This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
    related - this is my wife signing the 1886 unofficial national anthem before the championship game of my baseball league.

dude, frakking awesome, and we still need to meet!
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Fascinating article about baseball players of Haitian ancestry and their problems in getting signed by an MLB team:

As many as 1 in 10 Dominicans are of Haitian descent. So why do we know of virtually no Haitian Dominicans in the major leagues?

I was interested in this because I heard that Haiti recently started playing baseball whereas before recently they havent played it at all despite MLB baseballs being manufactured there for a long time. I also learned that a current top prospect, Estevan Florial, is from Haiti (I believe another prominent prospect also is from Haiti, but I dont remember which). I didnt know before that there are many Dominican ballplayers of recent Haitian ancestry or that Miguel Sano is one of these.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
        Fascinating article about baseball players of Haitian ancestry and their problems in getting signed by an MLB team:

As many as 1 in 10 Dominicans are of Haitian descent. So why do we know of virtually no Haitian Dominicans in the major leagues?

I was interested in this because I heard that Haiti recently started playing baseball whereas before recently they havent played it at all despite MLB baseballs being manufactured there for a long time. I also learned that a current top prospect, Estevan Florial, is from Haiti (I believe another prominent prospect also is from Haiti, but I dont remember which). I didnt know before that there are many Dominican ballplayers of recent Haitian ancestry or that Miguel Sano is one of these.
        Touki Toussaint is another player of Haitian ancestry.

Comment

• Article today at BA where they discuss the pitch clock and its effect on the duration of games:

Personally, in the minor league games I've attended in the past few years I've never seen a pitch clock violation enforced even once. But there were many times during the games when the pitch clock expired before the pitch was thrown. So I was surprised when the BA staff mentioned that it was 'sporadically' enforced. And I was also surprised that it actually has appreciably reduced the durations of minor league games. It seemed to me that the pitch clock so far has been a half-hearted effort to reduce game durations. Part of the problem is when the clock should be started and the attentiveness and skill of the people in charge of starting it. Yeah, it's supposed to start when the pitcher receives the ball back but what about when the batter steps out of the box or asks for time out? It should restart then but I never saw that happen. What about after mound visits? Never saw it restart after that either. What happens if the batter is a "human rain delay" like Mike Hargrove or Nomar Garciaparra? How can the pitcher be penalized for that? Shouldn't the batter get penalized for taking too long? It will be interesting to see what happens w this in MLB this year.
          Last edited by rhd; 01-20-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• And now MLB wont institute enforcement of the pitch clock in 2018 after all.

But mound visits will be limited to 6 per 9-inning game, w 1 extra allowed in extra innings.

Comment

• Physical analysis of the change in ball construction: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/juiced-baseballs/
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                Physical analysis of the change in ball construction: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/juiced-baseballs/
                Great read.

Comment

• a long read on the mystery of Ichiro, who just signed with the Mariners

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...nternal-battle
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    a long read on the mystery of Ichiro, who just signed with the Mariners

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...nternal-battle
                    Another great read. There are two types of inside the greatness stories I enjoy most. The story of the natural and the story if the nurtured talent. These days, I'm suspect all of the former are part myth. The latter really show the level of obsessive dedication it takes to be so much better at something than almost anyone that has ever lived. And this story also shows Ichiro's particular compulsiveness, which is fascinating, and a little sad, because it, like his talent, was nurtured rather than natural. Nurtured in an unhealthy way from his father, who forced Ichiro into greatness by killing his childhood.
                    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-09-2018, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• in golf, Tiger Woods (who btw is in contention after 1 round this week on the PGA Tour for the first time in years) is Ichiro-like.

The Golf Channel has been running a 2014 movie of late on the legendary Spanish golfer Seve Ballesteros (3 British Opens, 2 Masters). it's a natural talent story. his older brothers all played golf, and he chose to beat them all - not his father choosing that goal.

there's a joy that we saw in Ballesteros while succeeding that you don't quite feel from Ichiro or Tiger.

that said, I suspect Tiger has a final act that finally would be his, in a way that Ichiro will never see. I sure hope it's not just because Tiger's Dad has passed away, but.......
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• The next top prospect......in about 3 years.

The 15-Year-Old Baseball Phenom with 500-Foot Power:
                        http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• fantastic presentation -- http://apps.bostonglobe.com/sports/g.../launch-angle/

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            The next top prospect......in about 3 years.

The 15-Year-Old Baseball Phenom with 500-Foot Power:
                            http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
                            Anyone have thoughts on this kid? I am thinking of taking him as a lottery ticket type player in my M draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              Thanks for that, it's a great read ... and I love that it referred to a book a read as a teenager (which definitely helped my hitting!!!)

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• A batter called out after only 1 pitch? Didn't know this could happen.

The wonderful thing about baseball is that even the impossible is still possible.For example, during the Midland Rock Hounds (Oakland A's) Double-A battle ag...

Comment

Working...
                                X