Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sp opinions please -- short or long term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sp opinions please -- short or long term?

I have 4 SP keepers that I can either keep for just this year at $10 or the next 3 at $10-$15-$20. Have to declare now, though, and there's a penalty for dropping a long-term guy.

Which if any of these guys would you long-term?

Gio Gonzales
    Jordan Zimmerman
    Anibal Sanchez
    Jeremy Hellickson

Thanks.

Need some league details to answer...type of league, categories, number of teams, budget, etc.

Comment

What Ryno said, but in terms of my general willingness to long-term them I'd rank them:

Zimm
      Hellboy
      ~~~~
      huge gap
      ~~~~
      Anibal
      Gio

Comment

Is it al or none on the raises? Can you just go one year to $15?

Comment

16-team mixed. All or nothing, 1 year or 3. Points league where WHIP and ERA matter most, wins not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
            16-team mixed. All or nothing, 1 year or 3. Points league where WHIP and ERA matter most, wins not so much.
            That's tough. Given those parameters, I would say Hellboy is the only candidate I'd consider. But how much BETTER is he really going to get over the next 3 years? How close are you to contending this year? I know you're not committing any extra cash by extending him but you are adding to his trade value (in theory). I think I'd do it but I have a minor Hellboy mancrush.

Comment

I expect to contend this year. Certainly keeping all 4 at $10.

The top stud SPs in this league go for $40+. 2nd tier, $30.

Comment

I love Zimmermann, I'd give him 3 years.

I don't like Hellickson...but lots of others do. If I were to give him 3 years it'd be with the intent to trade him IF he starts off hot. I don't feel comfortable about that, so personally I'd just give him the year.

I'm on the fence with both Gio and Anibal. I think they're both under valued this year, but there are risks associated with both. if pressed I would extend both, but I'm less confident than I am Zimmermnan

Comment

Ok one more point for reference. You state that you extend 3 years at $5 per year. Does that mean 10 this year 10 next year then 15 then 20? That would be a 3 year extension. But if you mean 10 this year then 15 then 20 that would be keeping them for three but only a two year extension.

Also what is the penalty?

If it is my first example where you get them for 2 years at the current price, I would be tempted to extend all of them. If only a total of three years I would probably only extend Hellickson.

Comment

16 team mixed? I don't extend any of them. I like Zimmerman and Hellickson, but there's enough depth at SP that I wouldn't want to be tied to $35 over two years for either of them, unless the penalty to drop the contract is pretty minor.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Ok one more point for reference. You state that you extend 3 years at $5 per year. Does that mean 10 this year 10 next year then 15 then 20? That would be a 3 year extension. But if you mean 10 this year then 15 then 20 that would be keeping them for three but only a two year extension.

Also what is the penalty?

If it is my first example where you get them for 2 years at the current price, I would be tempted to extend all of them. If only a total of three years I would probably only extend Hellickson.
                      10 this year either way.

$10 in 2012, $15 in 2013, $20 in 2014 the long term way.

If you cut a long term guy you lose half his salary from your budget in the next auction.

Comment

I should also note that we start 5 SPs. 16-team mixed, like I said. Our budget is $260 and we can keep up to $100 worth of players each year.

Comment

I have 4 SP keepers that I can either keep for just this year at $10 or the next 3 at $10-$15-$20. Have to declare now, though, and there's a penalty for dropping a long-term guy.

Which if any of these guys would you long-term?

Gio Gonzales
                          Jordan Zimmerman
                          Anibal Sanchez
                          Jeremy Hellickson

Thanks.
                          None. I'd go in with all for at only $10 and then you're not tied to them. I don't trust starting pitchers and usually will only extend a young, cheap hitter.

Comment

I should also note that we start 5 SPs. 16-team mixed, like I said. Our budget is $260 and we can keep up to $100 worth of players each year.
                            Then none.

Comment

Working...
                            X