Auction Bidding Rules -- Handling a Tie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction Bidding Rules -- Handling a Tie

One of my $ leagues is considering switching to open-style bidding. Currently, we go aroound the room clockwise on each player and you bid or pass. Once you pass -- you are out on that player.

One question that came up was how do leagues handle ties? Obviously the clear answer is to bid another dollar and win. But what if you cannot or the two bidders refuse to and no one else jumps in.

Can you help me understand how to handle each situation;

Situation #1 - The bid is at $25. Two guys raise their hands/bid at $25 and it is a tie. Neither is willing to go to $26 and no one else bids. What happens now?

Situation #2 - The bid is at $2 and two guys again tie on declaring that bid. Both are left with only $2 and neither can raise the bid. No one else wants to bid.

I can't see a solution for either and I don't want to put it on the auctioneer to declare 'so-and-so' raised his hand/declared first as that will just turn into a fight.

How does your league handle this?
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

auctioneer says, "so-and-so called it first..."
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

It's not as big a deal as it might seem. Most of the time, one of the guys will go the extra dollar.

Our practice is for the auctioneer to declare "I heard X first" if he hears more than one voice. Almost never will both (all) voices sound at exactly the same time, and it's usually pretty easy to pick up on who was first. If there is a dispute and one of the bidders is sitting farther from the auctioneer than the other, we will ask those at the far end to weigh in on what they heard. There has never been a prolonged argument about this in our league's history.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        It's not as big a deal as it might seem. Most of the time, one of the guys will go the extra dollar.

Our practice is for the auctioneer to declare "I heard X first" if he hears more than one voice. Almost never will both (all) voices sound at exactly the same time, and it's usually pretty easy to pick up on who was first. If there is a dispute and one of the bidders is sitting farther from the auctioneer than the other, we will ask those at the far end to weigh in on what they heard. There has never been a prolonged argument about this in our league's history.
        Same here, I think you are worrying a little too much about this one, or else you are in a very litigious league. I feel like ours is, and we've never had a prolonged argument either. We usually just put it out to the room who they thought they heard first and it's either settled that way or one of the guys or someone else ups the bid. Worst reaction I can remember was a sour face and sulk. Plus I think most of the ties happen early in the bidding when the bids are flying, once you get to the end it's usually down to two owners, one has the bid and the other is just deciding if he wants to go one more or let the player go.
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
          Same here, I think you are worrying a little too much about this one, or else you are in a very litigious league. I feel like ours is, and we've never had a prolonged argument either. We usually just put it out to the room who they thought they heard first and it's either settled that way or one of the guys or someone else ups the bid. Worst reaction I can remember was a sour face and sulk. Plus I think most of the ties happen early in the bidding when the bids are flying, once you get to the end it's usually down to two owners, one has the bid and the other is just deciding if he wants to go one more or let the player go.
          Exactly. Just let everyone in the room decide, or the auctioneer if you have one. Don't sweat it.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Our auctioneer has final say. As others noted, he'll sometimes ask for help, but no matter what, his word on a bid is final.

There's at least six lawyers in that league, and we've never had a problem.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Our auctioneer has final say. As others noted, he'll sometimes ask for help, but no matter what, his word on a bid is final.

There's at least six lawyers in that league, and we've never had a problem.
              ditto. well, not re: the lawyers. we've had a few contentious moments, but a call is made & we move on. As others have said, the vast majority of the time someone is willing to go the extra buck.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

We go with the auctioneer's ruling on that.

One thing stuck out, though. You said the bid was at $25 and two guys raised their hands. In an open auction, there is no standing bid, other than what the last owner bid. So, if the last owner bid $24, the remaining owners could bid whatever amount they wanted, whether $25, $26, $29, or whatever. A lot of people use jump bids in those cases. That's one reason that bidding is verbal in an open bid auction. It's a lot easier to determine who shouted out a dollar amount than to see whose hand went up first.

And, BTW, 16 years of live auctions in my league, and never a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  We go with the auctioneer's ruling on that.

One thing stuck out, though. You said the bid was at $25 and two guys raised their hands. In an open auction, there is no standing bid, other than what the last owner bid. So, if the last owner bid $24, the remaining owners could bid whatever amount they wanted, whether $25, $26, $29, or whatever. A lot of people use jump bids in those cases. That's one reason that bidding is verbal in an open bid auction. It's a lot easier to determine who shouted out a dollar amount than to see whose hand went up first.

And, BTW, 16 years of live auctions in my league, and never a problem.
                  Yeah, good point. There is no raising of hands to bid. It's not the 4th grade. It's a free for all.
                  I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                  X