Madson: 4 years, $44 million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madson: 4 years, $44 million

Oh Ruben Amaro, when will you ever learn?

is this a done deal?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Isn't there currently about 9 'closers' on the free agent market, many with much more experience? What does papelboner think he is going to get now that he has seen this?

Comment

Wasn't it 12-18 months ago when they were throwing out a dead-armed Lidge over Madson because they didn't trust Madson in the 9th? 3/24 would have been max for me, and that's pushing it.

Comment

Amaro is always aggressive, and I'm pretty sure he likes it that way. He's much happier going in, guns blazing, and getting all of his business out of the way as soon as possible than he is allowing the market to develop and come to him. He very rarely gets below market deals because of this, but he does always get his targets. There are certainly worse qualities I could envision a GM to have. His schtick obviously wouldn't work in a smaller market, but I think it's okay for a big market like the Phils.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            is this a done deal?
            I'm seeing reports that it might not be a done deal... pending ownership approval, maybe.

Still think Papelboner will be sad when he finds out 3/30 is the best he can get, and I'm not sure who even gives him that.

Comment

I'm seeing reports that it might not be a done deal... pending ownership approval, maybe.

Still think Papelboner will be sad when he finds out 3/30 is the best he can get, and I'm not sure who even gives him that.
              This is the same I have heard. Supposedly it is awaiting Dave Montgomery's approval which has been "on his desk" for over a day.

I can't find the link where I heard that.
              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                Amaro is always aggressive, and I'm pretty sure he likes it that way. He's much happier going in, guns blazing, and getting all of his business out of the way as soon as possible than he is allowing the market to develop and come to him. He very rarely gets below market deals because of this, but he does always get his targets. There are certainly worse qualities I could envision a GM to have. His schtick obviously wouldn't work in a smaller market, but I think it's okay for a big market like the Phils.
                Yep, that's exactly his MO.

It would have been inconceivable to a Phillies fan of 10 years ago that the franchise would be able to do business this way. He just doesn't care about market value because the team isn't operating in the same market.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                  This is the same I have heard. Supposedly it is awaiting Dave Montgomery's approval which has been "on his desk" for over a day.

I can't find the link where I heard that.
                  @jon_Heyman had it this morning on twitter
                  I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                  You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                  "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                  It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    Yep, that's exactly his MO.

It would have been inconceivable to a Phillies fan of 10 years ago that the franchise would be able to do business this way. He just doesn't care about market value because the team isn't operating in the same market.
                    Even after the success they have had since buying Thome (the first time)I still can not get used to this. Gone are they days of Jeff Stone, Ron Jones, Chris James, Tyler Green, Mark Grace and such being the future hopes of getting the team to .500.
                    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                      @jon_Heyman had it this morning on twitter
                      TY. Forgot to look there. I was checking the Phillies blogs for a link.

Comment

Might be held up for a few days until the new CBA is ratified.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                          Even after the success they have had since buying Thome (the first time)I still can not get used to this. Gone are they days of Jeff Stone, Ron Jones, Chris James, Tyler Green, Mark Grace and such being the future hopes of getting the team to .500.
                          The Phillies have definitely entered the Super Power realm, making it a triumvirate with the Evil Empire and the BoSox.

Comment

I think I read that it is on hold. Maybe someone was reading comments in here?

Comment

The most plausible explanation is what I said about the CBA. There's also a rumor that Papelbon is still in the mix and they may be playing the two off of each other.

Comment

Working...
                              X