2k19: Buster Posey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k19: Buster Posey

Am I the only one who thinks Posey is being a little bit overdrafted?

Aside from concerns about how well his knee will hold up, I am also a little worried about how he seemed to come back to earth a bit in 2011.

Final 2011 stats: 185 PA, .284/.368/.389, 4 HR, 21 RBI, 17 R, 3 SB, 10% walk rate, 16% K Rate, .326 BABIP

His 2010 line is what makes him so attractive as a catcher: .305/.357/.505 with 18 HR in 443 PA. He was more than 100 points off of that SLG in 2011, and I haven't seen much mention of that this year.

His BABIP was actually higher in 2011 when he hit .284 than it was in 2010 when he hit .305 (because he had more Ks and less HRs).

He also stole 3 bases in a very short time in 2011, after not stealing any in 2010, so after a major injury I'm not sure that speed comes back.

It wouldn't shock me to see him hit .280-15-80-70r-3sb in 2012, which wouldn't be a very good return on his ADP as the #3 or #4 catcher (after Napoli, Santana, maybe McCann).

I agree with your projections and assessment that he's being overdrafted. Using Rotolab and my projections, I have Posey with similar projections, which gives him a value of $14, or about $4 more than Matt Wieters. By comparison, Pujols has a value of $50.

Comment

Also, with Belt/Huff both in the mix and not much in the way of usable backup catchers, I don't see the Giants giving him a lot of time at 1B this year, so you can't count on those free 75 PAs.

Comment

I know they are bringing him along slowly but I am a little concerned that he won't be ready for the season, at least not at Catcher. I have him at $5 in a 14 team mixed league and he is definitely a keeper at that price. I am not sure if I just take the savings and hope for the best or extend him to 10-15 for two years or 10-15-20 for three.

Comment

Can you trade him?

I'd only gor $5 one year in mixed if you are a strong contender otherwise. Enjoy a profit.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            Can you trade him?

I'd only gor $5 one year in mixed if you are a strong contender otherwise. Enjoy a profit.
            I could try to trade him. I am sure I will get low ball offers due to his health concerns. I will probably keep him at 5 and hope for the best.

Comment

Yeah, this is just the kind of player where if you are offering - then others assume he's too risky.
              More of a "trapdoor spider" thing - if someone stumbles into your range with some interest, THEN you can strike.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

What the hell happened to this guy? I thought he would have been a top 3 catcher for a long time. He was just dropped in my dynasty no-salary league, but I don't need him (Sanchez).

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                  What the hell happened to this guy? I thought he would have been a top 3 catcher for a long time. He was just dropped in my dynasty no-salary league, but I don't need him (Sanchez).
                  Getting older, injuries, catching is a very demanding physical position to play. He also was on 7 day DL for concussion earlier so maybe that is still effecting him.

Comment

funny, sort of, that I own him yet again

I bought the Giants "over the hill gang" - Posey, Belt, Crawford, Jeff S, Cueto - this year

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      funny, sort of, that I own him yet again

I bought the Giants "over the hill gang" - Posey, Belt, Crawford, Jeff S, Cueto - this year
                      How is that working out for you? Of course I should talk having gotten Kemp, Zobrist, Dozier and Donaldson on my team. Even went after Cespedes in reserve round foolishly thinking he'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                        How is that working out for you?
                        Belt is on pace to set his career high in HR, but overall, yuck!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Belt is on pace to set his career high in HR, but overall, yuck!
                          It seems like every season right about this time this is written and then....

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                            It seems like every season right about this time this is written and then....
                            You are safe, I am not trading for him this year.

Comment

Working...
                            X