RHD's Top 150 Roto Prospects - Write-ups #61-#90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHD's Top 150 Roto Prospects - Write-ups #61-#90

61 Martin Perez - His stats took a hit, but experts generally arent deterred. A smallish pitcher for a starter, but supposedly his delivery and durability point toward future success in that role. Always has been very young for his leagues. Throws 90-96 and also has an elite changeup and a good curve. His control and command got him in trouble at AAA, so he'll no doubt return there to start 2012. The Rangers' rotation also appears a bit crowded now, so it may take him a while to crack it.
    62 Randall Delgado - He may be ready for the big time, but looks like no room in the Braves rotation rt now. Some say he could challenge Teheran for the last spot, but I don’t see how he beats him out. He should wind up there eventually.
    63 Tyler Pastornicky - Has been penciled in as the everyday SS in Atlanta. His roto value is in SBs, which decreased to 'only' 27 last year. Has plus speed. Might do well enough to hang on to a starting job, but, even so, probably will have to move to 2B or 3B when Simmons is ready.
    64 Devin Mesoraco - Cincy's catcher not only of the future but of the present also. BA says he's above-average in both hitting and power and looks good enough defensively to stick at C. Folks seem to be assessing him to be an elite player, but I'm skeptical that he's that good. I'm ranking him about as high as I feel I comfortably can considering he's a catcher.
    65 Javy Guerra - Coming almost out of nowhere, he assumed the Dodgers' closer role in mid-season and did a good job. Lots of speculation that he wont hang on to it long (Jansen?, Tolleson?, Reed?), but he's their closer until further developments, and that's why he's this high, altho I factored in some uncertainty. Maybe he can pull a Farnsworth and confound the experts.
    66 Nick Franklin - Not nearly as good a year in 2011 as in 2010, but his health issues (concussion, mononucleosis and food poisoning) may have been mainly responsible. But still a decent year and he made it to AA at age 20. Despite some SBs, he supposedly has only average speed. Solid power and good defense. Was MVP of the AFL Rising Stars Game. Will the concussion affect him long-term?
    67 Will Middlebrooks - Good power potential, doesn’t project to hit for a hi average. Considered good defensively at 3B. Plate discipline is a concern.
    68 Nick Castellanos - Has hit well for average, but the power is not there yet, altho, experts think he could have above-average power. Also, supposedly has good speed, despite few SBs, and is considered OK defensively. Plate discipline needs work.
    69 Cheslor Cuthbert - You'd never tell from his name that he's from Nicaragua. Considered a hi-upside guy. Was the youngest player in the MWL and has held his own so far. Projects to be above-average in hitting and power. He's a below-average runner, and it's a question whether he can stick at 3B.
    70 Travis D'Arnaud - The latest Jays' 'catcher of the future'. His bat should play at another position, if necessary, but Arencibia probably will be the one to move when the time comes, which could be by late 2012.
    71 Jake Odorizzi - Among all of KC's young players and prospects, he tends to get lost, but he's one of the better ones. Throws 90-94 and could be a #2-#3 starter. Should be in the MLB rotation very soon, maybe later this year.
    72 A.J. Cole - Hi upside pitcher. The trade probably increases his chances at a MLB rotation spot in the future. Sits in the mid-90's. Secondary pitches need work.
    73 Zach Lee - Probably the best of several Dodger pitcher top prospects. Throws in low 90's, secondary pitches are pretty well developed and is pretty polished for his age. Potential TOR starter.
    74 Joe Benson - The players so far all have been ones that I would feel comfortable selecting in a roto rookie draft. Now, we're transitioning to another tier of prospects who have more question marks associated w them. Benson gets consideration for a starting spot on the rebuilding Twins now that Cuddyer and Kubel have left (I think he makes the OF along w Span and Revere, while Willingham is the DH). He's still considered a potential 5-tool prospect, and BA says his power, speed and defense all are plus. His problem has been contact rate. Benson's always had potential, but now that he has an opportunity he needs to turn more of it into production. John Manuel of BA indicated that both he and JJ Cooper thought Benson would make BA's overall Top 100, which seems curious because he didn’t even make a BA League Top 20.
    75 Garrett Richards - Has a shot at the opening day starting rotation. Throws in the mid-nineties and has hit 101 mph, so it's curious why his K rate isnt higher but experts think it will go up. Secondary pitches and command need some work. BA projects him as a #3 starter.
    76 Wily Peralta - Has had good stats for years but last year the experts finally started giving him some love. Sits at 91-95. His secondary pitches have improved and now is a potential #2-#3 starter. He would appear to be the 1st in line for a crack at the Brewers rotation, altho he currently figures to start the year in the minors.
    77 Mike Montgomery - Another of the Royals many promising young pitching prospects. Throws 92-93. Struggled w his control in 2011 and got hit fairly hard. Secondary pitches need work, too. But experts still think he can be a TOR starter. He'll probably join the MLB rotation at some point in 2012, maybe even opening day.
    78 Manny Banuelos - Similar to M Perez in that experts think he'll succeed as a starter despite his smallish size. But now that the Yanks got Pineda and Kuroda, I don’t know when if ever he gets into the Yanks' rotation.
    79 Arodys Vizcaino - He's blocked as a starter as Delgado is, but unlike Delgado he might get stuck in the Braves' pen long-term. Since he wont close in Atlanta either, he'd probably benefit by a trade. Has #2-#3 upside as a starter.
    80 Dellin Betances - As I said for Banuelos, it doesn’t look like Betances will get a crack at the Yanks rotation anytime soon. He'll either be in the pen or the minors. BA's rpt says he sits at 91-95; I seem to recall that he used to throw in the upper 90's. His BB rate continues to be a concern. BA also says he doesnt repeat his delivery well, which causes command problems. He may stay in the pen long-term.
    81 Marcell Ozuna - Big time power potential and the experts are finally giving him some respect. Great tools, including a great arm. Also, slightly above speed so the SBs arent a fluke. Needs better plate discipline, but still improved.a lot in that respect in 2011.
    82 Bryce Brentz - Big power potential, and he showed a lot of it last year, hitting 30 HRs. BA says he also has slightly above average speed, altho he had only 3 SBs. Also a very good arm. Plate discipline could use some work.
    83 Brandon Jacobs - Altho he had 30 SBs in 2011, BA says he has only fringy speed, and profiles more as a power hitter. They also say that despite a lot of K's he's a pretty pure hitter and could hit for average.
    84 Trevor Story - Has above-average speed and could have above-average power, too. BA's #1 prospect in Pioneer League.
    85 Javier Baez - Hasn’t played much yet but experts rate him highly. BA's report says he had the best bat speed in the draft. Lots of SBs in HS, but his speed supposedly is only average. Cubs think he could be an elite hitter w above-average power. Most lists will have him higher than this, but I want to see some production before I move him higher, particularly since he's so young.
    86 Yasmani Grandal - Now that he's w the Padres, his path to MLB starterdom seems clearer, altho Hundley is still in front of him. So I wouldn’t figure that he'll start rt away. May need more AAA seasoning anyway. Looks like a good hitter; that 300/400/500 slash stat is pretty unique for a catcher. BA says his profile is similar to Mesoraco's: above-average offensively and solid defensively, w Meso having more power and Grandy a better hitter for average.
    87 Oswaldo Arcia - Continues to hit well in the minors, and he'll have to keep doing that to succeed because he's below average defensively, altho he has a good arm. Has plus power.
    88 Gary Sanchez - His prospect status really took a hit in 2011. He has makeup concerns that reportedly could be serious. Hit much better in 2nd half and his overall stats were pretty good. Supposed to be a good enough hitter to play anywhere, even if he doesn’t stick at catcher, where he is a big question mark rt now.
    89 Zack Cox - His hit tool is his ticket, altho folks think he can stick at 3rd. Was rated the best pure hitter in the 2010 draft. Projects for average power and has no speed to speak of. Might debut at end of 2012.
    90 Jonathan Schoop - Really soared up the prospect charts in 2011 and was one of the few O's in majors or minors to pleasantly surprise. Really is a SS but will play 2B as long as he's on the same team as Machado. BA's report indicates he should have above-average BA, average power but below-average speed despite some SBs. O's may have 2 of their future IFers now but need practically everything else.
    Last edited by rhd; 02-14-2012, 10:49 PM.
Working...
X