2k12: Josh Donaldson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k12: Josh Donaldson

The third and final entry of my cheap catcher hunt...I know nothing about this guy other than the fact that: (a) he is C eligible; and (b) he is listed as the starter at third base for Oakland (not sure how reliable that is this early in ST). Im obviously a big fan of guys with C eligibility that get regular at bats from another position.

So Donaldson came over to the A's in the Rich Harden deal in 2008 after being a low first-round pick in 2007. He has shown a bit of pop in the minors, and even a little bit of speed (36 SB in 5 years). In 2 seasons in AAA he has 35 HR and 16 SB. Anyone seen him play?

Granting that he would be your 2nd (or even third) C in a deep league, is he worth a late risk? He should be available in dollar days....I think.

I played college baseball with Josh. Great athlete. He played third and caught at Auburn and he could mash. He has legit power but he won't hit for much average and he'll strike out a good bit. I'm certainly rooting for him.

Comment

The A's are rooting for him to win the job at 3B. Their other options aren't good. Whether he can hit at all is an open question, but he'll definitely get a shot, and you could do worse for a $2 catcher.

Comment

I had him targeted in the post keeper portion of my dynasty draft, but he went before Buck + Hernandez + Hundley. I planned to take him right after those 3 went as my 3rd catcher to keep the bench warm. Oh well.

I think his value lies in his wheels and how often he gets on base. If he gets on base he may move up a bit in the batting order increase his counting stats. His avg is going to be low and I'm not expecting more than 10-12 HR's, so his value must be in R's and SB's. That is assuming he keeps the job all year. Given the lack of options in Oakland he may keep the job regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
          I think his value lies in his wheels and how often he gets on base. ... His avg is going to be low ...
          this is why he's on my avoid list; I wouldn't be surprised to see Oak trade for a journeyman 3bman late in ST, or pick one up off waivers.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I know how much we all love statistical weirdnesses

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/29563/josh-donaldson

wow - that is bad

Comment

Working...
            X