HDID - have I lost "it"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDID - have I lost "it"?

As I spend less and less time on fantasy baseball (new dad, side business, full time job, wife) I worry I am not prepared every spring.

I am in a 20 team league with the guys @ askrotoman.com (haven't been there for a while ...). These guys know baseball, at least I think so. They also draft really early - as in tonight we drafted.

No keepers - standard Yahoo stats and format - but with a FAAB process and there are 20 owners. Talent gets spread with 20 owners. No Position played limit or IP limit.

Anyhow, this is the team I just drafted. I had the 8th pick. It was agreed that Kemp getting to me was wrong. But hey, I took it happily. (one pick was made by a guy who enjoys a "theme" draft style - but still, Kemp!)

Here is my squad. I'd love folks to rip it apart and tell me what I need to build on.

C J.P. Arencibia (bad BA - next guy takes care of that)
    1B Ike Davis (looking for 25HR 80RBI .280 i'd be happy)
    2B Aaron Hill (looked good in ARI)
    3B Aramis Ramirez (steady as she goes)
    SS Elvis Andrus (love the line up and speed)
    OF Matt Kemp (duh pick)
    OF Carlos Beltran (hoping for 25/80/.275)
    OF Coco Crisp (speed speed speed)
    Util Derrek Lee (sorta has a job. safe 20/70)
    BN Justin Morneau (gamble)
    BN Travis Snider (gamble (I need to stop taking))

SP Felix Hernandez (mm, yea - good)
    SP Justin Masterson (seems to have harnessed his "stuff" - even if it is 3rd starter stuff
    RP Sergio Santos (I like him a lot in TOR +Ks)
    RP Jonny Venters (MR strategy + Ks)
    P Aaron Crow (he starts - yay! if not, decent MR - K/IP)
    P Antonio Bastardo (MR strategy - or Palps implodes +Ks)
    P Colby Lewis (Ks, Ws)
    BN Mark Buehrle (another steady as she goes. Now gets to pitch to pitchers. Went late)
    BN Bartolo Colon (4.00/1.30 in NYY - OAK should be ok .. + Ks)

I know I am short on saves.

Thoughts?

Round Pick Player Position
    1. (8) Matt Kemp OF
    2. (33) Felix Hernandez SP
    3. (48) Elvis Andrus SS
    4. (73) Aramis Ramirez 3B
    5. (88) Carlos Beltran OF
    6. (113) Ike Davis 1B
    7. (128) Sergio Santos RP
    8. (153) Aaron Hill 2B
    9. (168) Coco Crisp OF
    10. (193) Justin Masterson SP
    11. (208) J.P. Arencibia C
    12. (233) Colby Lewis SP
    13. (248) Jonny Venters RP
    14. (273) Justin Morneau 1B
    15. (288) Aaron Crow RP
    16. (313) Mark Buehrle SP
    17. (328) Derrek Lee 1B
    18. (353) Antonio Bastardo RP
    19. (368) Bartolo Colon SP
    20. (393) Travis Snider OF

Comment

Not sure how much these guys know their stuff if they let Kemp slip to you at #8. That's absolutely insane. Anyway, rest assured that you haven't lost it. The offense is pretty great. I'm a bit concerned about the pitching, though. You essentially have one ace, one solid starter (Lewis -- who I'm concerned about with the fact that he started giving up hr's at an alarming rate), and two so-so guys (Buehrle and Masterson). Would have liked to have seen you speculate on some high-upside pitchers at the end of the draft. As you say, you're also short on saves. I think you could have some real issues in the pitching categories but your offense may more than make up for it.

Comment

D Lee has a safe job? Where?
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I like your team. But, as mentioned, what kind of points will your pitching produce? If you can be mid-pack in pitching, your hitting could carry you to a top spot.

Comment

I actually like your pitching more than most, but I agree that it isn't great. Crow ran out of gas as a reliever... no way he can start effectively. And I don't even love him as a good-ratio RP. But Venters and Bastardo are fine guys to have active in a 20-teamer and sort of cover the low K's from Buehrle and Masterson. Have 1 closer isn't the end of the world in a 20-teamer either. Colby does worry me and I know Colon has that nice ballpark but he was so completely out of gas at the end of 2011 I'm not sure he can bounce back.

And as Hammer mentioned, D Lee does NOT have a job, he is unsigned and probably will be forced to retire. Couple that with Morneau's issues and Snider possibly being a bench/AAA guy and your depth is in trouble.

Comment

Thanks fellas. I was unaware about D.Lee.
              This sort of league is risk reward. I'll look for some hitting jewels on the FA list.

Comment

Working...
              X