No announcement yet.

Gallardo vs Bumgarner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HQ has always had a gallardo man-crush, but i too think he'll get more wins than bumgarner
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I want two years of established full-time performance before I go all in on a guy - even moreso with SPs. Bumgarner's skill are real, but is the durability?
      That's why I noted earlier that I'd go with Gallardo if my freeze list is good.
      If not, well, Bumgarner COULD get even better and make it 220 IP at that level. So the crappy freeze list guy might want to roll those dice.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        ?

Timmah was better than Bumgarner even in 2011, which was not even his best year. I have to wonder if people are seriously underrating Timmah coming into this year. He's durable (which has surprised me), he strikes out a sh!tload of batters, and puts up fantastic peripheral stats every year to go with his massive counting totals.
        Throw out the horrible April that Bumgarner had and take a look at those last 5 months...it's a young pitcher just getting better and better. Tim, while still great, is slowly sliding in the other direction, IMO.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Lincecum had a 2.41 ERA in the second half of 2011.
          Bumgarner had a 2.70.

but Lincecum had a 3.62 xERA in that span to Bumgarner's 2.86 xERA.

so there was a bit of a skills erosion. I wouldn't write off Lincecum just yet, though.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Throw out the horrible April that Bumgarner had and take a look at those last 5 months...it's a young pitcher just getting better and better. Tim, while still great, is slowly sliding in the other direction, IMO.
            Legitimate point and one that shows improvement on his part. However, we've all been burned by players having parts of a good season the year prior and moved heaven and earth to get him for the following season only to be burned alive like a witch living in Massachusetts in the late 18th century. See also Young, Chris.

I'm not saying Bumgardner can't or won't improve on last season, but I think the risk is slightly higher.
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

FWIW (probably not much)

Tim Linececum has supposedly re-dedicated himself to training and conditioning in-season and off. He is throwing between starts as he used to, which he had cut out the last couple of seasons and apparently hit the gym more than he ever bothered to previously. Who knows how much this is true or not? But these stories are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                Legitimate point and one that shows improvement on his part. However, we've all been burned by players having parts of a good season the year prior and moved heaven and earth to get him for the following season only to be burned alive like a witch living in Massachusetts in the late 18th century. See also Young, Chris.

I'm not saying Bumgardner can't or won't improve on last season, but I think the risk is slightly higher.
                17th century, not 18th.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

What's 100 years or so between burning people?
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Working...
                  X