2K12: Justin Morneau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K12: Justin Morneau

Such a talented player losing the prime of his career to concussions. Morneau was heading to another AL MVP award in '10, leading the AL in batting at .345 and with 18 HRs, when the concussions started. He missed the remainder of the year and most of last year as well.

What's the local news on him? Is the thinking is he'll be healthy in '12, or should the buyer beware?

I thought that I read at Rotoworld and saw on MLBTV that he was still having some symptoms. They also mentioned that he was hopeful to be squared away by Spring training. This was about 2-3 weeks ago.
    Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
    Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
      I thought that I read at Rotoworld and saw on MLBTV that he was still having some symptoms. They also mentioned that he was hopeful to be squared away by Spring training. This was about 2-3 weeks ago.
      Don't these two points seem mutually exclusive? If he's still experiencing symptoms after all these months how is he going to be 100% in a few weeks? Morneau is a guy I won't touch in any league unless he comes at about a 90% discount, which isn't going to happen.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I listened to his "recovery progress" last year and traded for him. Now I have a $30 boat anchor in my AL only 5x5.

If he hits .345 and 10hrs in Spring Training I will not keep him. He will have to go for under $15 for him to be on my team. And that is if the likes of a Pujols, Fielder, Konerko, Teixeiria are not already in the slot.

Comment

If he's there in the very last round I may take the flier, but that's it. My issue with him is if you invest when do you cut bait if it isn't working? I mean, if I take a shot on a Lorenzo Cain, Chisenhall, or an Ian Stewart and they bomb out early they're an easy mid April cut. How much leash do you give Morneau? I'm letting him be someone else's problem/potential reward. I traded for him last season to a seller for Jerry Sands just to see and he ended up sitting on my bench for 4 months wasting a spot while others snatched up keepers off waivers. Not doing that again

Comment

I want to believe he'll be back to close to what he was at some point this year, but like everyone else, it is too big of a risk to take unless he comes at a very big discount. It is very concerning to read that he is still is dealing with symptoms.

Comment

I know that Corey Koskie never made it back to professional baseball. Has anyone read anything about his quality of life currently?

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                I know that Corey Koskie never made it back to professional baseball. Has anyone read anything about his quality of life currently?
                Koskie lives n the Twin Cities. He has opened a couple of low cost gyms in the area. I know he was recently on one of the local news station regarding his concussions, but I'm not sure what he said.

As for Mourneau, I'll need to see a lot from him inthe spring. While the Twins are publically stating he is their first baseman. I think they are really hoping he can muster heing a reliable DH most of the time.
                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Morneau reported to camp today and spoke to reporters. Reading between the lines, it doesn't look all that promising.

`` Well, I don’t think there will be a career if it’s something I’m dealing with,’’ he said. ``That’s the reality of the whole thing. I’m obviously not going to continue to mess around with this if it continues to be a problem. There comes a point where you can only torture yourself for so long.

``It’s something I love to do but you keep preparing and you keep being left out, that’s something that nobody wants to go through . obviously it’s been a tough winter that way. I try not to think about that kind of stuff. Obviously it’s crossed my mind and it’s something I’ve had to think about but when that stuff comes into my mind I continue to look for something positive, and look how far I’ve come in the last week or in the last month and just hope it continues to go well.''

``Everything has been pretty good since January, I'd say. Somewhere in there. I don't know. It’s hard to tell. There’s times Where I won't feel that good and wake up the next day and feel fine, just knowing it may have been a little extra fatigue or I did too much that day or whatever it is. I can't really remember the last time that was. So it has been good for awhile.''

Are there certain symptoms you can play through, or certain symptoms you know you can't play through?
                  Morneau: ``It's not usually during (a workout). Usually I'm able to get through the workout when I sit down, the adrenaline stops and I just sort of take a step back and just sit there and go, `Oh, maybe I did a little too much today.' So if there's symptoms there, if there's anything I've learned, there's nothing that's worth risking it for, If there's something there and it happens again then I'm even further back than I was. We're not going to start at 85-90 percent with that. It's not going to be something we're going to take a chance with. Right now. I don't feel like that is going to be the case.
                  Justin Morneau spoke on Friday morning in Fort Myers, and if you get past the usual optimism that every athlete offers when dealing with injuries, the news was not good.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Sell, Mortimer! Sell!!!

Comment

Is Parmalee viable as a replacement if Morneau doesn't work out?
                      I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                      You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                      "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                      It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Morneau reported to camp today and spoke to reporters. Reading between the lines, it doesn't look all that promising.
                        Wow...that sounds like a guy who's trying to come to grips with the end of his career.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                          Is Parmalee viable as a replacement if Morneau doesn't work out?
                          If Morneau is out I expect the Twins to go with Mauer at 1B. They can't risk him as well.
                          Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                            If Morneau is out I expect the Twins to go with Mauer at 1B. They can't risk him as well.
                            That won't happen this year, and maybe not for a while longer. Mauer is embarrassed about last year, and he's bound and determined to show people that he can not only catch 130 games, but that he's still one of the best hitters in the game. I would suspect that Doumit will play a lot at 1st, and maybe Parmalee as a back-up.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                            X