Go read Seitzer's piece on batted balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go read Seitzer's piece on batted balls

Some team is eventually going to bring him on fulltime at the rate he's going....

Very interesting stuff. Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      http://t.co/Sz95zzRG

Some team is eventually going to bring him on fulltime at the rate he's going....
      Totally agree!

Mike, if you read this post, here's a question for you:

It would be really interesting to see changes over time for batters and pitchers. Specifically, I'm thinking about something akin to a decrease in a pitcher's average velocity year over year. Are there 10-15 pitchers who had a big swing in average hSOB from 2009 to 2010 (gainers and losers)? Similarly, are there hitters who exhibited a significant change? That could be a very interesting, and possibly predictive look at performance.

If so, could you share data (or select highlights)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        Totally agree!

Mike, if you read this post, here's a question for you:

It would be really interesting to see changes over time for batters and pitchers. Specifically, I'm thinking about something akin to a decrease in a pitcher's average velocity year over year. Are there 10-15 pitchers who had a big swing in average hSOB from 2009 to 2010 (gainers and losers)? Similarly, are there hitters who exhibited a significant change? That could be a very interesting, and possibly predictive look at performance.

If so, could you share data (or select highlights)?
        All I have access to is the HITf/x data from 2008 (privately) and the data from April 2009 that Sportvision previously made public.

I'd love to know the answer to the questions you ask, but I don't currently have access to the data to find the answers. One month of 2009 data just isn't a big enough sample to compare to 2008.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          All I have access to is the HITf/x data from 2008 (privately) and the data from April 2009 that Sportvision previously made public.

I'd love to know the answer to the questions you ask, but I don't currently have access to the data to find the answers. One month of 2009 data just isn't a big enough sample to compare to 2008.
          Some front office type will probably call you soon about that (and then you won't be able to disclose your findings!). I hope you remember the little people (i.e. fantasy baseball fans and sabermetric types)!!

Comment

I'm firmly convinced that vintage drafting is why I am where I am today with respect to baseball analysis.

And on a serious note, I don't think anyone is little people. There are lots of people here and around the online world that have given me good ideas and feedback, many of them not in any way associated with the typical sabermetric communities. If I go work for a team, one of the things I will miss is being able to share my findings with the world at large. I enjoy that conversation very much.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              I'm firmly convinced that vintage drafting is why I am where I am today with respect to baseball analysis.

And on a serious note, I don't think anyone is little people. There are lots of people here and around the online world that have given me good ideas and feedback, many of them not in any way associated with the typical sabermetric communities. If I go work for a team, one of the things I will miss is being able to share my findings with the world at large. I enjoy that conversation very much.
              I guess you'll just have to switch to sharing tickets.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                I guess you'll just have to switch to sharing tickets.
                That I might be able to do.

Comment

Second article on the topic of batted balls and BABIP is here:

Comment

Working...
                  X