Was this an offer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this an offer?

When it comes to trading, I generally try to go out of my way to make sure the other guy is satisfied. That way, you make a trading partner for the future.

A small issue has arisen. I was emailing back and forth with another owner, and I sent the following: (player names changed to protect the innocent...I have player X; he has players Y and Z; I also have player Q, who is irrelevant to the conversation.)

I think what I am going to do is shop X around. Over the last seven years, he's averaged 85 runs, 26 home runs, and 81 RBIs. The Yankees have picked up his option for 2012, so he's locked into a starting position. He's 31, a good age for a power hitter, and his league salary is only $6. What's not to like?

Ron Shandler currently predicts the saves in St. Louis to be divided among Y, Z and Q. I already have Q, so I am thinking it might be a good idea to pick up Y and Z from you if possible. Then, if an announcement is made before opening day as to who is going to get the closer spot, I would have all three of the top candidates.

Any interest in X? I know you picked up Mayberry, but I would be very worried about Nix and Dominic Brown if I were you.

Let me know if you want to dance.

I got an email back from the other fellow saying that he was happy to accept my offer of X for Y and Z.

My question to the board is: Did my email constitute an offer which could be accepted without anything further, or was it an invitation to talk trade?

I have pretty much decided that I'm going to let the deal go through, since the other owner is an extremely nice guy, and I do not want to do anything to hurt his feelings or spoil a good trade relationship. But, for my information in connection with future situations that might arise, I need to know whether most people would consider this an offer.

Thanks.

No, I wouldn't consider it an offer, but it's bordering on being able to be confused with one.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Agree with KS. Maybe asking if he was interested in working on a deal that involved the 3 players would have been clearer. If I got your email, I probably would have thought you wanted to move X for Y and Z also.

Comment

That does it, then. If it was anywhere close, I want to give him the benefit of a doubt.

The other background is that he had called me the night before, saying he was looking to trade a closer. We never mentioned X or Z. I also sent out an email to the league later saying I was shopping X.

When I'm making an offer, I always say "I'll offer..." or "You can consider that an offer." But, I know that not everyone is so formalistic, so I'll stick with this deal. I don't like guys who make offers and then withdraw when you try to accept them, and I don't want to get a reputation as being that kind of owner.

Thanks for the help.
        Last edited by ; 02-04-2012, 11:05 AM.

Comment

You were kicking the tires. Now if you want the trade pull the trigger. If not just say I did not make it a firm offer I was opening dialog for a possible trade.

I have had this once before. I said would you do this and the other owner sent confirmation to the comish. I liked the deal so I did not fight it.

Comment

No way is that an offer as you never specifically named a deal.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Doesn't constitute an offer, but if you're happy, go with it. Just be more clear about the purpose of your messages in the future.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                Doesn't constitute an offer, but if you're happy, go with it. Just be more clear about the purpose of your messages in the future.

That's a good tip.

The other owner called me tonight, and he asked me if I wanted to do the deal I had offered, like he didn't consider last night's exchange of emails to have sealed the deal. I asked him what he wanted to do. He said he wanted to make the deal, so I did. I agree with everyone above, the basic sentiments appearing to be 1) it wasn't an offer, 2) it was close enough to an offer for another owner to view it as an offer, and 3) I need to be more clear in the future.

I like the deal okay, although I may have traded a keeper for a non-keeper. We'll see. The one thing I know for sure is that I haven't burned any bridges with this owner, a really nice guy, with whom I would like to deal once again.

Thanks everybody.

Comment

Working...
                X