Papelbon to the Phillies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papelbon to the Phillies

CSNPhilly says it's a done deal pending a physical. It's being reported as 4 years $50MM.

Jonathan Papelbon's desire to set the market for closers was never a secret -- it's now a reality. The Phillies …
    Last edited by ; 11-11-2011, 02:45 PM.

ugh ...
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

and they have to give up picks, right?

Comment

They will if:

1 - CBA doesn't change
        2 - Madson doesn't sign elsewhere

Madson is higher on the Elias ratings than Papelbon, but if that Type A scares people away and he accepts arb and comes back, Phillies are screwed out of a 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          They will if:

1 - CBA doesn't change
          2 - Madson doesn't sign elsewhere

Madson is higher on the Elias ratings than Papelbon, but if that Type A scares people away and he accepts arb and comes back, Phillies are screwed out of a 1st.
          And fantasy owners everywhere are screwed out of a good keeper at closer. Yuck, I say!

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
            And fantasy owners everywhere are screwed out of a good keeper at closer. Yuck, I say!
            Or possibly falling into one with Daniel Bard

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
              Or possibly falling into one with Daniel Bard
              Red Sox apparently are interested in Madson.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                Red Sox apparently are interested in Madson.
                and Heath Bell. Already there are reports that the Sox don't trust Bard as the closer due to his late-season disaster.

Comment

They're not doing long-term deals for both, got too much other business to take care of and Madson wants a long-term deal for closer money. They will offer him arb if the draft-pick compensation rules don't change.

The rest of the pen should barely make a blip in the budget. Bastardo, Stutes and Herndon will all be back, and all are cheap. Aumont, DeFratus, Schwimer and some other young folks will also get chances to win roster spots.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    Phillies are screwed out of a 1st.
                    Phils don't care about 1sts. Instead they pick first-round talent that fell because of signability concerns in later rounds, and offer them first- or second-round money.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Phils don't care about 1sts. Instead they pick first-round talent that fell because of signability concerns in later rounds, and offer them first- or second-round money.
                      Really? Isn't this the "strategy" of many teams these days? When the Pirates are willing to go over slot this hardly becomes a competitive advantage.

Comment

I quit chasing saves a long time ago. At least I did in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          So long as Madson signs elsewhere, which I can't imagine him not, the Phils could actually move up in the draft. They give Boston their pick #31 and pick up the other teams so long as they are not in the top half of the draft. They also pick up a sandwich pick in this deal. So you have Madson and the #31 pick or you have Papelbon and possibly a better pick plus a sandwich pick. Right?

sigh.. after this year I'm going to have to change my sig though.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Yes, if the Phils offer him arb.

Your sig would have needed an update anyway, as Lidge won't be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hoffman of Philadelphia Daily News
                              Money is no object.

Budgets are for losers.

Jonathan Papelbon is the Phillies' closer.

Ruben Amaro Jr. is the luckiest man in the world.

That about sums it up. It is hard to know what else to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X