Defining a Fantasy Expert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by umjewboy View Post
    Yeah, but you're from "Ohio." That automatically disqualifies you...
    What's with the "Ohio"? Are you one of those guys who does air quotes? Or is this some U of M garbage, trying to bluster your way past the recent performance of your alma mater's football team?

I'll grant you that Ohio (no quotation marks) is not New York City (no quotation marks), but that's as much good as bad, if not more.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

I agree with much of what has been said about "experts" in this thread.

I do not think that has much to do with what I like about this site. Over the years I watched as everyday players became experts and I say good for them! What I do like is the opinions and local knowledge that are offered. It makes me look at things a little differently. While I appreciate all imput to the baseball questions, there is a certain amount of credibility that certain posters have earned that weigh a bit heavier in helping me make decisions.

I am just a player who loves the game and do not consider myself an expert at all. I would hope that my comments in the GM section would be helpful in the scope of playing the game. Just another set of eyes or another way of looking at things.

Comment

I don't think winning should be a top criteria, but I understand why many think it should. I don't like the word expert, but to be a good source of info I think you need to have more hits than misses when you veer from the consensus in how you feel about a player and are at least somewhat close to 'why' it happened too. I don't think I'm as strong in this area as many because I think most of this knowledge must be derived from watching games and 90% of the games I watch are the Tigers. I think I'm stronger than most in knowing how to build a winning team.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          I guess I'd distinguish between "fantasy experts" and "sabermetricians", as well.
          Agreed. But I think KS is one of the few I'd consider both a fantasy expert and an excellent sabermetrician.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Agreed. But I think KS is one of the few I'd consider both a fantasy expert and an excellent sabermetrician.
            Yah. Mike rocks.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

To be an expert, you have to be in front of both broad and micro-trends before the vast majority of others. You have to be able to convey this knowledge in a way that is consumable by a knowledgable user, not just provide the raw numbers without analysis or impact
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                What's with the "Ohio"? Are you one of those guys who does air quotes? Or is this some U of M garbage, trying to bluster your way past the recent performance of your alma mater's football team?

I'll grant you that Ohio (no quotation marks) is not New York City (no quotation marks), but that's as much good as bad, if not more.
                It's a joke. Nothing more, nothing less.

Really no way to bluster past the performance of my boys in recent years

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  What i want out of an expert:

-Write/talk about what they do and why they do it
                  -interact with others on social media (forums, twitter, facebook, radio)
                  -get into a competition with good visibility
                  -take criticism well
                  I agree those are characteristics that many look to.

For me, the level of publicity does not impact someone's knowledge level, and the knowledge level is what makes someone an expert.

Everyone has their own take, though, and probably looks for different things.

Comment

Originally posted by RSF View Post
                    I agree those are characteristics that many look to.

For me, the level of publicity does not impact someone's knowledge level, and the knowledge level is what makes someone an expert.

Everyone has their own take, though, and probably looks for different things.
                    Knowledge level is definitely a big factor, but for me, the willingness to get out there in public and defend stances as well as take the critiques of your readership is what I respect most.

Those that choose to stay in their own sandbox and control the message just do not appeal to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X