Doing my first scoresheet league this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing my first scoresheet league this year

Who else does this format? First time for me, but it and the leaguemates (BP & other national baseball writers) intrigued me enough to get involved.

I've been doing it for 6 years now, love it - rather than in roto, you draft the best team you can possible - don't worry about who can give you another 5 HR or 3 SB. Large rosters mean following the minor leagues is necessary. Supplemental drafts mean following the minors in-season and the MLB draft is necessary.

Comment

I'd highly encourage people to check out Scoresheet. It's like Strat-o-matic in that actual baseball games are simulated instead of just adding up stats, but Scoresheet is "live", like regular roto. You draft before the season (usually with keepers) and then each week's stats are used to simulate 6 or 7 games against one opponent. There are end-of-season playoffs based on full-year stats.

The pluses are that you get to ignore stupid stats like saves, can manage playing time at all positions, create platoons, carry a (shallow) farm system, and actually value defense. The main con is that you'll pay like $80 a year (although first-time players pay like half that the first season.) It's not worth paying that money for a stupid league, but if you can get 10-20 good owners it's a blast.

Happy to answer questions about it, if you want to know more.

Comment

I've never done one before, but this sounds really cool.

Like Sky said, I'd only want to join a league with good owners as it seems it could pretty terrible with mediocre people in it.

Is there a good resource for finding a decent league?

Comment

Here's the explanatory web page: http://www.scoresheet.com/BB_index.php

First-year teams are $29.

Leagues with openings: http://www.scoresheet.com/BB_AvailableTeams.php (can view rosters, maybe contact commissioner)

Scoresheet Baseball message board: http://www.scoresheet.com/msg/list.php?5

You can always start a league with people you know.

Oh, yeah, the website is awful at first. You do get used to it, eventually.

Comment

if someone puts together an RJ league, I'm in.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I'd definitely do it as well. I could help out with some of the league management, but I'd prefer to have someone running things who has some experience with scoresheet.

Comment

Working...
              X