Heath Bell to the Marlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heath Bell to the Marlins

The Marlins appear to have a new closer.

According to multiple sources, the Marlins and All-Star Heath Bell agreed on a three-year deal Thursday night estimated at $9 million per, all pending a physical Friday here in South Florida. ESPN first reported the story.

With the future of incumbent closer Juan Carlos Oviedo (formerly known as Leo Nunez) up in the air, the Marlins have apparently been working behind the scenes on Bell for awhile.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...lion-deal.html

No more Leo/Juan Carlos!!! Marlins fans rejoice.

Comment

2012 Marlins bullpen = 2010 Padres pen

LeBlanc
      Mujica
      Bell
      Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        2012 Marlins bullpen = 2010 Padres pen

LeBlanc
        Mujica
        Bell
        Webb
        Outside of LeBlanc that's not to bad.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Pretty sure this is worth its own thread considering Moonlight J's turning every Rays transaction into its own thread

Comment

Nice pen the Marlins are putting together. Now what they need is the secret formula for motivating HanRam.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

A team that was 72-90 has no business giving $9M to a reliever over 3-4 seasons. None

When Stanton is moved because the team doesn't want to pay him what he's going to get in arb (BIG $$), they're going to regret throwing $36M at Bell. Colin Wyers has a nice small piece at BP about this today and how relievers perform after their FA deals. Hint -- not good

Comment

As a Marlins fan I am unhappy with the last off season and the beginning of this one. The Marlins made a string of bad decisions last year and seem to be continuing to do so now. I am surprised at these results as prior to this while being a stingy franchise they seemed to have a decent idea of player valuation. Despite no real changes in front office personel they seem to have lost their way. They are spending more money but doing it unwisely.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                  As a Marlins fan I am unhappy with the last off season and the beginning of this one. The Marlins made a string of bad decisions last year and seem to be continuing to do so now. I am surprised at these results as prior to this while being a stingy franchise they seemed to have a decent idea of player valuation. Despite no real changes in front office personel they seem to have lost their way. They are spending more money but doing it unwisely.
                  Agreed but don't worry...Bell will be traded to a contender after next season and the Marlins off the hook for the remainder of the contract.

It's nice that the Marlins have the old Padres bullpen...let's hope, for their sake, that the new stadium plays like Petco as well.
                  I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                  You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                  "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                  It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                    As a Marlins fan, you should be sick and freaking tired of Leo Nunez blowing every save in August and September...great teams are made with great pitching and defense, which seems to be what Miami is trying to do here.

I mean really, every time Leo came in, did you not expect him to blow the save or at least put a couple of guys on base??

And who says the Marlins wont have the cash to re-sign Stanton because they signed a RP?? They re-upped Hanley and Josh Johnson, and they will do the same for their other great young players.

Comment

When Stanton is moved because the team doesn't want to pay him what he's going to get in arb (BIG $$)
                      You're assuming the Marlins are going to act like the low-revenue, low-interest team they've usually been. But we don't know how accurate that assumption is, given the new stadium and its potential impact on revenues.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        You're assuming the Marlins are going to act like the low-revenue, low-interest team they've usually been. But we don't know how accurate that assumption is, given the new stadium and its potential impact on revenues.
                        low revenue or not, he's going to get a ton of cash in arbitration with how his numbers are trending so far. New stadium revenues are only guaranteed in year one. If that team is another 82-85 win team, they'll see a big drop-off in 2013 ticket sales.

The only 3 teams paying their closer this much: Yankees, Phillies, Marlins. One of those doesn't belong

Comment

The only 3 teams paying their closer this much: Yankees, Phillies, Marlins. One of those doesn't belong
                          Is it the Yankees? Cuz they are the lone AL team on this list...Yep, definitely the Yankees
                          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

If you are saying that you wouldnt be happy if the Rays signed Bell, I would kindly call it a stretching of the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                              Is it the Yankees? Cuz they are the lone AL team on this list...Yep, definitely the Yankees
                              Nah, it's the Phillies, because they're the only one that didn't play in the 2003 World Series.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X