2k12: Astros Closer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k12: Astros Closer

Apparently it's Brett Myers (Brad Mills named him this morning)

check out his splits in time thru lineup

Comment

Interesting. Seems like it would have been better long term to keep him as a starter and then trade him as the deadline approached.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        check out his splits in time thru lineup

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...reer&t=p#times
        Honestly there isn't much there. AVG/OBP/SLG, 1st/2nd/3rd time through the order:

.248 .317 .419
        .260 .319 .439
        .276 .335 .448

I think that's probably comparable to most starters. Here's CC Sabathia, workhorse/120 pitch durability machine:

.233 .292 .361
        .256 .313 .390
        .249 .312 .374

Plus, the Astros have a ton of relievers and not a lot of starters. This move seems strange to me based on their current assets. Wandy, Norris.... Happ, Livan, Lyles? Ugh.

Comment

Myers was excellent as the Phillies closer a few years ago. He's got a good fastball (or he did back then) and he really let it rip.

Comment

What Bigjon said. I guess that Texas heat really does make you crazy.

Comment

I like the move. I think Myers will do very well.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Do you think Mike (KS) had anything to do with this?

I think it will be the best thing for Myers, probably not the best thing for the Astros. He will probably be a more successful pitcher as the closer, but the guy who takes his spot in the rotation will be a far less successful starter than Myers would have been.

ETA: And likewise, someone else probably could have done just as well as the closer. So all in all, it probably works for Myers, but I don't see it as the best use of Houston's resources.
                Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                  Interesting. Seems like it would have been better long term to keep him as a starter and then trade him as the deadline approached.
                  Perhaps they think he will have more trade value as a closer.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I think this is an interesting gamble on their part. Myers has give the tiniest bit of hint that he could regain some of his future success even though he's recently been below-par. However, if moving to the bullpen helps him succeed and he lights them up, he could really be worth something at the trade deadline, much more so than had he had another mediocre season. I have no evidence other than anecdotal, but seems to me that deadline deal pitchers are valued as such:

1) Aces
                    2) Strong #2s
                    3) Closers
                    4) Strong #3s
                    5) Solid bullpen arms
                    6) Other pitchers

It seems to me that as a starter, Myers has a value of 6. However, a switch to the bullpen moves him, at least, to a 5 and possibly to a 3 in trade value. That seems like a win to me. He's done it before; it might just work. Also, isn't he a bit of a headcase? Maybe he asked for this, and it'll help him get his mojo back. I don't know, but this seems so crazy that it just might work.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                      Also, isn't he a bit of a headcase?
                      Is that what they call wife beaters these days?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                        I think this is an interesting gamble on their part. Myers has give the tiniest bit of hint that he could regain some of his future success even though he's recently been below-par. However, if moving to the bullpen helps him succeed and he lights them up, he could really be worth something at the trade deadline, much more so than had he had another mediocre season. I have no evidence other than anecdotal, but seems to me that deadline deal pitchers are valued as such:

1) Aces
                        2) Strong #2s
                        3) Closers
                        4) Strong #3s
                        5) Solid bullpen arms
                        6) Other pitchers

It seems to me that as a starter, Myers has a value of 6. However, a switch to the bullpen moves him, at least, to a 5 and possibly to a 3 in trade value. That seems like a win to me. He's done it before; it might just work. Also, isn't he a bit of a headcase? Maybe he asked for this, and it'll help him get his mojo back. I don't know, but this seems so crazy that it just might work.
                        In 2010 he was at least a four on your scale and a 2 upside is there. Last year was horrible, but it seemed like a rebound was a pretty reasonable expectation. i think it is easier for him to be a 5 on your scale or even a 3, but the starter version is worth more in a trade.

Comment

i was really hoping they'd eventually move bud norris into the closer role.

Comment

They still could, if Myers is traded in July or August.

Comment

How is the experiment going?

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                              X