuve is available, but I have Hill and Infante. Also available are probably the usual suspects in most leagues, the guys who are slumping: Borjous, Tabata, Gaby Sanchez, Alonzo, Belt. Any of these guys worth stashing away?

Finally, for catchers, Lucroy, Doumit, Ruiz, Salty and Hundley are available. You guys like any of them over Ianetta? They all seem to be in the same tier and it's always hard to decide between one or the other.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X