No announcement yet.

Proof of the Blue Jays stealing signs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof of the Blue Jays stealing signs?

In a column for ESPN The Magazine, Peter Keating revisits the sign-stealing evidence against the Toronto Blue Jays one last time before the team escapes punishment.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I was expecting to see a picture of Bill Belichek wearing a Blue Jays hoodie.

This article didn't convince me when i read it last year. Hard to prove though, so who knows?
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

No formal complaints, just mutterings and b****ing. Jose Bautista gets no respect.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

repeating the point made last time ... every game is obviously televised - presumably reporters from ESPN would have access to these, probably even the raw footage ... this shouldn't be difficult to prove. shoddy journalism imo.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          repeating the point made last time ... every game is obviously televised - presumably reporters from ESPN would have access to these, probably even the raw footage ... this shouldn't be difficult to prove. shoddy journalism imo.
          I guess that I don't get your point...should there be a camera trained at the CF area at all times to see if there's someone sitting out there flashing signs?
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

What a pile of garbage. They use Toronto pitchers' ability to limit HR as part of the equation that shows the Jays are using a spy. It's ridiculous. Aside from the fact that the 2005 Rangers are also ahead of the Jays. Also, concluding that the reason the numbers normalized must be that the Jays immediately stopped employing a spy after that poorly-formed article came out... wow.

Pat yourself on the back a little harder, Keating. You found the problem, and then it disappeared immediately because of your top notch detective work, not because numbers eventually correct themselves given enough repetition. Get real.

Also, why does Keating continue to emphasize the home/away splits? The Jays were supposedly getting a ton of extra offense from the man in white, but flying him to opposition ballparks would just be too expensive? Why would you only have the guy in Toronto? Makes zero sense.

That's not even mentioning the cherry-picked stats that make up their evidence.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              I guess that I don't get your point...should there be a camera trained at the CF area at all times to see if there's someone sitting out there flashing signs?
              my point is that over the course of 81 home games it shouldn't be that difficult to get some video evidence.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                my point is that over the course of 81 home games it shouldn't be that difficult to get some video evidence.
                Actually, it's pretty rare for a camera to be trained on the OF for any reason other than to follow the ball off the bat. So it's going to be difficult to have any visual evidence unless you train a camera on the spectators in the OF seats for quite a while.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

If someone is going to accuse the Blue Jays of stealing signs, they could have easily proven it by taking video of the guy in CF themselves. Why do they have to rely on the TV cameras? The fact that no one has any video evidence, when this story has been around for over a year, is pretty clear evidence that it's not a story.

Comment

Working...
                  X