Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know where to find season stat totals for Yahoo Standard Public formats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know where to find season stat totals for Yahoo Standard Public formats?

This year, I've been a little short on cash, so instead of joining a private money league, I joined a bunch of free Yahoo Standard Public leagues (5 in total) with the goal in mind to finish first in every one (just thought it would be a different/fun challenge).

I've been doing all the pre draft homework, but I can't seem to find current league/statistics/standings totals. E.g. How many HRs, SBs, Ks, etc. do I need to finish in the top 2-4 in each category.

Yahoo's Standard Public leagues are mixed mlb universe with the following positions:

9 Pitchers, 1400 Innings max.
    C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL (10 active hitters)
    5 Bench

I'd like to be able to put an "ideal team" together (pre draft) using this information, but I can't find anything current.

Anybody from standard yahoo formats (that use this same league set up), can you post your league totals from last year here? Or if you've come across a recent article/blog/forum post that touches directly on this, please share.

Razzball.com had a recent article up with some loose projected numbers (category season totals), but the numbers seem off to me.

Tim Dierkes typically does this, or something like it.

Originally posted by idriveabucket View Post
    This year, I've been a little short on cash, so instead of joining a private money league, I joined a bunch of free Yahoo Standard Public leagues (5 in total) with the goal in mind to finish first in every one (just thought it would be a different/fun challenge).

I've been doing all the pre draft homework, but I can't seem to find current league/statistics/standings totals. E.g. How many HRs, SBs, Ks, etc. do I need to finish in the top 2-4 in each category.

Yahoo's Standard Public leagues are mixed mlb universe with the following positions:

9 Pitchers, 1400 Innings max.
    C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL (10 active hitters)
    5 Bench

I'd like to be able to put an "ideal team" together (pre draft) using this information, but I can't find anything current.

Anybody from standard yahoo formats (that use this same league set up), can you post your league totals from last year here? Or if you've come across a recent article/blog/forum post that touches directly on this, please share.

Razzball.com had a recent article up with some loose projected numbers (category season totals), but the numbers seem off to me.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I looked into it, and he uses traditional roto formats: 2 C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, UTIL.

I need a more watered down version for Yahoo's much shallower: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, 9 Pitchers, 5 Bench format.

Comment

If you want a challenge, you need to create an Official Rotojunkie All-Free-Agent team. Essentially, join a Yahoo league, reverse your draft order so that you draft ZERO usable players, and then proceed to build a team through FA pickups and players that get dropped. I do one every year. I think most of us here usually win the league, but it is not easy.

In fact, by all rights, if you draft normally, you should win any Yahoo league quite easily.

Comment

That's an interesting idea...thanks for the heads up!

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
          In fact, by all rights, if you draft normally, you should win any Yahoo league quite easily.
          I used to think this too, but I've been in some pretty competitive yahoo public leagues before. The leagues are pretty shallow, so no matter how well you draft, luck can rear its ugly head quite a bit. Either way, I think it's an interesting challenge to try to place 1st in 5 different leagues.

We'll see what happens.

Comment

Either way, I think it's an interesting challenge to try to place 1st in 5 different leagues.
            I suppose. But, seeing as how they are all the same, it seems that you are accomplishing the same feat five times. In my opinion, that's too easy. Make one an NL-only, another an AL-only, another where you only draft from the AL and NL Central divisions... that sort of thing. Honestly, winning a Yahoo public league is nothing to crow about, and winning five of them is nothing to crow about five times.

I was thinking about running a 47-minute mile, but for a real challenge, I'm going to run a 47-minute mile FIVE TIMES!

Comment

If you want a challenge, you need to create an Official Rotojunkie All-Free-Agent team. Essentially, join a Yahoo league, reverse your draft order so that you draft ZERO usable players, and then proceed to build a team through FA pickups and players that get dropped. I do one every year. I think most of us here usually win the league, but it is not easy.

I drafted my Free Agent League a few weeks back. I need to post it, just been busy.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I suppose. But, seeing as how they are all the same, it seems that you are accomplishing the same feat five times. In my opinion, that's too easy. Make one an NL-only, another an AL-only, another where you only draft from the AL and NL Central divisions... that sort of thing. Honestly, winning a Yahoo public league is nothing to crow about, and winning five of them is nothing to crow about five times.

I was thinking about running a 47-minute mile, but for a real challenge, I'm going to run a 47-minute mile FIVE TIMES!
                It would be like a game of pick up basketball (to 11 pts). Yea, maybe I can beat 1 guy, but can I beat the rest of the guys in the gym too? The game format stays the same, but each individual presents a different challenge.

Comment

It would be like a game of pick up basketball (to 11 pts). Yea, maybe I can beat 1 guy, but can I beat the rest of the guys in the gym too? The game format stays the same, but each individual presents a different challenge.
                  Fair enough. But I think it would be more like a game of pickup basketball against a gym full of blind, midget, double amputees. Sure, you could beat one, but could you beat FIVE, one a time!?

Comment

Fair enough. But I think it would be more like a game of pickup basketball against a gym full of blind, midget, double amputees. Sure, you could beat one, but could you beat FIVE, one a time!?
                    The competition on Yahoo isn't anywhere as good as us but when you are talking about shallow leagues like those it doesn't do you any good to know who the 24th and 25th man on a roster is. You just need to know the starters, and usually only the good ones. Sure those guys would be totally out of their depth in a deep league but that's not the leagues they are playing in. Sure shallow leagues are much easier and because of that they even the playing field between an experienced owner like you would find here and a novice owner. To continue the one on one analogy, my point is that let's say your left hand is tied behind your back while playing the blind, midget, double amputee players. (Your left hand being the knowledge of knowing who the 24th and 25th men on a roster are).
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      The competition on Yahoo isn't anywhere as good as us but when you are talking about shallow leagues like those it doesn't do you any good to know who the 24th and 25th man on a roster is. You just need to know the starters, and usually only the good ones.
                      You know what I've found interesting, doing mocks, draft prep, etc. It's actually important to know a team's full 25 man roster (and even stud minor leaguers). These shallow types of formats put *A TON* of emphasis on upside and devalue safer/everyday/consistent type players.

I've done a ton of research on high upside talent that I can get during the last 5-7 rds in the draft.

Here's what my typical team is looking like after mocks (heavy emphasis on batting and mostly young/healthier guys with a ton of upside):

* Yahoo ADP round is in parenthesis

C. Wieters (9th)
                      1B. Eric Hosmer (7th)
                      2B. Brandon Phillips (5th)
                      3B. Brett Lawrie (4th)
                      SS. Starlin Castro (3rd)
                      OF. Carlos Gonzalez (1st)
                      OF. Justin Upton (2nd)
                      OF. Michael Bourn (5th or 6th)
                      UTIL. Billy Butler (10 or 11th)
                      UTIL. Delmon Young (17th)

SP1. Brandon Beachey (11th or 12th)
                      SP2. James Shields (7th)
                      SP3. Cory Luebke (12th)
                      SP4. Max Scherzer (15th)
                      SP5. Colby Lewis (19th)
                      SP6. Ricky Nolasco (20th)
                      SP7. Daniel Bard (21st)

RP1. Rafael Betancourt (15th)
                      RP2. Matt Thornton (16th)
                      RP3. Brett Myers (23rd)

BENCH:
                      1. Adam Dunn (22nd)
                      2. Mark Reynolds (10th)
                      3. Jesus Montero (14th) Or Mike Moustakas (16th)
                      4. Jose Altuve (really like his upside this year). (23rd)
                      5. SP7 referenced above

This team would give me these projected totals:

W SV ERA WHIP K
                      96 95 3.602 1.272 1,318

R HR RBI SB AVG
                      837 196 793 171 0.280

This is what I have down as my "ideal" team (it's very hard to land all of these guys, but I have lucked into it in some mock drafts). I'm thinking of maybe going with David Price in the 4th/5th round, but it would likely cost me Lawrie who i believe could put up 25/25 at 3B (but who might be over matched against a stacked AL east pitching staff this year).

I also want to add some diversity to my bench. A guy like Dee Gordon or Emilio Bonifacio if I get behind in steals/runs would be good to have in UTIL. Bonifacio is especially nice given his multi position eligibility. I'd basically just play matchups with my offense all year long (subbing these guys in and out based on hot streaks, ballpark, opposing pitcher, etc.)

For pitching, I would just keep an eye out on the waiver wire for the perennial studs.

Thought this post would be helpful to anybody playing yahoo leagues this year, and also looking for any feedback on the general methodology being used here.
                      Last edited by ; 03-09-2012, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X