No announcement yet.

"New" CBS Commissioner experts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else had rosters for teams just vanish? 3 teams in my league have no one on their rosters now.

Just realized those teams didn't mark their keepers.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      I happen to stumble upon, when searching for something else, a part of CBS' site I've never seen before: under 'Help' then 'Glossary' it gives the percentage of their leagues that use a certain parameter. For instance, 82% of CBS leagues are mixed, 8% NL only, 7% AL only, and the remaining % are customized.

Here's the total for Add/Drops:
      Free For All -- 27%
      Waivers -- 40%
      Automatic FAAB -- 5%
      Commissioner FAAB -- Less than 5%
      Commissioner Approves All -- 12%
      None -- 11%

So FAAB is used in less than 10% of all CBS leagues, and those that need a more customized FAAB make up about 4% of all leagues.

I think we now know why they've never focused on improving the FAAB system.
      I missed this back in August but that is pretty meaningless. I want FAAB, but I don't use CBS FAAB because it doesn't meet our needs so I guess I'm in the "None" camp. The irrelevancy of these statistics is in the fact there is no way to know how many leagues would use their FAAB system if it actually served the proper purpose. Some leagues, like mine, use waivers and FAAB, and there is no way of knowing how many of the leagues in the "Commissioner Approves All" are just making do with a work around. "Free for All" is certainly not the way to go and those leagues need an intervention. CBS has an obligation to bring those leagues out of the '80's by offering a superior system (tongue in cheek).

I would venture to guess that some percentage of leagues in all the other categories above would indeed use an effective FAAB system if one were available and the total percentage would be far more in the 20-25% range, which certainly is worthy, especially when compared to a lot of the other features they do offer that I'd guess almost no one uses, such as the chat window on the live scoring page or, now in looking at that Help/Glossary page, voting on trades is another mostly unused feature that they offer.

Also, the fact the lack of an effective FAAB system appears to me to be one of the most frequent complaints about CBS on this forum and others should lead one to conclude it is in fact the one feature CBS should focus on. That and the fact I have seen numerous people praise OnRoto/TQStats' FAAB system and site it as one of the reasons they chose OnRoto over CBS. It's the main reason I considered moving my leagues to OnRoto and why I continue to think about trying someone new every year. Familiarity, and apparently the unrealistic hope that CBS will fix their FAAB and all will be fine, are what have kept me from leaving. I'd be curious to know what percentage of leagues use the FAAB system at OnRoto and how would CBS's FAAB percentage increase if they could lure some of the more advanced leagues from OnRoto.

Finally, while on the subject of OnRoto, they will modify their site and offer features for ONE league upon request, how many leagues do you think 10-25% of CBS leagues equates to?
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

I happen to stumble upon, when searching for something else, a part of CBS' site I've never seen before: under 'Help' then 'Glossary' it gives the percentage of their leagues that use a certain parameter. For instance, 82% of CBS leagues are mixed, 8% NL only, 7% AL only, and the remaining % are customized.

Here's the total for Add/Drops:
        Free For All -- 27%
        Waivers -- 40%
        Automatic FAAB -- 5%
        Commissioner FAAB -- Less than 5%
        Commissioner Approves All -- 12%
        None -- 11%

So FAAB is used in less than 10% of all CBS leagues, and those that need a more customized FAAB make up about 4% of all leagues.

I think we now know why they've never focused on improving the FAAB system.
        Top Chuckie beat me to the point with his explanation of why the 'cbs posted' stats mean little, if anything...

Comment

• Originally posted by BC... View Post
          Has anyone else had rosters for teams just vanish? 3 teams in my league have no one on their rosters now.

Just realized those teams didn't mark their keepers.
          Unfortunately that falls on the commish, who should have let everyone know they needed to check off their keepers by the Keeper deadline date. I had that happen one year a few years back and now make 100% certain I send out at least two notices to everyone to make sure they check them off. Even that doesn't work (every league has its bozos) but I checked every team and checked off the players for them.

Comment

• here's one CBS aggravation -- for whatever the reason, they seemed to have deleted your team logo from the home page. If you have the site bookmarked, the icon on your browser's bookmark bar was your team logo. Now, with that option gone, it shows up as the CBS logo.

Not a huge deal, but if you're in multiple CBS leagues and had them bookmarked (and especially if you just use icons, and not descriptions in your bookmark bar like I do), you now can't tell one from the other.

Comment

here's one CBS aggravation -- for whatever the reason, they seemed to have deleted your team logo from the home page. If you have the site bookmarked, the icon on your browser's bookmark bar was your team logo. Now, with that option gone, it shows up as the CBS logo.

Not a huge deal, but if you're in multiple CBS leagues and had them bookmarked (and especially if you just use icons, and not descriptions in your bookmark bar like I do), you now can't tell one from the other.
              Yes, I hate this. And to make matters worse, Firefox doesn't give you the option to remove the icons and just use the name of the link.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                Finally, while on the subject of OnRoto, they will modify their site and offer features for ONE league upon request, how many leagues do you think 10-25% of CBS leagues equates to?
                Yes... they have a pretty extensive parameters list now for different leagues. You can always set up your league parameters on OnRoto and see if they have what you are looking for already, TC, going thru the league set up option.

I do know that when I set up our leagues on there, there were a couple of choices where it said "currently, only 1 league does this..." and a couple of those options were weird to me, but they were there...

Can't recommend them highly enough... I wish my CBS leagues ported over there because I loathe the CBS interface (and it's like 50-80 bucks cheaper with more functionality options)...
                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  I have about 12 combined years with CBS now through multiple leagues. Guess how many FAAB issues I've run into? Zero. "Lack of an effective system"? Please. It works fine.

OnRoto sucks.
                  At cbs:

Can you see archived bids (winning/losing bids post deadline)?

If there is a tie bid, is the cbs system set up to award the player based on league rules or cbs designation?

Can you prioritize your contingency bids or is it still cbs high to low dollar bid?

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                    Yes... they have a pretty extensive parameters list now for different leagues. You can always set up your league parameters on OnRoto and see if they have what you are looking for already, TC, going thru the league set up option.

I do know that when I set up our leagues on there, there were a couple of choices where it said "currently, only 1 league does this..." and a couple of those options were weird to me, but they were there...

Can't recommend them highly enough... I wish my CBS leagues ported over there because I loathe the CBS interface (and it's like 50-80 bucks cheaper with more functionality options)...
                    We used OnRoto for our RJ Roto500 league last season and their FAAB system worked fine for what my league would need. It's just that I don't like the overall appearance of OnRoto, we obviously differ on that opinion, I'm more familiar and comfortable with all the other aspects of running a league on CBS, and I'm hesitant to deal with the fallout from my owners who either don't like OnRoto, or simply take too long to get up to speed on using it. I think my leagues runs smoother if I just leave us at CBS, it's just that my job would be so much easier if I could automate the FAAB process, but I suffer through it for the overall good of my leagues.

CBS also has the history of our league dating back to 2001, which is hard to let go. It doesn't get used much, but it is nice to have it there.
                    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Who cares? Sheesh, move on. Go use that crap over at OnRoto if it bothers you so much. For god's sake, stop making us listen to your whining.
                      TFB if you don't want to read what I write. 'ignore' is an option or don't open the thread up. I didn't rehash this topic, I responded. Who cares? Obviously more than just I as somebody else would not have brought the faab discussion back into play.

Have a nice life.

Comment

I wish you could see player salaries on the new Trade interface page (which I really like, actually) because it's a little annoying to have to go back and forth between a team's page and the trade page when looking to deal.
                        Exactly. In fact, I think wherever the players name appears, his salary should be there too. I have found that sometimes the quickest way to do this for trades is to click on the players individual page -which has all the salary info in the top- instead of the team page because it is a pop-up and it's easier than switching windows. But, then you don't see all the players on the team...

I'd like CBS to provide a printable sheet with all rosters with salaries on one page. The roster grid almost does this, but alas, no salaries.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                          I'd like CBS to provide a printable sheet with all rosters with salaries on one page.
                          That was a great feature at tqstats and something I miss. Another is the log in time stamp, lets you know who is rummaging around the site.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                            Exactly. In fact, I think wherever the players name appears, his salary should be there too. I have found that sometimes the quickest way to do this for trades is to click on the players individual page -which has all the salary info in the top- instead of the team page because it is a pop-up and it's easier than switching windows. But, then you don't see all the players on the team...

I'd like CBS to provide a printable sheet with all rosters with salaries on one page. The roster grid almost does this, but alas, no salaries.
                            You can do a custom report with exactly what information you want and export it to Excel. You might have to to a little formatting, but once you do it once you should be able to cut and paste it into a previously formatted version or copy the formatting, and then print out a one page report from Excel. I do it with all the relevant stats and salary and contract info and then shop through the other teams for trade ideas. It does take an 11x17 printout for all that info and all my league's teams and still be large enough to read.

Comment

• Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                              That was a great feature at tqstats and something I miss. Another is the log in time stamp, lets you know who is rummaging around the site.
                              OnRoto has that... [hidesfromeldiablo]
                              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Who cares? Sheesh, move on. Go use that crap over at OnRoto if it bothers you so much. For god's sake, stop making us listen to your whining.
                                I switched from All Star Stats... which I think has one of the best interfaces but at 5x the cost of OnRoto (and 3x of CBS), OnRoto's less flashy, yet serviceable, interface is more than palatable at the price.

Comment

Working...
                                X