2012 eligibilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 eligibilty

Every year cbs has several players listed at incorrect positions based on standard roto eligibility. I notice Jesus Montero at catcher even though he played 14 mlb games at dh and just 3 at catcher in 2011.

I have yet to play in a roto league which follows some sort of "well, he is suppose to play there this UP-coming season, so we'll place player X there for auction purposes" even though there is already mlb game experience. Are there leagues out there which do this?

Anyhow, just wondering if there are other oddly placed players I haven't noticed for the 2012 auctions?

I don't think that placing Montero at catcher is odd in any way. It was his position in the minors, and he had less than 20 games played in the majors. It's customary to put rookies at their minor league positions, since there really sin't anything else to go on.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Mat Gamel 3B and Yonder Alonso OF.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
        I have yet to play in a roto league which follows some sort of "well, he is suppose to play there this UP-coming season, so we'll place player X there for auction purposes" even though there is already mlb game experience. Are there leagues out there which do this?
        I wouldn't be surprised if there are, because minor league games played by position is much easier to find than it used to be.

As for Montero specifically, though, how much time is he gonna really get at catcher? They also have Olivo and Jaso.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Gamel played 20 games at 3rd in AAA ball last year, and Alonso played 16 in the OF once he was called up. Both are a little questionable, but certainly defensible.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

I have always had a dilemna when this situation comes up. I agree that during a given season a players minor league position determines eligibility but I believe that once a player has reached the major leagues,for purposes of the following year, he qualifies at whatever position he has played 20 games at in the previous year (or your leagues positional requirement). If a player does not play 20 games at any position he qualifies at the position he played at the previous season in the major leagues. As these stats were always easily available no team was at a disadvantage and nobody had to buy red books or blue books to research where games were played. My league does allow a player known to be changing positions to additionally be eligible at that position, and we discuss which players this involves prior to or during the auction as needed. Players such as Montero, who sportsline has made eligible at a position not allowed by our league, present enforcement problems and at the auction I would prefer to allow him to be used at catcher-if everyone has an equal opportunity to bid upon him based on that knowledge. Unfortunately, a team might wish to keep him from last year and in that situation they gain an advantage by allowing him to be used at catcher. My hope is that he is not kept or Seattle announces he will be their starting catcher.

In this case I can certainly see why the player has been given the positional eligibility but there have always been players who Sportsline gives positional eligibility by mistake . My problem with these is that Sportsline sometimes will not correct their mistake. They allow the commissioner to add positions (actually put a player at any position which is actually not the same). I wish that they would also allow the commissioner to delete positions.

Comment

Found this under CBS' Comm Tools "Set Player Policies". You can set eligibility policy to just "games played" and eliminate "primary position". This may make Montero ineligibile @ catcher. (*see bold below). Think this will work?

Player Eligibility Policy
              This is where you'll set up your player eligibility rules. Because Baseball players sometimes play multiple positions on the field, that makes it difficult to determine which position a player should be eligible to play in Fantasy. This gives you the freedom to make your own rules in determining that.

Eligibility
              •Primary Position & Games Played - With this setting, the players in your league will be eligible at their Primary Position and any positions for which they qualify as a result of your Games Played eligibility rules. Primary Position is defined by the CBSSports.com Fantasy Experts prior to the season start and is usually a player's natural position or the position they are supposed to be playing during the upcoming season. This is the recommended option to use in your league. If you choose to use only Games Played, you run the risk of having popular players who do not qualify for any position since they may not have played the required number of games yet.
              •Games Played - With this setting, the players in your league will only be eligible at the positions for which they qualify as a result of your Games Played eligibility rules.

Comment

Thank you very much I had not seen this (even with your help it took some time to find). This is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Gamel played 20 games at 3rd in AAA ball last year, and Alonso played 16 in the OF once he was called up. Both are a little questionable, but certainly defensible.
                  Gamel is never defensible at 3B. Offensible, maybe.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                  X