Worst fantasy owner ever???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst fantasy owner ever???

My hometown league has been together for 20 years. There is an owner who has been in the league every year and he has not only never won the league..HE HAS NEVER ONCE EVEN FINISHED IN A MONEY SPOT!! 20 years...zero winnings.

Can you top that?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

If it's a money league, thank him for the donations......
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

We call those guys ATM owners, unfortunately we replaced our three this last year
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

In our first year, we had 8 owners and 8 categories, and had an owner that finished with 11 pts.
        The minimum, of course, was 8.

Current co-owners of one team did not waive, trade, or release a pitcher in the 2011 season, just juggled 11 pitchers in 9 spots and never had to cut one because 10 were never active at once.
        They spent a league-low $39 in-season dollars, and made only one (irrelevant) move in August and Sept.
        They did not make a trade last year, the only team not to do so.

And amazingly, down the stretch they climbed from 7th to 5th, their first money finish (5 pct) since 2007 (also 5th), and only the 3rd time since 1999 (also 5th). Their only finish above 5th is 3rd in 1996.

Oddly, though, they haven't finished last since the first owner's first season in 1994.

As far as "worst owners" - not even close. These guys love baseball, and have a great time with us, and they're welcome as long as they like - and our stakes aren't high enough (maybe $500 gross for first place) that it matters if they are "donors."

They split a bill a little under $100 each year, for an enjoyable hobby, and now and then they get most of their money back.....
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

My longtime 14 team mixed league is pretty competitive. We did have one long time bottom feeder that was replaced a few years ago. We now have one relatively new guy (this will be his 4th year) that is clearly our worst owner. He seems like a good guy and is active, but he's made some horrid trades and keeper decisions. I've tried to guide him in the peculiarities of our league ($400 cap, small increases for extensions, and huge inflation), but he continues to lock up cheap marginal talent to guaranteed contracts (think Tommy Hunter and Lastings Milledge) and ignores the value of underpriced super stars. He won't consider keeping a player for over $25 no matter how good he is, and despite our huge budget and inflation, but won't hesitate to give a 3 year extension to a potential waiver wire player, if he likes his upside, pushing his salary into the teens.

I don't know how to be any more helpful without coming off like a jerk. I think he thinks I have an agenda, even though I saved him from losing Strasburg last year by telling him to call him up in time, much to the chagrin of the vultures in my league who wanted to snatch him up. And I won it all this year, so I should have some cred, but any advice I give gets a "thanks, but I know what I'm doing." The result is last year he finished with the worst record, and not a single hitter on his team I would have rostered, even on my bench, on my championship team.

Comment

In my non-RJ league we have a guy who comes in every year having done no prep and his only goals are to 1) roster most of the Yankees and 2) to piss off the rest of us by having more $ than anyone at the end and outbidding us on all our 'sleepers.' He spends about $5 of his FAAB every year. Because we foolishly switched from roto to H2H for 6 [long] years he managed to make the playoffs one year despite having one of the worst teams but consistently finishes in the bottom third. We're all friends so his spot will never be in danger and, most importantly, he always pays his dues. (Mostly to me since I've won 4 of the last 9 and had only 1 non-$ finish during that span. )
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

We are starting the 10th year of our 18-team H2H league this year. There has been one team that has always been terrible (and it's actually been under two separate owners).

The first owner was bad. He always seemed to finish near the bottom (16th, 17th, 8th, 13th, 16th and 18th), he only made about 10 moves a year and didn't really maintain his lineup.

The new owner is worse. The team has finished 18th every year since he took over. He made a decent amount of moves in his first year, but hasn't made any moves in the last two years. He is also constantly drafting prospects who aren't in the majors, so he can't even set a proper lineup. The only thing he's got going for him is that he pays his league fees on time.

Comment

No one as bad as Mith's guy, but we have one guy who has been in the league since 1990, has never won, and before last year had not finished in the money since 2000. He punts saves every year and it never works -- our league has too much dump trading for anyone to accomplish much by conceding entire categories. He always nominates at least one player who is not eligible, and seems to have no idea who half the players called during dollar days are.

If you read my posts in the Auction Stories thread, he's "bathroom teleportation guy."
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  And amazingly, down the stretch they climbed from 7th to 5th, their first money finish (5 pct) since 2007 (also 5th), and only the 3rd time since 1999 (also 5th). Their only finish above 5th is 3rd in 1996.

Oddly, though, they haven't finished last since the first owner's first season in 1994.
                  Inactive owners almost never finish last, no matter how clueless they are, because while they don't make trades to improve, they don't make dump trades either.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Yes, in 1995 I flapped my arms wildly in vain to try to avoid my first last-place finish after 12 years in the league - and drowned in the tide while another owner sat on the beach watching, figuratively speaking.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

We have been going for 16 years and one owner never has come close. Good guy, knows a lot about baseball and is active until about July but rarely makes roster moves after that. A few years ago he was in first in July but finished 6th as he had 3 or 4 guys on the DL that he never replaced. Same guy does football every year and has made the playoffs once or twice but usually flounders in that as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X