Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verlander wins AL MVP

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...ns-al-mvp.html

Bored so I went to read up on the rumors and noticed this.

WOW!

I am speechless.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Michael Young got a 1st place vote from his fanboy Evan Grant

David Robertson got a vote

Dumbest subjective process.....

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      Michael Young got a 1st place vote from his fanboy Evan Grant

David Robertson got a vote

Dumbest subjective process.....
      so how would you make it objective?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          so how would you make it objective?
          1. You cannot vote for a guy on the team that you cover. This would only rule out beat writers, not national writers
          2. All manual votes will be weighed against an average score of the player's value as calculated by Baseball Prospectus, Fangraphs, and Baseball Reference.
          3. Relievers are not eligible. Anyone with a basic understanding of advanced metrics knows that even the most badass reliever is never going to be as valuable to a team as an everyday above average player
          4. You must fill out your entire ballot
          5. You must publicly disclose your ballot
          6. You must write a follow-up article explaining your thought process.

Comment

Embarrassing to vote a guy who hit .338, 106 RBIs, played three diff. INF positions and had at least 100 Abs in 3 key lineup spots MVP?
            If he was that damn good, you never have to move him anywhere in the lineup...ever

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              If he was that damn good, you never have to move him anywhere in the lineup...ever
              Right, because injuries and matchups aren't part of the game.

Oh wait...
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                Right, because injuries and matchups aren't part of the game.

Oh wait...
                MVP's don't need matchups....they're that good

He had 73 more plate appearances than Adrian Beltre and had exactly ONE more run driven in. He wasn't even a top 4 player on his own team

Comment

<script src="http://storify.com/jasoncollette/reactions-to-michael-young-s-1st-place-vote.js"></script><noscript><a href="http://storify.com/jasoncollette/reactions-to-michael-young-s-1st-place-vote" target="_blank">View the story "Reactions to Michael Young's 1st Place Vote" on Storify</a>]</noscript>

Comment

My opinion is that if Pedro doesn't win MVP in '99 then no SP should.
                    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                      yes, yes, and yes

Comment

It seems like so many guys these days have provisions in their contracts for bonuses if they win certain post-season awards, even if they are unlikely to do so. I wonder if Verlander had any such provisions. I'm guessing he had a Cy Young provision, but an MVP bonus? Would his agent have negotiated for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                          It seems like so many guys these days have provisions in their contracts for bonuses if they win certain post-season awards, even if they are unlikely to do so. I wonder if Verlander had any such provisions. I'm guessing he had a Cy Young provision, but an MVP bonus? Would his agent have negotiated for that?
                          According to Cot's, he had neither

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                            http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...ns-al-mvp.html

Bored so I went to read up on the rumors and noticed this.

WOW!

I am speechless.
                            Why are you speechless? I thought it had been acknowledged for quite some time, that he had a legitimate shot to win it.

Maybe Pedro deserved to win it in 99. And if so, the fact that he didn't, shouldn't mean that future deserving SP's never win it.

Comment

or Steve Carlton in 1972 who should have won it

anyhow, when voters are making statements like this:

@finyank13 @ChrisOrsogna @FranksYanks23 Yes, some voters use WAR. When I have had MVP votes, WAR has played NO part in my decisions.
                              it's tough to figure out. A metric, designed to do exactly what the award is intended for, completely being ignored? Shameful

Comment

Working...
                              X