2K12: Yoenis Cespedes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K12: Yoenis Cespedes

The latest reports indicate that he is likely to end up in Miami. If that happens, where does he play and what does that mean for Bonifacio, who is currently slated in CF, in between Morrsion and Stanton. Bonifacio had a great year last year and I'm counting on him as a cheap keeper, but I assume if the Marlins land Cespedes, that means Bonifacio is no longer a sure thing starter. Is that correct?
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-07-2012, 11:17 PM.

I would bet that Cespedes wouldnt make the major league roster this season. From what I read he was having trouble hitting in the Dominican winter league...he needs to see some pitching (in the minors).

Comment

Coincidentally, I was having this very conversation with a person in my fantasy league who was contemplating trading for Bonifacio. My feeling is that it is very premature to think that the Marlins will sign him as the figure mentioned of 60 mil for 6 years seems sky high. Marlins interest might be to draw up publicity. If they do sign him I have read that he might not be quite ready for the majors, and might not be a fit in center. The Marlins could go in different ways. Trade Hanley and put Boni at 3rd(or2nd and Infante to 3rd). Bench Boni and have him remain a utility player. Trade Sanchez or LoMo thus opening up left. It's all so speculative right now but I wouldn't trade for Bonifacio except at a discount right now. Even if the marlins don't sign Cespedes there is no guarentee that Bonifacio will start as they could try to go with Coghlan again if he has a good spring. This is a long winded way of saying that I think you're correct but wouldn't put money on it.

Comment

I'm not convinced the Marlins will sign him, but I do think wherever he signs, he'll spend at least 2 months at AAA before coming up.

Comment

Any good data on him we can look at?
          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
            Any good data on him we can look at?

Clay Davenport has a good piece on his blog
            about how he thinks Cespedes' Cuban stats will translate. It is well worth reading.

Essentially he comes to the conclusion that a good MLB counterpart would be Adam Jones. I think that is a nice place to start.

Plus he has his complete Cuban League Statistics and the rest of the league as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post

about how he thinks Cespedes' Cuban stats will translate. It is well worth reading.

Essentially he comes to the conclusion that a good MLB counterpart would be Adam Jones. I think that is a nice place to start.

Plus he has his complete Cuban League Statistics and the rest of the league as well.
              Jeez, Adam Jones is a pretty solid comp despite the k rates that Davenport notes. I hate seeing bad plate approaches. I think some American baseball indoctrination by way of the minor leagues would be good. Dayan Viceido comes to mind. Good power, imported from Cuba, contact issues.
              Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Good article. He does say that Cespedes comes out like Jones if he had 20 less hits and 20 more walks, which matters for fantasy. Other than that I agree with most of the offensive projections and it's about in line with what I've heard and read... .240-.250 might be realistic, but 25-30 HR is also a good probability.

The fact that Cespedes' HRs in Cuba seem to be part of a trend of increasing power in Cuba gives me a little bit of pause and so I won't say that he could likely be a 35-40 HR guy. But I still think he has more power than Jones.

I'm not convinced Cespedes can really stick in CF which puts a big dent in his RL value, but I guess we'll wait and see. Maybe he has good instincts, since his wheels seem pretty average. Torii Hunter made that work for a long time. Is Cespedes that good, or even close?

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                  Jeez, Adam Jones is a pretty solid comp despite the k rates that Davenport notes. I hate seeing bad plate approaches. I think some American baseball indoctrination by way of the minor leagues would be good. Dayan Viceido comes to mind. Good power, imported from Cuba, contact issues.
                  I hate bad approaches too. But in Fantasy you sometimes have to put counting stats as your first priority. I know I've hurt my teams in the past searching for a certain type of hitter over the power monsters who swing at everything. You need some of those too.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    Good article. He does say that Cespedes comes out like Jones if he had 20 less hits and 20 more walks, which matters for fantasy. Other than that I agree with most of the offensive projections and it's about in line with what I've heard and read... .240-.250 might be realistic, but 25-30 HR is also a good probability.

The fact that Cespedes' HRs in Cuba seem to be part of a trend of increasing power in Cuba gives me a little bit of pause and so I won't say that he could likely be a 35-40 HR guy. But I still think he has more power than Jones.

I'm not convinced Cespedes can really stick in CF which puts a big dent in his RL value, but I guess we'll wait and see. Maybe he has good instincts, since his wheels seem pretty average. Torii Hunter made that work for a long time. Is Cespedes that good, or even close?
                    I don't get why people are comparing his body to Kirby Puckett. He appears to have the speed to play a passable center field. If he has the slightest clue how to track balls off the bat he should be okay.

Comment

I don't think that the Marlins will sign him if they don't think that he can play centerfield, at least in the short term. They already have LoMo and Stanton in the corners. If Cespedes turns out to be below average in center, I could see them shopping LoMo next off-season.

Comment

I don't get why people are comparing his body to Kirby Puckett. He appears to have the speed to play a passable center field. If he has the slightest clue how to track balls off the bat he should be okay.
                        Does Torii Hunter look like Kirby Puckett? Torii Hunter is 6'2, 225. That's a big dude. And he's never been a burner. That's what I think of when I see Cespedes... Hunter, Josh Hamilton, someone like that. In his prime, in shape, with good instincts, he can play CF. Once he loses a step or doesn't have perfect read on the ball? He's going to be stretched out there.

Jones is 6'3, 220 but he can run a little better and has excellent instincts.

Bernie Williams is listed as 6'2, 180 and he wasn't a burner either, so he could handle CF when everything was perfect, and then when it wasn't, he was a hot mess. Different body type, same results.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                          I don't think that the Marlins will sign him if they don't think that he can play centerfield, at least in the short term. They already have LoMo and Stanton in the corners. If Cespedes turns out to be below average in center, I could see them shopping LoMo next off-season.
                          I think ultimately, Morrison ends up at first base.

Comment

so what are some projections on Cespedes for 2K12? The Shandler projection is a little off the wall, if you ask me:
                            494 ABs, 73 R, 20 HR, 86 RBI, 14 SB, .268

Comment

Cespedes will go to Japan and will play CF. Crisp will be in left

Comment

Working...
                              X