Clear All

• Extension Thoughts

12-team, AL-only, 5x5, $260 budget

I have the following four players entering their option/extend season:

Carlos Santana - $10
    Josh Hamilton - $22

Doug Fister - $5
    Chris Perez - $13

I can play them out at their current salary or extend at a cost of $5 for each additional year. I have one of the best teams entering the auction with around $130 to spend (before extensions) on 10 players. Inflation is around 21%. Thoughts???

I generally don't extend pitchers and I don't think either has the track record to warrant an extension. I would extend both hitters but Hamilton would scare me a little.

Comment

agree. santana & hamilton +$5 each.
      One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

I would only do Santana. Wonderboy just scares me too much to count on a profit at $27. I'd do Fister before I did Wonderboy.

Comment

Given the inflation I would extend Hamilton and Santana one year each.

If you have a good team and are in the hunt you limit who you can trade these to. If you do not extend them they will only have value to the ones fighting for the money and you will not want to trade them to your competition.

If you didn't have Hamilton and Santana to extend I would be tempted to extend both pitchers, but you do. So if you think you want to keep or trade (see above) you might consider extending. $110 is still very strong going in.

I think all of them will earn profit if you extended them. I sure could see a case not extending the pitchers and having $120 to spend.

If it were my team I like them all well enough to extend them and go in 110.

Comment

Is Hamilton's contract up this year or next? There is talk that the Rangers might not extend him... which might move him out of the AL.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
              12-team, AL-only, 5x5, $260 budget

I have the following four players entering their option/extend season:

Carlos Santana - $10
              Josh Hamilton - $22

Doug Fister - $5
              Chris Perez - $13

I can play them out at their current salary or extend at a cost of $5 for each additional year. I have one of the best teams entering the auction with around $130 to spend (before extensions) on 10 players. Inflation is around 21%. Thoughts???
              The only player I consider for extension is c.santana and that would be for 1 extra year max.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                The only player I consider for extension is c.santana and that would be for 1 extra year max.
                Agreed, and I would only extend him if it's a 2-Catcher league.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

At that kind of inflation level, I'd extend Santana without hesitation one year. JC's point about Hamilton is good - the Rangers were said to break off contract extension discussions with him this week. I'd play him out.

No way on CPerez. Fister is marginal; I see him as a $13-14 pitcher, meaning he'd cost about $16-17 in your league. I'd probably extend him one year.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Thanks for the input. My initial thought was to extend both hitters one year and no extension for the pitchers (which also seems to be the consensus here). For me, extending Carlos Santana is the no-brainer (it is a two catcher league) while extending Chris Perez is unlikely ($18 isn't a bad price, but it puts him close to auction value without a big upside). I'm almost certain to extend Josh Hamilton despite the risks. He's a stud and can easily out-earn his $27 salary for two years. I like Doug Fister and think that he'll be more than solid this year, but his limited strikeout numbers (and being a pitcher) make me hesitant to extend him (especially since I'm already extending Santana and Hamilton).

Comment

Thanks for the input. My initial thought was to extend both hitters one year and no extension for the pitchers (which also seems to be the consensus here). For me, extending Carlos Santana is the no-brainer (it is a two catcher league) while extending Chris Perez is unlikely ($18 isn't a bad price, but it puts him close to auction value without a big upside). I'm almost certain to extend Josh Hamilton despite the risks. He's a stud and can easily out-earn his $27 salary for two years. I like Doug Fister and think that he'll be more than solid this year, but his limited strikeout numbers (and being a pitcher) make me hesitant to extend him (especially since I'm already extending Santana and Hamilton).
                      In my 12 team AL 4x4 I will keep Fister at $10, but I am not sure I would extend him to $10. I would rather lock up his value since he only has one good year under his belt. I am sure he would go for more than $10, but not sure how much more.

Comment

Save $5 bucks by not extending Perez and put it towards trying to get Addison Reed. I'd just extend Santana.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          Save $5 bucks by not extending Perez and put it towards trying to get Addison Reed. I'd just extend Santana.
                          In my AL only league you would have to extend Hamilton by a year then trade him for Addison Reed. He is kept on a reserve roster. He will be $2 when activated.

I understand the reluctance to extend Hamilton. If he doesn't he is for sure done. If he extends he has a very good chance of keeping him undervalue in 2013.

Comment

Working...
                          X