2K12: Closers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This just in, Im punting saves on sunday
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      He's the best RH alternative right now, but that doesn't mean much, at least to anyone with a rational mind. IMO he's well behind Marshall or Chapman.
      Congrats DQ, you're the first person I've ever heard of giving Dusty Baker credit for having a rational mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
        Congrats DQ, you're the first person I've ever heard of giving Dusty Baker credit for having a rational mind.....
        No, I was leaving that part unsaid--"not that Dusty Baker is rational".

Since I own Marshall in at least one league, I'll predict that he'll name Chapman as closer, with Marshall pitching the eighth.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          No, I was leaving that part unsaid--"not that Dusty Baker is rational".

Since I own Marshall in at least one league, I'll predict that he'll name Chapman as closer, with Marshall pitching the eighth.
          I know, I was just being sarcastic lol.

With this in mind though, I did take a flier on the righty in the bullpen just because I know how stupid Baker is.

Comment

I read (possibly here) that Valverde could be the first closer to lose his job this year. I offered Benoit to the Valverde owner for Nova as insurance. He had bought Dotel and told me that's who he felt was first in line, and quoted 100 career saves to 8. Dotel is 38 and I think Benoit is still first in line. Thoughts?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
              I read (possibly here) that Valverde could be the first closer to lose his job this year. I offered Benoit to the Valverde owner for Nova as insurance. He had bought Dotel and told me that's who he felt was first in line, and quoted 100 career saves to 8. Dotel is 38 and I think Benoit is still first in line. Thoughts?
              Valverde? He was absolutely dominating last year, why would he lose the job?
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Valverde? He was absolutely dominating last year, why would he lose the job?
                He's due for regression and that defense behind him won't help, but Papa Grande will need an injury to lose his job. As a Tigers fan watching him pitch at times is ulcer enducing but his results speak for themselves and Leyland is probably the last manager to get an itchy trigger finger with his set in stone closer.

Comment

I posted this in another thread, but it probably belongs here.

RHP Henry Rodriguez is going to move to the closer's role while RHP Drew Storen is out. The Nationals placed Storen on the disabled list late in spring training due to elbow inflammation. The team's not sure when he'll be back, but Rodriguez's fastballs are pushing 100 mph. He's also got a back-breaking curve.
                  Yahoo

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I've not seen that reported anywhere else, and there's no attribution in the article. It's tossed off matter-of-factly and sounds like speculation.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I still picked Hot Rod on speculation in my 16 team league. Its worth it just for the knickname.

Therehas been talk of him wheeve replacing Storen came up.

The now-25-year-old Rodriguez has continued to impress this Spring, giving up just two hits and two walks while striking out six and holding opponents to a .095 BAA in 7 games and 7.0 IP. When Nats' skipper Davey Johnson today talked about possible alternatives should closer Drew Storen (bicep/tricep issues) not be ready to start the season, Rodriguez was one of two pitchers mentioned along with 35-year-old former Astros and Phillies' closer Brad Lidge. "'Those are the only two I'm willing to throw out there at this time,'" Johnson was quoted stating in NatsInsider.com's Mark Zuckerman's article this afternoon entitled, "Who closes if Storen isn't ready?"

HRod's improved control--2011 BB/9=6.17, ST BB/9=1.8--could easily get him the nod. This is a carry over from how he finished the season, 2.7 BB/9 over the last month. Everyone knows that Lidge has had success as a set up man.

Of course HotRod's ST rate of12.3 K/9 totally blows, but you cannot get everything.

J
                      Last edited by onejayhawk; 04-01-2012, 09:10 AM.
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I'm with Eric...I don't believe that report for a second. While Rodriguez might have some value in K's and ERA, it's doubtful that he gets saves unless Lidge really sucks.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Seems like Davey Johnson is the type of manager to do unconventional things. If he buys into H-Rod, I doubt he just "goes by the book" and uses Lidge.
                          Now, if he prefers Lidge, he'll use Lidge, of course.
                          It's just less automatic than with managers who afraid of their own shadows.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            Seems like Davey Johnson is the type of manager to do unconventional things. If he buys into H-Rod, I doubt he just "goes by the book" and uses Lidge.
                            Now, if he prefers Lidge, he'll use Lidge, of course.
                            It's just less automatic than with managers who afraid of their own shadows.
                            Frankly, I can't recall what type of manager Davey was...he hasn't held the job for damn near a decade. But no matter, I really don't think that we have a clue yet as to who he prefers...maybe he's been blowing smoke and Clippard has been his guy all along.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
                              He's due for regression and that defense behind him won't help, but Papa Grande will need an injury to lose his job. As a Tigers fan watching him pitch at times is ulcer enducing but his results speak for themselves and Leyland is probably the last manager to get an itchy trigger finger with his set in stone closer.
                              All that aside, who is first in line?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, Andrew Bailey was told Monday that he will need thumb surgery.

Paging Daniel Bard........
                                Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Working...
                                X