NL Keeper list - Time to blow up and rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL Keeper list - Time to blow up and rebuild

11 Team, 25 man roster (extra utility and pitcher), $280 cap 4X4 with 16 max keepers. To win the league last year, I was basically forced to do a multi player deadline deal. This is the team I have going into this year. All 'B' and 'F' players are going into their last contract year but can be extended for an extra 3 years by increasing salary by $15.

Reyes 37B
    Wright 46A
    B Phillips 31A
    Upton 19F
    Carlos Lee 27A
    Braun 17F
    Werth 33A
    S Castro 2B
    Barajas 10A
    ARam 34B

Gallardo 41B
    Dempster 21A
    Wandy Rodriguez 24B
    Lee 44A
    Carpenter 32A
    Cain 37A
    Jansen 4A
    Putz 20A

I've contemplated extending Upton and Braun,keeping some other players going into their last years to make deals later to rebuild, and hope for the best in the auction. Any thoughts? Thanks.

If the other player prices are fair for your league you clearly have to extend Upton and Braun. Castro at $17 is reasonable -- it's not a crazy deal but again if the other prices are real then it's definitely better than you'd expect to get him at in the auction.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I'd extend Upton, Braun, and Castro and keep Reyes and Jansen at 37 and 4.

If you have the balls of a lion and good auction skills, you could go all-in this year and keep Upton, Braun, Reyes, Jansen at their prices, and I'd extend Castro. If my math is right, that leaves you with $186 for your remaining players.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Upton and Braun would go $40 easily in this league. The owners love to bid up the stars. Jansen is a no brainer.

Comment

Your only extension option is three years? Interesting rule...

I don't know all of the dynamics of your league (especially when it comes to in-season dump trades), but if you want to try and win this year, my initial though was to NOT extend Upton and Braun (they are mild bargains if you extend them, but +50 in value if you play them out this year). Pair those two up with a great middle infield of Reyes, Phillips and Castro ($2), plus Jansen and Putz in the pen, and you might have a chance...

P.S. Your prices for starting pitchers look insane for a 4x4 league.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post

I don't know all of the dynamics of your league (especially when it comes to in-season dump trades), but if you want to try and win this year, my initial though was to NOT extend Upton and Braun (they are mild bargains if you extend them, but +50 in value if you play them out this year). Pair those two up with a great middle infield of Reyes, Phillips and Castro ($2), plus Jansen and Putz in the pen, and you might have a chance...

We have no rules regulating in-season dump trades (when I rebuild, I love making 3-4 dump trades to get what I want for the future). If I don't extend anyone and keep Reyes, Phillips, and Putz but my auction ends up being a disaster, I can easily spin those guys off to contenders. As far as the auction itself, the 'prospects' are always overpriced - there is never a bargain to be found. I prefer the boring guys that are reliable (but usually untradeable).

And yes - starting pitcher prices are always insane.

I've had 2 inquiries about trading either Upton or Braun prior to the season, but nothing substantial yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post

I agree with Ryno on this one. I am a fan of giving an extra year but your rules put a much different spin on it. If trading is easy, take the profit plus the extra $30 to spend at auction and go for it. If you fall short you will have nice trading chips .

Comment

I'd hedge. It's lame but I think it's what I'd do here.

Extend Braun and Castro, and not Upton. Keep Jansen and Reyes. Decide whether you want to pay the crazy price for SPs now and maybe think about keeping Lee? I wouldn't do it but maybe it's worth a shot.

Comment

Working...
                X